• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noaloha

I was bored and people were chatting about anime and i haven't watched anime in like 20 years (Oedo 808, Ghosty Shell, whatever) and I went to anime netflix and I recalled some Gaf thread saying HunterxHunter was super best in class great. I watched a few episodes and... It's okay? But like, excruciatingly exposition heavy and hand-holding? Did I pick a Good One?

yami4ct

I think I might be done watching Dan play Dark Souls. Dude is free to play however he wants, but throwing a bunch of armor on and fat rolling and letting summons beat bosses for you isn't fun as a viewer.

I think I might be done watching Dan play Dark Souls. Dude is free to play however he wants, but throwing a bunch of armor on and fat rolling and letting summons beat bosses for you isn't fun as a viewer.

I hope on the Bombcast next week he's like "I don't know what people are always on about, that game is easy as hell!"

yami4ct

I hope on the Bombcast next week he's like "I don't know what people are always on about, that game is easy as hell!"

He's totally going to do something like that for the troll factor. He was trolling the chat/comments constantly while he was summoning for the Gargoyles. Tons of 'Man I'm good at this game'.

Like I said, dude is free to play as he wants. If he still finds the game fun cheesing his way through, than go for it. I just probably won't be tuning in if he keeps this style.

I was bored and people were chatting about anime and i haven't watched anime in like 20 years (Oedo 808, Ghosty Shell, whatever) and I went to anime netflix and I recalled some Gaf thread saying HunterxHunter was super best in class great. I watched a few episodes and... It's okay? But like, excruciatingly exposition heavy and hand-holding? Did I pick a Good One?

That's most anime. It's why I find it hard to watch now, I used to love it in my early teens (things like Fist of the North Star, Legend of the Four Kings, Angel Cop, Devil Man, Wicked City and Battle Angel Alita). They really need to learn less is more. I'm sure there are better examples though that an anime fan can tell you, but I can't really think of any. I did enjoy Kill La Kill recently, due to how absurd it was, and One Punch Man has been good so far. I also made it through Attack on Titan, but that suffers from the same shit you mentioned, as does a few other highly recommended anime's I tried to watch and gave up on.

Jintor

I really hope Drew or Dan ends up playing through MGRR for the sheer frustration it will cause to the viewers

can't wait for drew's reaction the first time the lyrics kick in on a boss battle

That's most anime. It's why I find it hard to watch now, I used to love it in my early teens (things like Fist of the North Star, Legend of the Four Kings, Angel Cop, Devil Man, Wicked City and Battle Angel Alita). They really need to learn less is more. I'm sure there are better examples though that an anime fan can tell you, but I can't really think of any. I did enjoy Kill La Kill recently, due to how absurd it was, and One Punch Man has been good so far. I also made it through Attack on Titan, but that suffers from the same shit you mentioned, as does a few other highly recommended anime's I tried to watch and gave up on.

recently i've been enjoying more slice of life stuff, so probably not what you're after, in terms of recs.

AoT is rubbish with an amazing concept and occasionally decent execution

Space Dandy might be up your ally, though it doesn't have a plot so much as it's just a random set of futurama episodes as imagined by insane japanese animators

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yearly reminder that jeff green died 262 times before defeating queleeg
this can't be serious.

It's hilarious that I think this might be serious.

It's not serious, right?

(Jeff Green for president.)

lol, I read this as "during Queelag"

yearly reminder that jeff green died 262 times before defeating queleeg

At least Green didn't rely on summons for bosses and chat for everything else like baby Wyckert.

Also are rolls way better in DS2 than they were in one? I just beat the Smelter Demon on my first attempt whilst dual wielding spears and have been finding most of the game pretty easy shieldless.

justjim89

Solved the mystery bro.

I've played it more traditionally plenty of times. I've started and stopped the first Dark Souls about seven or eight times. I've actually gotten further this time than I usually do before falling off. Gave up on Sif but I'm about through Sen's Fortress.

can't wait for drew's reaction the first time the lyrics kick in on a boss battle

recently i've been enjoying more slice of life stuff, so probably not what you're after, in terms of recs.

AoT is rubbish with an amazing concept and occasionally decent execution

Space Dandy might be up your ally, though it doesn't have a plot so much as it's just a random set of futurama episodes as imagined by insane japanese animators

I agree with this, but I enjoyed it's highs and that kept me watching, like a drug addict waiting for the next good moment but I ended up pretty let down and exhausted from useless exposition by the end of it.

hamchan

Even something fabulous like JoJo has so much talking in an ep and takes minutes in between each move in a fight to explain what happened.

Jeff cracking up at the idea Alex did a hands on preview at E3 is the best bit.

ocukDSb.png

Haunted

If you want to know Jeff Green's videogame prowess, watch him play REmake.

You guys sure are very concerned with how Patrick conducts himself on the internet
The love is real. No other former GB/Whiskey guy gets even half the attention.

Noaloha

i'm trying to hate you to death right now

Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell.

I really did like Motocar and Batty. Great characters.

Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty.

Noaloha

I tried Kill La Kill also (it being on Netflix) and, yeah, again with the heeeeavy exposition and general "are you getting this? huh? this is what's happening right now" type storytelling. I prefered what I watched of HunterxHinter to KLK, but that's largely due to KLK kinda grossingme out a little with its excessive tits-fetish that I didn't feel it had earned early on (though, given the stpry, maybe it would).

Anyway, I also watched the Berserk movie, because O crap I've heard a lot of people go on about how good the Berserk mangas are. The moie I watched (which I assume is a super-truncated version of events was.... okay, it was a pretty good movie! With obvious weird pacing issues. But decent overall. Weird, slow ending. One, single, very powerful and upsetting moment.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You guys keep picking shounen shows though, which are more exposition heavy and less subtle just due to the audience (young boys).

Bowlie

Banned
I tried Kill La Kill also (it being on Netflix) and, yeah, again with the heeeeavy exposition and general "are you getting this? huh? this is what's happening right now" type storytelling. I prefered what I watched of HunterxHinter to KLK, but that's largely due to KLK kinda grossingme out a little with its excessive tits-fetish that I didn't feel it had earned early on (though, given the stpry, maybe it would).

HxH is a slow burn. I had similar thoughts (and I watched all episodes for the first time last year), but after some episodes I started to care a lot about the characters and their development. Especially during the third arc.

Anyway, I also watched the Berserk movie, because O crap I've heard a lot of people go on about how good the Berserk mangas are. The moie I watched (which I assume is a super-truncated version of events was.... okay, it was a pretty good movie! With obvious weird pacing issues. But decent overall. Weird, slow ending. One, single, very powerful and upsetting moment.

The berserk manga is super overrated. Can't speak to the anime.

Also KLK was designed to be just a giant middle finger to a lot of traditional stuff and the point was to go over the top like that. Just curious, did you do dubs or subs? As much as the english VAs did a great job, subs are the way to go for a lot of these.

Noaloha

HxH is a slow burn. I had similar thoughts (and I watched all episodes for the first time last year), but after some episodes I started to care a lot about the characters and their development. Especially during the third arc.

Yeah, I'm actually legit surprised with how I came to regard the HxH characters. My first impression was yuck, don't like the art style, these are suuuuper tropey (they are?).

But I'm ten episodes in and shit. I really like these duders. Especially, oddly, Gon. Little perfect shit that he is. He's adorable.

Also KLK was designed to be just a giant middle finger to a lot of traditional stuff and the point was to go over the top like that. Just curious, did you do dubs or subs? As much as the english VAs did a great job, subs are the way to go for a lot of these.

JP voices. I watched my teen (20-yrs ago) anime/Manga-movies dubbed and now I have a bit of a stickler thing to carry that on. That said, the Netflix version of HxX only has JP dub I think? So it ain't like I have a choice.

If you don't mind going into details, what do you mean by KLK being a bird-flip?

FluxWaveZ

KlK is an obvious victim of what it tries to parody.

But I'm ten episodes in and shit. I really like these duders. Especially, oddly, Gon. Little perfect shit that he is. He's adorable.

You've seen extremely little of what HxH has to offer. What I liked a lot about that show is that it isn't very tropey and subverts a lot of what one would expect. The protagonist, for example, is presented as being actually pretty flawed for the reasons you find him to be perfect later on.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A giant middle finger that ends up using those traditional tropes in the most eye-rollingly straight way possible?

Don't listen to the internet people. Kill la kill is not good. It's OK if you're bored, but not actually good.

Bowlie

Banned
Yeah, I'm actually legit surprised with how I came to regard the HxH characters. My first impression was yuck, don't like the art style, these are suuuuper tropey (they are?).

Only in the beginning, as that's how most shonen start. Later in the third and fifth arc you'll see new characters that are trope-y, but they're not important to the plot. Gon, Killua, even Leorio that seems ludicrous at the beginning, get all fleshed out.

Wait until you see his attacks, haha

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm afraid we've lost the patient. It was looking rough for a long time there, but there's just no hope any more. I'm sure he's in a better place now. Patrick just uploaded a trailer reaction video to Youtube.

and he's being really fair about it
Darius Gabalis 9 hours ago
I'm gonna have to be that guy and say it - reaction videos are the shittiest content on YouTube and I'm not sure what's the point of them. Obviously, your channel, do what you want, I just hope these things aren't gonna become a thing here.
Patrick Klepek 9 hours ago (edited)
+Darius Gabalis I'm sorry that your YouTube application forces you to watch every video. That sounds unpleasant. More seriously, my wife and I are going to have fun with this channel in the way that we want—period. Thanks for stopping by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykzAyISnNk

Noaloha

The thing with HxH is that I can absolutely see myself just carrying on watching it as a lazy, cool, ongoing little saga. It's somewhat infantile, but also mesmerising in its charm. I have to assume that's inherent. I definitely think I'll carry on watching, even if only to fill 20-minute gaps in my day. That in itself is, I guess, a thumbs up.

EDIT: and okay, so the guidance is that HxH establishes its early baiscs and then fucks with them to mix things up and surprise the viewer. Good, good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom