• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard wrestling is pretty alright.

Wrestling exists to inspire anime. Nothing more.

TAuBD8L.gif

yami4ct

I can officially add may name to the list of those who have finished The Witcher 3. Ending conflict felt a bit contrived and out of nowhere, but the way the game ended for the characters themselves I dug. Now that Geralt's tale is done, I'd love to see a Witcher game staring Ciri. She really endeared me by the end. Would be an interesting different take from Geralt as well.

Diving right into Hearts of Stone now. Kind of feels weird to go on a side adventure after wrapping up everything in a big way, but I'm still excited to spend more time in that world.

Noaloha

Seriously wtf is going on in here. The last couple pages might as well be in a foreign language.

I apologise for anime natter, I too am not a huge fan of the super deep dive anime talk, I just mousewheel past it, but I kinda hoped my own input might be interesting coming from a place of zero-knowledge.

I am, full disclosure, a poor contributor to this this thread I think, posting occasional one-off GB-related observations with no intention to engage thereafter, and mostly posting varied McElroy-brother related links in a tired bid to increase their appeal across what I hope is a shared audience.

That said, let me try to steer the thread back into the copse -- Brad is great but he sucks in the ads.

I can officially add may name to the list of those who have finished The Witcher 3. Ending conflict felt a bit contrived and out of nowhere, but the way the game ended for the characters themselves I dug. Now that Geralt's tale is done, I'd love to see a Witcher game staring Ciri. She really endeared me by the end. Would be an interesting different take from Geralt as well.

Diving right into Hearts of Stone now. Kind of feels weird to go on a side adventure after wrapping up everything in a big way, but I'm still excited to spend more time in that world.

I would be into a game set in that universe that didn't force me to play as Geralt. I just can't stand him. I don't know what it is about him, but he just irritates the hell out of me.

danm999

They can pretty easily franchise it all out now that Geralt's tale is done, but we likely wouldn't see a new game for 5 or so years given Cyberpunk is next up on CDPR's schedule.

Jintor

I apologise for anime natter, I too am not a huge fan of the super deep dive anime talk, I just mousewheel past it, but I kinda hoped my own input might be interesting coming from a place of zero-knowledge.

I am, full disclosure, a poor contributor to this this thread I think, posting occasional one-off GB-related observations with no intention to engage thereafter, and mostly posting varied McElroy-brother related links in a tired bid to increase their appeal across what I hope is a shared audience.

That said, let me try to steer the thread back into the copse -- Brad is great but he sucks in the ads.

we will never again reach the heights of hey small business man.

yami4ct

So good!!!!

I pretty much blind bought the whole expansion pass because Hearts of Stone had such a positive response. Know nothing about it except Shani is in it. Not going to lie, a big reason I was so quick to buy it is because Shani was one of the characters I found super interesting in the witcher 1 and I'm interested to see where they take her.

Brashnir

you're fine, man. It was mostly a one-off comment as the anime chat has become especially strong in recent days.

I don't even hate anime - though I don't have any special reverence for it either. This is a community thread and to some extent the community is going to discuss whatever it's going to discuss.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Eh, it's a community thread where the main topic of discussion is having downtime just due to the scheduling. Of course minds are going to wander.

If only giantbomb can learn from young youtuber Patrick Klepek and give us a constant drip of content to keep us engaged in the brand.

I'm going to try and give Witcher the time of day. I think when I first got it, I was wrapped up in the hype of the release and found it to be very clunky and unenjoyable. I don't think I even started the griffin fight. A lot of what Vinny said on the last Beastcast resonated with me.

Or maybe I'll pick up hearthstone.

yami4ct

They can pretty easily franchise it all out now that Geralt's tale is done, but we likely wouldn't see a new game for 5 or so years given Cyberpunk is next up on CDPR's schedule.

I'm fine with a giant Witcher story every 4-5 years. I would love for them to pick a new protagonist and give them their own large saga in the same world. I think Ciri would be the most interesting place to go with what they have so far, but I could easily see them creating a whole new cast and running with it and that'd also be cool.

Antiwhippy

I'm going to try and give Witcher the time of day. I think when I first got it, I was wrapped up in the hype of the release and found it to be very clunky and unenjoyable. I don't think I even started the griffin fight. A lot of what Vinny said on the last Beastcast resonated with me.

Can your internet handle hearthstone?

danm999

I'm fine with a giant Witcher story every 4-5 years. I would love for them to pick a new protagonist and give them their own large saga in the same world. I think Ciri would be the most interesting place to go with what they have so far, but I could easily see them creating a whole new cast and running with it and that'd also be cool.

I think a Ciri game could be very interesting because
she has the power to jump between parallel dimensions and that part of the Witcher 3 was great.

justjim89

I'd love to see a game about one of the other Witcher schools, like the Viper or the Cat.

Or a game where you play as Zoltan.

Bacon

(Brad is perfectly fine in the ads. No way I can go to bed leaving that shitty comment out there.)

He just doesn't have the improv chops and ridiculous chemistry that vinny and Jeff had. He's serviceable and to be honest we were spoiled by having hilarious ads for so long because the vast majority of podcast ads are boring as all hell.

Noaloha

Hearthstone is fun. Like, actually properly fun. It's a good puzzle and a fine little 'daily quest' sort of game even (if that's your thing).

It's also a horseshit motherfucking batshit insane cunty cunting cunt of a cunt, twat-stabbing knuckle-fuck of a devilseed.

Brashnir

Just pulled the trigger on a Framemeister after watching AGDQ all week. I've been considering picking up an old CRT to play my old games, but space requirements make that pretty tricky. What should I play when it arrives?

Hearthstone is fun. Like, actually properly fun. It's a good puzzle and a fine little 'daily quest' sort of game even (if that's your thing).

It's also a horseshit motherfucking batshit insane cunty cunting cunt of a cunt, twat-stabbing knuckle-fuck of a devilseed.

I played Hearthstone for a few days. It seemed like RNG - The Game to me. I'm sure you can build a better deck, but you're really beholden to the luck of your original draw far too much for my liking.

CCG in general are prone to a lot of shitty stuff. I tend to prefer deck-builders like Dominion or Ascension as a general rule.

to be honest we were spoiled by having hilarious ads for so long because the vast majority of podcast ads are boring as all hell.

total truth but I don't feel bad about thinking people can and should do better

at least GB isn't even a fraction as bad as the McElroy's ad sections

Noaloha

total truth but I don't feel bad about thinking people can and should do better

at least GB isn't even a fraction as bad as the McElroy's ad sections

Maaaan, the McElroys Ad sections have so many good moments. Maybe like.... ten every year!!!

Okay so that sounds bad, but no! They're really good!

Like Teen Google was a thing in the Money Zone (their ad section). That was pretty fuckin funny.

I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Syndicate this week. It's a lot of fun.

They have basically overpowered you where its like you just go around fucking guys up and never die.

It's so brainless but to its benefit in the same way as Far Cry 4.

It's gorgeous as well.

Noaloha

Never. Skip. The. Money. Zone.

There's gold in them thar hills.

Edit: also, i kinda wish there was a smirk fontstyle because i worry a previous post or two of mine may have come across as a little too sincere.

Bacon

Only good podcast ads I ever hear are Bombcast/Beastcasts and Comedy Bang Bang.

I don't know if you've ever listened to Hollywood handbook but their ads are literally on a whole nother level from any other podcast ads I've ever heard. So ridiculously funny

danm999

I don't know if you've ever listened to Hollywood handbook but their ads are literally on a whole nother level from any other podcast ads I've ever heard. So ridiculously funny

Oh shit yeah Hollywood handbook too.

Should have remembered that because a ton of CBB ads are just Scott, Hayes and Sean.

I can't imagine it really requires all that much bandwidth for card plays.

Screw hearthstone and play a real card game - Netrunner. Austin mentioning it over the course of multiple podcasts pushed me over the edge to pick it up. It's a pretty cool thing, of course it's a physical card game, but there's an unofficial browser client! If you're actually in the market for a virtual card game check out Duelyst, it's hearthstone x a tactics game.

yami4ct

Its amazing that the McElroys work under the same umbrella as the likes of Arthur Gies and Ben Kuchera.

Polygon actually has a significant number of talented people. It's so sad they're stuck under the awful structure Polygon has foisted on them. I guess it's cool we occasionally get good shit out of them.

danm999

You take jobs where you can get them I guess.

Polygon might be a joke to a lot of people in the gaming audience but I imagine it pays the bills and gives you stuff you can put on your CV.

Antiwhippy

A CV for what though really. Not like games journalism is growing.

Securing an audience that you can splinter off when you leave for your own YouTube channel seems more valuable nowadays.

Not meant to be a weird burn on Patrick BTW. Just how it is nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom