• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomberOwl

Hopefully GameSpot gets some more reviewers and puts out more video reviews. That use to be the best part about GS. I can't stand IGN reviews or other sites most of the time. IGN's 100 point scale is so dumb. But when they're the only site reviewing most games... blah. Come on GS.

Myggen

Hopefully GameSpot gets some more reviewers and puts out more video reviews. That use to be the best part about GS. I can't stand IGN reviews or other sites most of the time. IGN's 100 point scale is so dumb. But when they're the only site reviewing most games... blah. Come on GS.

Seems like they're moving more in the direction of freelance reviews.

Could be for sure. I get the feeling he's trying to segue into a Youtube/Streaming position for financial income, which I find interesting. I have the same curiosity about the transition was like for Jeff from Gamespot to starting his own business was like. I imagine it's incredibly stressful and overcoming obstacles takes a lot of determination. It's fascinating to me.

Unless he's planning to live off of a couple of bucks a month I doubt he's doing it so he can ditch writing and move to just youtube and streaming for a living. He's just continuing the stuff that he did when he was solo at GB as he clearly enjoyed doing those streams and built a following doing so.

justjim89

Between watching Dan's playthrough and my own recent new playthrough, I'm starting to wonder... does Dark Souls 1 kinda suck? I mean, I've never beaten it (furthest I've got is Crystal Cave as a magic user following a character build guide on how to get the most out of it), but I've had fun and enjoyed playing it. So much of that game feels like work, though.

"Undead Burg and Undead Parish is fun... but the Gargoyles kinda suck."

"Quelaag is a really cool boss... but Blighttown is awful."

"The forest has a cool atmosphere... but Sif and the cats and the Hydra aren't fun."

"Getting through Sen's Fortress and reaching Anor Londo feels like a hell of an accomplishment... but then Smough and Ornstein ruin it."

I understand the point of the game is to be challenging and not hold your hard, and the rewards are sweeter when you do earn them, but so much of that game is like one step forward, two steps back. But hey, I keep playing it and saying I'm a fan of the series, so maybe I'm an idiot.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Unless he's planning to live off of a couple of bucks a month I doubt he's doing it so he can ditch writing and move to just youtube and streaming for a living. He's just continuing the stuff that he did when he was solo at GB as he clearly enjoyed doing those streams and built a following doing so.

The popularity of reaction style videos on Youtube makes me doubt he's doing it just for fun. Granted, I have not watched this one in particular. I just got the vibe from his Periscope stream of AGDQ. It was pretty clear that he was hamming it up.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with him chasing Youtube monies, for the record. I'll continue to be a subscriber to his channel and continue to consume the content I enjoy that he creates. I think it would be pretty cool to have him on more video content, to be honest.

Frith

Between watching Dan's playthrough and my own recent new playthrough, I'm starting to wonder... does Dark Souls 1 kinda suck? I mean, I've never beaten it (furthest I've got is Crystal Cave as a magic user following a character build guide on how to get the most out of it), but I've had fun and enjoyed playing it. So much of that game feels like work, though.

"The forest has a cool atmosphere... but Sif and the cats and the Hydra aren't fun."

"Getting through Sen's Fortress and reaching Anor Londo feels like a hell of an accomplishment... but then Smough and Ornstein ruin it."

I understand the point of the game is to be challenging and not hold your hard, and the rewards are sweeter when you do earn them, but so much of that game is like one step forward, two steps back. But hey, I keep playing it and saying I'm a fan of the series, so maybe I'm an idiot.

2 is better but everyone cant get over their first and some sort of moral obsession with the world being logically connected.

Zekes!

Yo guys

people weren't kidding

The Witcher 3 is real good, damn.

Glad I played Fallout 4 before I went into this lol

Bowlie

Banned

I'm one of those guys who think DS2 is better, so I dunno

The entire world of DS is ugly, with enemies filled with murderous intent and bosses that could kill you in one hit without you even knowing what you did wrong (while in DS2 sometimes I felt like I was dancing with the enemy, and the bosses are more forgiving). If I hadn't played it with a friend, I don't think I'd have fun playing it; everything is so oppressive, almost too much.

Hell is wrong with you? I at least agree Ornstein and Smough aren't good. Broken boss fight that forces you to get them stuck behind pillars to beat them which looks stupid as hell.

popo

Did the latest Lobby get posted as a podcast? Can't see it but GS site is even worse than GB for finding anything.

hamchan

I find Dark Souls 1 is legitimately one of the best games of the last generation and maybe even THE game of the generation.

There's not really much else to say in reply to your post. Just replace all the adjectives you used in those sentence about things that "suck" with "brilliant" from my view.

You guys sure are very concerned with how Patrick conducts himself on the internet

I've been pretty vocal before about how I don't think Patrick is an amazing on-screen personality or whatever you want to call it, but I still think he's capable of producing compelling content. He was moving in an intriguing direction with some of the more experimental videos he was making towards the end of his career at GB. He was actively trying to do new things with his videos, which is why it's so disappointing to see what his video output has become. Mario Maker Mornings can be entertaining, sure, but it's a real bummer to see that he's totally abandoned working on that unique style in favor of being a fairly generic Twitch streamer. None of the videos he makes are interesting anymore, and it just feels like he's on autopilot, doing what everybody else does to gain an audience. This latest video feels like a step even further in that direction, and it's upsetting to think that the person who wrote this tweet is the same person who made this image.

It's banal. He's free to do whatever he wants, but I still can't help but expect better from Patrick than that, because I know he can do better.

Who the hell says O&S ruin anything? They are one of the best boss fights ever and a perfect end to a great area.

Only part that proper sucks about Dark Souls 1 is Lost Izalith.

daveo42

Banned
Austin had mentioned the game That Dragon, Cancer I think on the first podcast of the year when discussing upcoming 2016 games. If anyone was interested in hearing more about it, one of the other podcasts I listen too did a story on the creator, the game, and the circumstances surrounding its creation.

Just an FYI, it does cover a good portion of the game if you wanted to avoid spoilers, but I still found to be a very great listen.
https://gimletmedia.com/episode/50-the-cathedral/

I've been following it since 2013 (maybe?), when Joel was still alive and Ryan was planning to port it to OUYA. I'm really happy to know I'll be able to play the game soon.

This wasn't even on my radar until it was mentioned last week. I'm planning on buying it when it comes out. I haven't read the Wired article at all, but I'm glad it's getting some actual exposure.

Bowlie

Banned
Austin had mentioned the game That Dragon, Cancer I think on the first podcast of the year when discussing upcoming 2016 games. If anyone was interested in hearing more about it, one of the other podcasts I listen too did a story on the creator, the game, and the circumstances surrounding its creation.

Just an FYI, it does cover a good portion of the game if you wanted to avoid spoilers, but I still found to be a very great listen.

I've been following it since 2013 (maybe?), when Joel was still alive and Ryan was planning to port it to OUYA. I'm really happy to know I'll be able to play the game soon. I'll give it a listen!

Who the hell says O&S ruin anything? They are one of the best boss fights ever and a perfect end to a great area.

Only part that proper sucks about Dark Souls 1 is Lost Izalith.

After dying 10 times, it became boring. When I killed them, instead of feeling joy I felt relief that I wouldn't need to do that fight again.

danm999

I've been watching old UPFs and I wish they never lost the novelisation of Space Jam Jeff would read.

Now I'll never know whether the Nerdlucks enslaved the Looney Tunes and whether Michael Jordan's baseball career ended up being as celebrated as his basketball.

justjim89

Hell is wrong with you? I at least agree Ornstein and Smough aren't good. Broken boss fight that forces you to get them stuck behind pillars to beat them which looks stupid as hell.

I love the idea of fighting a giant wolf with a sword in his mouth, but I really don't like that fight. All his wide swings and seemingly-consequence-free hopping around the map, and the game seems to randomly decide which of his swings are blockable and which aren't.

I know it's all subjective, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the rough patches for me objectively suck, but it's like a constant give and take. So much more so than most games.

Also, about the Ryckertcast:
Paul is so much goddamn weirder and crazier than Dan. This podcast was like a therapy session.

This wasn't even on my radar until it was mentioned last week. I'm planning on buying it when it comes out. I haven't read the Wired article at all, but I'm glad it's getting some actual exposure.

Yeah I heard this story through Radiolab and immediately wondered if Austin was aware of it

strafer

Dan is enjoying himself waaay to much shooting guys in their dicks in that Stranglehold piece on UPF.

Also, did Dan ever watch Hardboiled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom