• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Question for you guys: have you ever played a game because of GB hype and not liked it at all?

I remember playing Divekick because of Jeff fawning over it, and my reaction to it was pretty much, "wut?" Everything about it felt amateurish. It was like a joke that was barely entertaining for 2 minutes. And then it somehow ended up on their top 10 list for the year lol.

That's the best example I can think of, but I was also pretty "meh" toward Mario Maker, though not to the degree of Divekick.

On the other hand, Jeff did get me to play Syndicate and Axiom Verge, which were terrific games.

You?

can't remember ever playing a game 'because of gb', honestly

Question for you guys: have you ever played a game because of GB hype and not liked it at all?

I remember playing Divekick because of Jeff fawning over it, and my reaction to it was pretty much, "wut?" Everything about it felt amateurish. It was like a joke that was barely entertaining for 2 minutes. And then it somehow ended up on their top 10 list for the year lol.

That's the best example I can think of, but I was also pretty "meh" toward Mario Maker, though not to the degree of Divekick.

On the other hand, Jeff did get me to play Syndicate and Axiom Verge, which were terrific games.

You?

I don't play a game just because someone at GB likes it (I know none of them have the same taste as me). But they bring games to my attention and then I'll look at the game and see if it seems worth playing.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

You?

Saints Row 3 is pretty much the definition of mediocrity to me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I probably wouldn't have played Saints Row 3 without them, but I think that's an exception.
The game was ok.

edit: Oh, maybe Sleeping Dogs, too! That game is great.

jaina

would not have touched without GB:
- Metal Gear Solid V : it's alright
- Super Mario Bros. 3 : as companion during Maker streams. won't recommend nowadays
- Axiom Verge : awesome
- Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments : not played yet

but hard to say, Axiom and Sherlock cater a lot to my interests and I might have noticed them another way.

Zaph

Without bomb I wouldn't have touched Trackmania².

Yup. Crazy how much it's become a regular install-and-play game for me. Join a random server and see some bokers levels.

and huh, it's just occurred to me that Trackmania is basically the same concept as 100 Mario Challenge. Jeff know what he likes.

demidar

I don't play a game just because someone at GB likes it (I know none of them have the same taste as me). But they bring games to my attention and then I'll look at the game and see if it seems worth playing.

Same, it's usually for exposure. Shilling generally doesn't work on me; I know which games I would like.

I never would have played Spelunky were it not for Patrick and now I've sunk over 100 hours into it and it's a top 10 game of all-time for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I played through Book of Unwritten Tales 1 and 2. It was great to play a legitimately tough inventory-based adventure game again, and they're both no-brainer purchases if you're into that sort of thing, but Vinny calling BOUT2 one of the best in the genre is crazy talk. The writing just isn't there. The scenario-design is probably a bit better in the first, too.

087b993b5193ab67393017aede887314.png

I challenge anyone to come in at a worse speed than this.
How's life on the International Space Station?

repeater

I played Hearthstone for a few days. It seemed like RNG - The Game to me. I'm sure you can build a better deck, but you're really beholden to the luck of your original draw far too much for my liking.

CCG in general are prone to a lot of shitty stuff. I tend to prefer deck-builders like Dominion or Ascension as a general rule.
Let me tell you about a little game called Vampire: The Eternal Struggle
You can put AS MANY COPIES AS YOU LIKE of any card into your deck!

It's a CCG of skill

danm999

Let me tell you about a little game called Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

Austin hasn't played it and I find that fucking bonkers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't either. :( Is it still playable today?

Jintor

he hasn't? oh man it's right up his alley

.edit yeah i think between patrick and chris remo they were what got me into spelunky. i've played a loooooot of spelunky. i'm still not very good at it though.

danm999

I haven't either. :( Is it still playable today?

Well it's been patched repeatedly for the past 10 years, but there are still some segments that are rough.

The writing, dialogue, worldbuilding, RPG elements are all fucking top notch though.

Haunted

Vampire is perfect for Austin, I can't believe he hasn't played it yet, seems exactly his kind of thing to champion.

Guarantee it's more worthwhile than putting thirty hours into DA Inquisition at least.

danm999

Vampire is perfect for Austin, I can't believe he hasn't played it yet, seems exactly his kind of thing to champion.

Guarantee it's more worthwhile than putting thirty hours into DA Inquisition at least.

Oh totally, Inquisition is absolutely forgettable (though Austin did pique my interest with that DLC talk).

Whereas I still remember Vampire vividly even though I probably replayed it like five years ago.
Don't open it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally started Hearts of Stone. There's something too this Witcher game, you guys.

ArjanN

can't remember ever playing a game 'because of gb', honestly

Even though I think I probably keep up with gaming news/announcements better than most of the GB guys individually, I'm sure there's some games that might have gone under my radar if they hadn't covered them in a quicklook or UPF.

Strax

would not have touched without GB:
- Metal Gear Solid V : it's alright
- Super Mario Bros. 3 : as companion during Maker streams. won't recommend nowadays
- Axiom Verge : awesome
- Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments : not played yet

but hard to say, Axiom and Sherlock cater a lot to my interests and I might have noticed them another way.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is shockingly good.

Jothel

boy that first Hearts and Stone boss fight sure awoke my Witcherin', the muscle memory remained.

Something about the graphics look better too, the lighting on Geralt's face on the ship is faaaantastic

NIN90

-100 points for Steve Gaynor for not going for the obvious Far Cry 2 reference when talking about holding maps during the Squad segment.

Even though I think I probably keep up with gaming news/announcements better than most of the GB guys individually, I'm sure there's some games that might have gone under my radar if they hadn't covered them in a quicklook or UPF.

The QL the reason I imported Puyo Puyo Tetris early last year for both Vita AND PS4. The hype came from nowhere for a product I didn't even know I wanted.

-100 points for Steve Gaynor for not going for the obvious Far Cry 2 reference when talking about holding maps during the Squad segment.

I think he was more busy checking if grenades were rolling down hills....

popo

I can officially add may name to the list of those who have finished The Witcher 3. Ending conflict felt a bit contrived and out of nowhere, but the way the game ended for the characters themselves I dug. Now that Geralt's tale is done, I'd love to see a Witcher game staring Ciri. She really endeared me by the end. Would be an interesting different take from Geralt as well.

Diving right into Hearts of Stone now. Kind of feels weird to go on a side adventure after wrapping up everything in a big way, but I'm still excited to spend more time in that world.

I suspect they want a clean break from all the characters, same world but an all new creation. Also Ciri as protagonist seems unlikely as
only one of the three endings has her remain a witcher and one of then has her die.

hamchan

Drew's section on UPF was pretty good because the rest of the guys, probably thanks to Steve Gaynor, were actually paying attention and riffing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom