• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

I'm late for the Mass Effect ending talk, but what really grinded my gears was the way the original ending implied that the entire universe was wiped out, thus rendering most of the ending null and void.

Hooray, you stopped the Reapers! You also initiated hundreds of supernova-level explosions that would wipe out most of the major populated systems (including destroying pretty much every major homeworld up to and including Earth and the Citadel), so good job!

Scizzy

I'm late for the Mass Effect ending talk, but what really grinded my gears was the way the original ending implied that the entire universe was wiped out, thus rendering most of the ending null and void.

Hooray, you stopped the Reapers! You also initiated hundreds of supernova-level explosions that would wipe out most of the major populated systems (including destroying pretty much every major homeworld up to and including Earth and the Citadel), so good job!

I probably would have been fine with this if it had seemed at all intentional, but the game seemed to make no effort to think through any of the endings. I was expecting a bleak ending and would have been fine with it (they actually ended up using the exact ending I was expecting, a future civilization uncovering a desperate transmission from Liara moments before Shepherd's defeat that gave them information for their upcoming battle with the Reapers, in one of the dlc-added endings), but the sheer laziness was unforgivable.

Patryn

I probably would have been fine with this if it had seemed at all intentional, but the game seemed to make no effort to think through any of the endings. I was expecting a bleak ending and would have been fine with it (they actually ended up using the exact ending I was expecting, a future civilization uncovering a desperate transmission from Liara moments before Shepherd's defeat that gave them information for their upcoming battle with the Reapers, in one of the dlc-added endings), but the sheer laziness was unforgivable.

That's exactly it. I think it's also why the whole "Lots of speculation from everyone!" was so infuriating. It felt like they were so far up their own asses thinking they were being so deep, when really it was the most shallow shit possible.

They should have realized that they were fucking it up when they had to add some random bad consequences to Destroy to avoid it being the no-brainer solution.

In Invisible Inc, the timer reached 0 and I started a new mission and once I finished it I instantly warped to another area and started another one. Is this the final mission or does it have a part 3 as well?

wonder how dan is taking the news that cena is out for WM. Seems like this will either be the best WM in ages or possibly the worst WM ever given how all the stalwarts are hurt. They could use this to push new talent but i dont thing the WWE is capable of doing anything sensible.

Tubobutts

wonder how dan is taking the news that cena is out for WM. Seems like this will either be the best WM in ages or possibly the worst WM ever given how all the stalwarts are hurt. They could use this to push new talent but i dont thing the WWE is capable of doing anything sensible.

Perfect time to call Dirty Dan up to the big leagues.

How is the US known for self-loathing?

eastern us*

have you ever been to new york city?

Also LTTP on the Mass Effect stuff but it's really just because the ending boiled down to nothing after a game very focused around your decisions impacting major events, as well as the ending being a very contrived "well we don't know how to actually influence the ending like that so here's starchild."

eastern us*

Also LTTP on the Mass Effect stuff but it's really just because the ending boiled down to nothing after a game very focused around your decisions impacting major events, as well as the ending being a very contrived "well we don't know how to actually influence the ending like that so here's starchild."

It's embarrassing but especially in a post Fallout New Vegas and Witcher games world where developers had figured out how to make your choices matter and not give you a shit ending in return.

ME3 just reeks of the same EA mentality that shat the bed with Dragon Age 2: put out a product and fuck you. And the sad thing is that ME3 had a significant delay, too, so who knows what that game looked like before it got pushed back but we can bet it was in pretty bad shape for EA to allow for a delay.

that said, even with the bullshit it's still the second best ME game.

eastern us*

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-least-happy-states-in-america/6959/

it's funny that the mid-atlantic and northeast are in the middle; it makes total sense. we're unhappy but are content in our discontent

I don't know how to function when not in a constant state of mild malaise

that said, even with the bullshit it's still the second best ME game.

yep, because 2 is a bad game

These Castlevania speedruns on AGDQ are pretty great after watching VinnyVania.
In Invisible Inc, the timer reached 0 and I started a new mission and once I finished it I instantly warped to another area and started another one. Is this the final mission or does it have a part 3 as well?

That's the final mission.

that's a funny way to talk about mass effect 1, by using the number 2.

Even if you didn't like the stripping down of the RPG stuff in ME2, the story was much more engaging and the DLC content was some of the best that came out last gen. Plus, they left the mako shit for the DLC so they spare the average gamer that awfulness.

My only gripe with it was that it suffered from a really terrible audio sync issue on the PS3 where most of the cutscenes were completely off. But otherwise, it was one of the few games i got all of the trophies/acheevos on

Heimbeck

Banned

2537625-vinnygoofin.gif

Patryn

Even if you didn't like the stripping down of the RPG stuff in ME2, the story was much more engaging
lol

Plus, they left the mako shit for the DLC so they spare the average gamer that awfulness.
double lol

Sorry, sometimes can't help taking swings at the low hanging fruit. I'm going to shut up about Mass Effect now. Lord knows I've killed the equivalent of several trees on GAF arguing about this shit.

kvk1

I have no problem going through this monthly charade of spending a page on which ME game is the best.

And I have no problem constantly reiterating that it's 2.

That's two (2). Mass Effect 2.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
legit upset that someone grabbed the username Vic Tokai and barely ever posts

What's funny is that it was a second choice name for me. I started using it years ago when I tried to get "Duke Togo" as my Xbox Live name but was, of course, beaten to the punch on that one. I remembered Vic Tokai as being the publisher of the NES Golgo 13 game and thought, "eh, sure, why not, that also works as an account name."

Anyway, I have actually grown fond of using the Vic Tokai name and have carried it over to most of my gaming-related accounts since then.

Now, back to my lurker cave.

Kimaka

ME1 is the best. It just barely beats 2 because of the soundtrack. ME3 was a disappointment. It had an awful beginning and ending with some okay parts in the middle.

Paul Ryckert not eating in new orleans, fuck paul New Orleans is like one of the cheapest and best cities to fucking eat at ever. I can go to NOLA and just hit up bars and restaurants and live like a fucking king, that city might be the best city for food in all of the states.

Gulf oyster poboys, cafe du monde, pounds of crawfish till i fucking die. If you even kinda like seafood that city is pure gold

repeater

Sorry, sometimes can't help taking swings at the low hanging fruit. I'm going to shut up about Mass Effect now. Lord knows I've killed the equivalent of several trees on GAF arguing about this shit.
GAF is made out of trees?

GAF is the worst.

daveo42

Banned
I've never completed a ME game. I started with 1 a few years ago and couldn't get over the Bioware Exposition Hump that seemingly every one of their games has. While I love that they do build out their worlds, I wish all of that building didn't happen all at once right after the opening of the game.

Mass Effect 1 is a bad game with a good story.

Mass Effect 3 is the best ME game with a terrible story.

Mass Effect 2 isnt great at anything but it isnt terrible at anything so I guess it wins.

I played ME1 right before ME2 came out because I wanted to import a guy that wasn't butt-fugly. (I didn't know you got to change how they looked).

ME1 has Garrus and Wrex and the rest of the squadmates are terrible. Tali becomes amazing in 2/3, but she was infinitely boring in 1. Ashley the space racist is awful, and Kaiden is as generic as Jacob in 2. Unconfident Liara sucks.

The shooting is butt, the planets are 99% empty and the stuff on them is hardly exciting. Text logs are the best things about those locations. The citadel is fucking un-navigable.

The shooting is five times as good in ME2/3, and the powers are 10x as cool. Biotic charge, invisibility, some actual useful shit for the soldier instead of arbitrary ammo, making the tech classes actually viable etc.

People like to glorify ME1, and I loved that game, but it's not some game that is 'perfect except the shooting could be a little better'.

2 has better characters, better variety, better story (I'm including the side stuff), better DLC (best of all time, possibly), better ship, better looks, better shooting, funnier and more heartfelt.

So I got to that Fallout 4 moment Jeff was bringing up on the GOTY casts and I don't know what he's talking about. It's just a lone blimp flying through the sky for me.

So I got to that Fallout 4 moment Jeff was bringing up on the GOTY casts and I don't know what he's talking about. It's just a lone blimp flying through the sky for me.

I kind of just assumed that because the game sets the bar so low, any kind of scripted sequence becomes noteworthy by default

Chuck

Still without luck
People like to glorify ME1, and I loved that game, but it's not some game that is 'perfect except the shooting could be a little better'.

It's definitely not. The problem is that they didn't even try to fix any of the things you mentioned . They just threw them away and made a corridor shooter with a much more limited scope, while making all the other elements worse.

The Japanese version of CV3's music is still garbage but much better than the American version thanks to the extra notes. The AGDQ guys just destroyed that game.

I apparently completely missed it, I don't know if it's actually something you can miss or if it broke.

it's when you leave the corvair factory. if you're not paying attention, I guess you could miss it. it kind of just flies overhead and someone's yakking on the loudspeaker

Yeah I looked that up after he talked it up on the GOTY casts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyj7FZZPDro

Like...wat

hahah that's way more impressive than when I played, I came out at night and was getting shot at by people so I barely noticed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom