• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

The thing with HxH is that I can absolutely see myself just carrying on watching it as a lazy, cool, ongoing little saga. It's somewhat infantile, but also mesmerising in its charm. I have to assume that's inherent. I definitely think I'll carry on watching, even if only to fill 20-minute gaps in my day. That in itself is, I guess, a thumbs up.

Well, again... I think this show would surprise you. A lot.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Even something fabulous like JoJo has so much talking in an ep and takes minutes in between each move in a fight to explain what happened.

That's exactly what I ran into that made me go "no thanks". It's so weird to me that that extremely heavy-handed exposition is prevalent in not just most anime, but a lot of Japanese games too. Do Japanese not get subtext? Or like, visual language?

Jintor

Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell Ghosty Shell.

I really did like Motocar and Batty. Great characters.

Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty Motocar Batty.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bowlie

Banned
Well, again... I think this show would surprise you. A lot.

Hell yeah. But I don't wanna raise his expectations.

That's exactly what I ran into that made me go "no thanks". It's so weird to me that that extremely heavy-handed exposition is prevalent in not just most anime, but a lot of Japanese games too. Do Japanese not get subtext? Or like, visual language?

I think it's inherent from the manga, made in the 80s. At the time this level of exposition was normal. The anime actually lessens a bit.

FluxWaveZ

Try Death Parade.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You gotta remember that these shows are aimed at kids around 10-16.

So, no.

Haunted

Most anime TV shows are absolute garbage in terms of cinematography and pacing.

If you're interested in following the story and characters at a pace that's not intended for children, it's usually better to just read the manga.

yami4ct

The thing with HxH is that I can absolutely see myself just carrying on watching it as a lazy, cool, ongoing little saga. It's somewhat infantile, but also mesmerising in its charm. I have to assume that's inherent. I definitely think I'll carry on watching, even if only to fill 20-minute gaps in my day. That in itself is, I guess, a thumbs up.

EDIT: and okay, so the guidance is that HxH establishes its early baiscs and then fucks with them to mix things up and surprise the viewer. Good, good.

If those are the adjectives you use for HxH now, I cannot wait to see how you react to where it goes.

A giant middle finger that ends up using those traditional tropes in the most eye-rollingly straight way possible?

Don't listen to the internet people. Kill la kill is not good. It's OK if you're bored, but not actually good.

I would call KLK straight up bad. The only parts of that thing worthwhile are certain selections of the OST. Such a catastrophic mess. I had such hope going on. Well, prior to the battlesuit reveal I had hope anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's refreshing to see someone say cartoons are for children.

The thing is, there's a whole range there.

If you keep picking action shows meant for kids and designate anime as all of that of course you're going to think that anime are just for kids.

Or you can pick shows like nodame cantabile, a show about adults attending college trying to find their path in life while holding onto their dreams of being professional musicians, and also how love can complicate things.

Also Honey and clover, which is kinda the same thing but with art?

Or haibane renmei, a show about kids working their sins off in purgatory?

Hell, most of the shows/mangas I actually love are more aimed at a female demographic. I don't really like a lot of the action focused shows.

Jintor

klks okay. it's not very good but it's dumb fun and sometimes you just want dumb fun. it really loses what little plot it has about halfway through though. also the main character is less of a main character than the primarily antagonists which is a big problem

Noaloha

For specific reference to where I'm at with HxH, I'm 2:1 up against the prisoners in the tower of , uh, tricks? The tall fella Leorio (I think) is about to start his round after resolving the previous stalemate round.

edit: I do want to say that so far HxH does a wonderful job of just fucking around with playful messed up what the fuck character design. I hope this continues.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry. Just so you know, the GITS movie (I like number 2 also) is greatly revered by me and I hold its title scene and mid-film interstitial scene (just music and animation) in the highest of regard.

Bowlie

Banned
Hell, most of the shows/mangas I actually love are more aimed at a female demographic.

have you seen Sakamichi no Apollon, whippy?

For specific reference to where I'm at with HxH, I'm 2:1 up against the prisoners in the tower of , uh, tricks? The tall fella Leorio (I think) is about to start his round after resolving the previous stalemate round.

haha, that set of battles is great. Now that you reminded me, I feel like punching their trickster teammate again

Jintor

i really like ghost in the shell stand alone complex because it's the best anime police procedural out there with the possible exception of patlabor. for some reason japan prefers live action police procedurals and i don't like that very much

it is however up its own ass with monologuing occasionally but them's the breaks

The anime you should try that doesnt hold your hand is Yu Yu Hakusho. Best anime right there.

damn straight

tumblr_inline_nvzjonGL0m1rbpimx_500.jpg

there's one where I think the english dub is far and beyond the way to watch that, the other being g gundam.

yami4ct

The thing is, there's a whole range there.

If you keep picking action shows meant for kids and designate anime as all of that of course you're going to think that anime are just for kids.

Or you can pick shows like nodame cantabile, a show about adults attending college trying to find their path in life while holding onto their dreams of being professional musicians, and also how love can complicate things.

Also Honey and clover, which is kinda the same thing but with art?

Or haibane renmei, a show about kids working their sins off in purgatory?

Hell, most of the shows/mangas I actually love are more aimed at a female demographic. I don't really like a lot of the action focused shows.

The problem is that shonen stuff is all up front and most of it is awful. For every GinTama or HxH, you have 10 Fairy Tales.

There's been some good shit aimed at the shonen audience this season. I'm kind of shocked how dark Gundam Iron-blooded Orphans is going. I also thought Noragami Aragoto had some really interesting shit it did with its main cast. Hell, a major storyline in that season is basically a big allegory for abusive relationships.

Obviously if you're looking for more adult storytelling, you need to look more at the shows aimed at adults. There are fewer of them out there, but they aren't that hard to find.

FluxWaveZ

there are like 30 shorts made by different artists; check the first one, The Dragon Dentist, when you have the time (~8 minutes).

Ohh, you just mean the Animator Expo shorts in general? Yeah, I've definitely watched a few of them (including The Dragon Dentist). They're great experimental shorts. Nishiogikubo (nsfw) and Yamadeloid were really fun.

Also: I watched Kids on the Slope. Enjoyed it, until the love triangle bullcrap entered the scene.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait... Back in the days on 360 when we were using MS Points... Wasn't it 80 points per dollars?

I bought Rock Band 3 today and looking at the Iron Maiden Pack 01... It's 800 points but shows up as 19.99$ when I go to purchase? wtf...

I'm gessing there's a bit of exchange rate in there but not double the price...

Edit: The second Maiden pack which is also 800 points shows up as 9.99$.... wtf

Wait... Back in the days on 360 when we were using MS Points... Wasn't it 80 points per dollars?

I bought Rock Band 3 today and looking at the Iron Maiden Pack 01... It's 800 points but shows up as 19.99$ when I go to purchase? wtf...

I'm gessing there's a bit of exchange rate in there but not double the price...

Edit: The second Maiden pack which is also 800 points shows up as 9.99$.... wtf

The 800 point thing is the fuck-up, there. The Iron Maiden pack was always 20 bucks.

Well that's dumb...

I'm guessing that it was on sale or something at some point and they never readjusted the displayed price or some other stupid shit.

Also, you should totally get online with EA support and tell them you lost your Rock Band 2 manual so you can get a code to buy the Rock Band 2 song export thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom