• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm not a celebrity, but I also post pictures of myself with my family all over the internet

True but people you'll never meet aren't actively seeking your location or what you are currently doing in a way they are with the Giant Bomb staff.

We are talking about a man who Periscopes his trips to Taco Bell. He does not seem like a man worried about his privacy.

Very true. It's not just the privacy that makes it weird to me. I'm sort of baffled that there are people who genuinely care what Dan Ryckert is up to this very moment; him being in or out of the office, etc.

As much as I enjoy them, putting up the recording of getting drunk with your dad on the same place as quick looks and premium features is definitely weird

It's a personality driven website and Dan is very good at marketing his personality. He's incredibly intelligent when it comes to this type of stuff. He's cultivating a following much like Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, and so on did and still do. I think he's going more along a guerilla marketing style rather than a traditional one that the Gamespot people did when Giant Bomb started. Dan could potentially form his own traditional media empire in the future with the work he's doing today for sure. I understand his desire to market himself, but it's weird to me that we know more about his life then anyone else at Giant Bomb in less time.

danm999

Several page late to reply to this post about the ending of Witcher 3 but
I agree about that stuff being the highlight of the ending hours of that game, but I don't think it needed to come at the expense of an interesting antagonist.

Yeah sure, that Eredin shouldn't factor into the ending isn't too much of an excuse for why he isn't a more fleshed out antagonist. It is kind of a step down from 2 given how well Letho is written.

I beat all of the bosses on Death March without issues. Got to learn how to use the dodge and they will never touch you, frog excluded. My poor alt key.

I never really got stuck on any of them (playing on Blood & Broken Bones) but
the Caretaker in particular with his crazy health regeneration
just seemed unnecessarily tedious.

I never really got stuck on any of them (playing on Blood & Broken Bones) but
the Caretaker in particular with his crazy health regeneration
just seemed unnecessarily tedious.
It's similar to the Ghost Lady in Infinite that once you know the trick to stopping the health regeneration it's a really easy fight. Although in this case it's not so much a trick as it is a fight step.

repeater

Dan could potentially form his own traditional media empire in the future with the work he's doing today for sure.
Yeah! And after that, the sky is the limit!

waTbsLQ.jpg

RYCKERT/LANG '28, BABY!

danm999

I beat all of the dlc bosses on Death March without issues. Got to learn how to use the dodge and they will never touch you, frog excluded. My poor alt key.

The books basically say that when Geralt fights it looks like he's dancing. But the games aren't great at communicating this as an optimal strategy. Once you get it though the game becomes easy on even hard.

popo

As much as I enjoy them, putting up the recording of getting drunk with your dad on the same place as quick looks and premium features is definitely weird

Premium features have always included wierd off topic stuff. I don't know why Dan makes his family stuff premium though. He doesn't owe CBS the recordings made in his own time (I doubt they are insisting on it) and I would have though he would have wanted the widest possible audience.

True but people you'll never meet aren't actively seeking your location or what you are currently doing in a way they are with the Giant Bomb staff.

Very true. It's not just the privacy that makes it weird to me. I'm sort of baffled that there are people who genuinely care what Dan Ryckert is up to this very moment; him being in or out of the office, etc.

I don't really care one way or another about some of their over sharing. I think you are being a bit dramatic though. Finding out that someone is at Taco Bell or working from home is hardly going to make them the target of a deranged stalker like you seem to think. If they do have stalkers, I don't think they will be looking for random tweets to find out where their victims are. That info is freely available on the internet. Jeff has had his home address out there for years and AFAIK he hasn't had anyone going through his trash or masturbating through his letterbox - well not GB fans anyway, that guy across the street has mental health issues.

neshcom

Banned
Premium features have always included wierd off topic stuff. I don't know why Dan makes his family stuff premium though. He doesn't owe CBS the recordings made in his own time (I doubt they are insisting on it) and I would have though he would have wanted the widest possible audience.

I feel like making that sort of stuff free would be even weirder. By prem-gating it, it's really focussing on the Bombfam and less on the general public that doesn't care so much about him and Paul.

It's similar to the Ghost Lady in Infinite that once you know the trick to stopping the health regeneration it's a really easy fight. Although in this case it's not so much a trick as it is a fight step.

Oh god the ghost lady in Infinite is one of my least favorite boss fights of all time. I had like no ammo going in and it took me forevvver. Nothing in Hearts of Stone frustrated me like that, thank god.

Tubobutts

Canada also gave you ReBoot. Respect.

Yeah but I remember nothing about ReBoot other than that there was someone called Megabyte.

Also, the Pizza Hut near me is terrible. Not only are they not doing the $5 Flavor Menu thing, but the $20 Big Dinner Box is actually $22.

Toparaman

Banned
I'm sure most of you have seen it already, but GBeast's playthrough of Contradiction is a must-watch if you enjoyed the past Metal Gear Scanlons. It is so odd and campy and funny. I'm probably going to buy a copy just to support the devs.

reboot was one of my favorite shows as a kid. I remember buying the reboot game for PS1 from a KBToys. I don't think I ever beat it because it was probably bad. But I didn't beat many games as a kid.

Dineren

Banned
I'm sure most of you have seen it already, but GBeast's playthrough of Contradiction is a must-watch if you enjoyed the past Metal Gear Scanlons. It is so odd and campy and funny. I'm probably going to buy a copy just to support the devs.

That was probably my favorite content last year. I ended up buying the game after the first QL and then watching the rest after playing it. Fantastic game that was well worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom