• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

The rise of Polygon's shit at least correlates to Kotaku occasionally doing some cool shit, so I guess quality content is still around as long as you're able to wade through the garbage.

danm999

A CV for what though really. Not like games journalism is growing.

Securing an audience that you can splinter off when you leave for your own YouTube channel seems more valuable nowadays.

Not meant to be a weird burn on Patrick BTW. Just how it is nowadays.

People are still trying to break in.

The rise of Polygon's shit at least correlates to Kotaku occasionally doing some cool shit, so I guess quality content is still around as long as you're able to wade through the garbage.

Kotaku atleast you can differentiate the good stuff and bad stuff. Like, you know which writers to avoid. For Polygon, it all kinda blends in together.

TraBuch

Banned
I wis there was a way to filter Polygon videos so I could just see McElroy videos. Quick, someone make a qlcrew type site for Polygon.

yami4ct

Kotaku atleast you can differentiate the good stuff and bad stuff. Like, you know which writers to avoid. For Polygon, it all kinda blends in together.

Totally agree there. My strategy is basically this. Read all reviews from the writers I trust (and struggle through Polygon's garbage and over complicated reviews layout). Read shit other people on the internet say is cool. Finally, visit shit the writers I like seem to be pushing really hard. They tend to push the stuff they know is good.

Not a perfect solution, but it allows me to avoid 90% of garbage polygon.

Noaloha

I wis there was a way to filter Polygon videos so I could just see McElroy videos. Quick, someone make a qlcrew type site for Polygon.

Justin kinda already did it-ish.

It ain't exactly 100% but whatuexpek?

I've pushed these vids before, but I think you're good with any Monster Factory, and for Gameplays (I like them all, fanboy that I am) but Tabletop Simulator (watch until the end), Titan Souls, Catlateral Damage (know that this is a punishment for a previous grievance).

justjim89

Justin kinda already did it-ish.

It ain't exactly 100% but whatuexpek?

I've pushed these vids before, but I think you're good with any Monster Factory, and for Gameplays (I like them all, fanboy that I am) but Tabletop Simulator (watch until the end), Titan Souls, Catlateral Damage (know that this is a punishment for a previous grievance).

Thank you for this, sir. You've done your country a service.

tumblr_o0pzvkScBq1u5eu8ao1_250.gif

Noaloha

^ You know what, Justin is shit at maintaining a youtube playlist. Fuck that guy.

You can also just search "justin griffin" from Polygon's Youtube home page. Better!

Megasoum

Banned
It's time for Megasoum's Saturday night's pro-tip (tm)...

Try to do your bed (as in, put on the sheets after washing them) while drunk... It's really fucking funny lol. It took me like 15min to do the bed.

Chuck

Still without luck
It's time for Megasoum's Saturday night's pro-tip (tm)...

Try to do your bed (as in, put on the sheets after washing them) while drunk... It's really fucking funny lol. It took me like 15min to do the bed.
If I'm drunk and my beds not made I'm pretty certain I'm just going to make a chuck taco with the comforter.

I have returned from a weeklong journey to the Land of Video Games known as San Francisco -- anything unusual I missed from this past week that isn't on the main GB site?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea how to browse Kotaku. The non-games to game related content ratio is crazy skewed. There's usually one interesting article per page, and something by (say) Schrier is usually given equal weighting (or less) to "here's a GIF". It's a weird site. Is there a "filter crap" option I'm just not seeing?

Kotaku use to be my go to site for general "a quick check just to see what the newest news is" but then they had that redesign a few years back that made the site nearly imposable to read on a computer and I have never been back.

Then I used Joystiq and well... that lasted a few years.

Now I just check GAF.

Or N4G which is good for a laugh just to see what the bottom of the rung is up to.

Anjin M

I have no idea how to browse Kotaku. The non-games to game related content ratio is crazy skewed. There's usually one interesting article per page, and something by (say) Schrier is usually given equal weighting (or less) to "here's a GIF". It's a weird site. Is there a "filter crap" option I'm just not seeing?

Kotaku became a lot more readable for me when I started reading the Kotatucore tag. It cuts out a lot of BS.

087b993b5193ab67393017aede887314.png

I challenge anyone to come in at a worse speed than this.

I'm staying up all fucking night because I have to run a bunch of updates and get my google drive sync'd, and it still hasn't rolled over to something usable.

I never realized how much I took cable connection speeds for granted.

yami4ct

Got to the main thrust of the Hearts of Stone DLC. This is really damn cool.

I challenge anyone to come in at a worse speed than this.

I'm staying up all fucking night because I have to run a bunch of updates and get my google drive sync'd, and it still hasn't rolled over to something usable.

I never realized how much I took cable connection speeds for granted.

That ping. Ooof. I know that feeling from my satellite days. My connection is now .8-1.5 mbps with a decent ping. It's not good by any means, but it's leagues better than what I used to have. My heart always goes out to those stuck with that crap.

Dineren

Banned
Got to the main thrust of the Hearts of Stone DLC. This is really damn cool.

Do you think the DLC integrates well during a first playthrough? I'm playing through the main game now, but what I heard of it made it seem like a completely separate story. Made me wonder if I should just play through it after I finish the main story or if it's worth going through during it.

Teddified

Do you think the DLC integrates well during a first playthrough? I'm playing through the main game now, but what I heard of it made it seem like a completely separate story. Made me wonder if I should just play through it after I finish the main story or if it's worth going through during it.

It's completely separate and it's level 30+ content, I would just finish the game first before the DLC so you can just focus on the DLC's story separately.

It is just another story in the world so it would integrate just fine.

yami4ct

You could integrate it just fine in a first play through. It's just a new side mission like any other. The only problem you might run into is levels. I wasn't leveled high enough to run Hearts of Stone until I was close enough to finishing the main story that I felt I might as well just finish. It's really easy to pick it up after the main game ends, if that's the way you want to go like I did.

Haunted

red X in the upper right works for me

Bowlie

Banned
I have Schreier's and Narcisse's kinja feed and just search through them for anything interesting.

We can't access the american version of Kotaku here, so it's not like I could check the site anyway.

It's a bummer, because their intentions seemed so noble when they launched. Stuff like Human Angle was legitimately incredible. I guess that dream isn't sustainable anymore.

For the record, I still think polygon is okay sometimes. They still have occasionally amazing features. I like a lot of the people, especially the McElroys and Nick Robinson. Arthur Gies is a good writer who can come off as a douche sometimes. Kutchera is meh. Owen Good is garbage tier.

Hell is wrong with you? I at least agree Ornstein and Smough aren't good. Broken boss fight that forces you to get them stuck behind pillars to beat them which looks stupid as hell.

They were more so designed to take them on 2v2 by summoning Solaire right outside their door. But yeah, when you're alone unless your dodges are super on point, the first phase is just a frustrating process of constantly baiting them out separately and taking a swing

The second phase (both of them) are really fun for 1v1 though.

Phediuk

Question for you guys: have you ever played a game because of GB hype and not liked it at all?

I remember playing Divekick because of Jeff fawning over it, and my reaction to it was pretty much, "wut?" Everything about it felt amateurish. It was like a joke that was barely entertaining for 2 minutes. And then it somehow ended up on their top 10 list for the year lol.

That's the best example I can think of, but I was also pretty "meh" toward Mario Maker, though not to the degree of Divekick.

On the other hand, Jeff did get me to play Syndicate and Axiom Verge, which were terrific games.

You?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Question for you guys: have you ever played a game because of GB hype and not liked it at all?

I remember playing Divekick because of Jeff fawning over it, and my reaction to it was pretty much, "wut?" Everything about it felt amateurish. It was like a joke that was barely entertaining for 2 minutes. And then it somehow ended up on their top 10 list for the year lol.

That's the best example I can think of, but I was also pretty "meh" toward Mario Maker, though not to the degree of Divekick.

On the other hand, Jeff did get me to play Syndicate and Axiom Verge, which were terrific games.

You?

I enjoyed playing LA Noire but I was expecting something completely earth-shattering from how excited brad was about it at the time.

You?

Not liked at all is some strong words. Even the worst game I've played this year had one or two things I liked about it.

I usually don't impulse buy stuff based off only GB hype so I can't say anything they've ever pushed has disappointed me or I hated.

The GB 2014 GOTY

Yeah for sure. Everyone kept praising combat but I found it tedious and it just spawned enemies on you in their dozens.

Without that enjoyment the game is nothing apart from a decent gimmick in the Nemesis system which I thought was overrated too.

2014 was pretty lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom