• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

They opened a Panda Express in the food court at my university when I was there and it was so popular youd have to wait like 15 minutes to order

also everyone just got orange chicken so they ended up having to make like 3 huge pans of orange chicken that were constantly being refilled

I'm not sure why they even bother with anything other than the Orange Chicken and maybe the sesame and General Tso's chicken (even though they are all basically the same thing)

People send money on the guys in all sorts of ways that could be construed as dumb, on some level they all want to connect with them on a more personal level.

The mailbags, Patrick's computer, the fridge, etc., are no different in motivation than Dan's shirts, he's just giving people the oportunity they want.

In other news, I bought Steamworld Heist and i'm planning to play it the whole week

I finished it over the ~10 hours of flying I did last week and it stays excellent through the end. Felt just long enough and the enemy variety was strong enough to keep you adapting throughout (with one exception in the last few levels that didn't mesh well with the 2D view). Really enjoyed that game.

daydream

Banned

---

In other news, I bought Steamworld Heist and i'm planning to play it the whole week

DearDizzyAmberpenshell.gif

ya did good, bub

If you're broke but hungry, go into a Panda Express and ask for samples of all your favorite dishes. Then promptly exit the building.
#LifeHack

Chaser324

Banned
Yeah I'm sure Dan is making a huge killing selling these few shirts.

Obviously he isn't making all that much, and I don't actually mind him making money in spite of feeling like it's a bit exploitative. If he's making money and people genuinely think he isn't though, that's a bit harder to dismiss. It's totally possible though that there's something making the prices higher than I'd expect them to be or that people have just incorrectly inferred that he's selling them at cost and he's never actually stated that.

EDIT: Yep. He never claimed it was at cost (see below). Not sure where people got that impression.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
He said he sets them at that price so he won't lose money.

Not true. The Armageddan shirt was costly to make because it had a bunch of colors. These shitty ones (the Wike/Comet/Subcwibe one and this Taco Bell one) are cheaper to make, and I absolutely do make money off of them.

Obviously he isn't making all that much, and I don't actually mind him making money in spite of feeling like it's a bit exploitative. If he's making money and people genuinely think he isn't though, that's a bit harder to dismiss.

You could ask for him to provide receipts to back up his claims, I'm sure if you explain the negative impression he might be giving others he'd do it to allay any fears.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
You could ask for him to provide receipts to back up his claims, I'm sure if you explain the negative impression he might be giving others he'd do it to allay any fears.

Oh, I'm upfront about everything like this. I'm entertained by the fact that hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people will watch mundane crap I do on Periscope, and I'm even more entertained at the idea of people buying silly t-shirts that my girlfriend and I make to commemorate these dumbass Periscopes. It's taking a dumb, silly thing and putting another layer of dumb on top of it. I think it's hilarious, and I don't feel bad about it. If people don't want to buy them, they certainly don't have to. I just think it's really fun, and yes, I do make money off of it.

Speaking of dumb, silly things, you should buy a hoverboard and replace that scooter your ride out on for your APW appearances.

Also, we need a pre-Rumble Power Bombcast to hear you guys (namely Alex, I assume) talk about the WWE plundering NJPW for talent.

Scizzy

I need someone who buys this shirt to write a post about it. Like, do they wear it in public anywhere besides the gym? If they do, do they get funny looks? What drives them? I must know.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Man, I love you austin, don't get me wrong, but seeing that you did say people should stop using "It's interesting" as a cop-out you also really need to diversify from "It's tough.".

I know it's bad form to respond here, but I think it's worth it this one time.

I absolutely didn't say that other people should stop using "it's interesting." I said "You know a phrase I'm trying hard to remove from my own vocabulary? 'It's interesting.'" And then I explained in the next episode (and on Twitter) that my goal was to get better at being specific with what I was saying. I also specifically said that I was frustrated in seeing fans of mine using that bit of the podcast as an excuse to police the speech and writing of others.

So while I have no problem in people not liking some of my conversational crutches, I do think it's a mischaracterization to say that I said or thought that other people should stop using theirs. No one is more aware of my own vocal tics than me, so when I see others using theirs, believe me, I get it: It's tough!

In any case, we fight our linguistic battles at the rate we can. Right now I'm working on "interesting." Everything else can get in line.

So playstation plus, that looks like something I'd have to buy if I wanted to use online storage with my PS4. But since I'm not really going to game online at all, is that free game a month actually worth it? Like, how often are those things duds?

I know I can do backup of my saves to the USB stick, but I like redundancy. I can't do chalice dungeon glyphs in Bloodborne without Plus either.

Dude, we love having you guys in the thread too.

TraBuch

Banned
Speaking of dumb, silly things, you should buy a hoverboard and replace that scooter your ride out on for your APW appearances.

Also, we need a pre-Rumble Power Bombcast to hear you guys (namely Alex, I assume) talk about the WWE plundering NJPW for talent.
I think that the Bullet Club is gonna come and take over the WWE and then Vince McMahon will join and they're gonna have a Bullet Club PPV called something like "Souled Out" and all the Bullet Club members are gonna compete and cheat and win and spray paint everybody and ride on garbage trucks and then about a thousand people will want to join but then there will be a split and the other Bullet Club will wear a lot of red and come out to a rap theme song and call themselves the "Wolfpac" or something and they'll fight each other but then they'll join again and then split again for some reason and then there will be another Bullet Club created by that brother from The Wonder Years and another Bullet Club where they wear a lot of blue and there will be a point where Karl Anderson is champion but AJ Styles comes back and pretends to hate him and they fight and AJ Styles will poke Karl Anderson and Karl Anderson will throw the fight and AJ Styles will become champion again and then everyone will suddenly be really bored by all the Bullet Club bullshit and then Lucha Underground will buy out the WWE.

yami4ct

Eliminating conversational and writing crutches is really hard.

Personally, I far too often conjoin ideas using 'though'. I try to eliminate it wherever I can, but it ends up creeping back in anyway. I can't imagine trying to edit my nonsense for a professional capacity.

I like the personalities of Giant Bomb, with Austin elaborating on his well thought way of articulating his thoughts, and just a few posts above him is Dan talking about making money off Taco Bell periscopes!

justjim89

Dan, don't let anyone tell you that you're playing Dark Souls wrong. That fight against the gargoyles was hilarious.

Austin, you should absolutely get some kind of cross coast premium series going with Dan. You two would probably have an awesome dichotomy together.

Eliminating conversational and writing crutches is really hard.

Personally, I far too often conjoin ideas using 'though'. I try to eliminate it wherever I can, but it ends up creeping back in anyway. I can't imagine trying to edit my nonsense for a professional capacity.

I do the same. I also need to stop starting posts with some useless one word lead in like "yeah," because I do it ALL THE TIME. I also tend to just start a second thought in the same post with a second line and "also,"

Interesting: it's the word that does everything! But honestly, I can never think of another word to use when I describe something as interesting; my lexicon goes from interesting to "cool" or some equally vague word and my ability to describe things breaks down from there. It's a nightmare.

I refuse to believe that the war against interesting can be won.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I absolutely didn't say that other people should stop using "it's interesting." I said "You know a phrase I'm trying hard to remove from my own vocabulary? 'It's interesting.'" And then I explained in the next episode (and on Twitter) that my goal was to get better at being specific with what I was saying. I also specifically said that I was frustrated in seeing fans of mine using that bit of the podcast as an excuse to police the speech and writing of others.

So while I have no problem in people not liking some of my conversational crutches, I do think it's a mischaracterization to say that I said or thought that other people should stop using theirs. No one is more aware of my own vocal tics than me, so when I see others using theirs, believe me, I get it: It's tough!

In any case, we fight our linguistic battles at the rate we can. Right now I'm working on "interesting." Everything else can get in line.

Haha, nah it's cool, it's always nice when people can come in and clarify what they said.

Also while the use of "it's tough" is driving me a little nutty I still find some entertainment counting the number of times it crops up. I find verbal tics interesting.

I think that the Bullet Club is gonna come and take over the WWE and then Vince McMahon will join and they're gonna have a Bullet Club PPV called something like "Souled Out" and all the Bullet Club members are gonna compete and cheat and win and spray paint everybody and ride on garbage trucks and then about a thousand people will want to join but then there will be a split and the other Bullet Club will wear a lot of red and come out to a rap theme song and call themselves the "Wolfpac" or something and they'll fight each other but then they'll join again and then split again for some reason and then there will be another Bullet Club created by that brother from The Wonder Years and another Bullet Club where they wear a lot of blue and there will be a point where Karl Anderson is champion but AJ Styles comes back and pretends to hate him and they fight and AJ Styles will poke Karl Anderson and Karl Anderson will throw the fight and AJ Styles will become champion again and then everyone will suddenly be really bored by all the Bullet Club bullshit and then Lucha Underground will buy out the WWE.

I want Shinsuke and AJ on the main roster right away because, well, they're Shinsuke and AJ and they're awesome. I want Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows to come in right away because I'm so goddamn tired of everyone in the tag division with the exception of the New Day. Don't care about the Usos, don't care about the Lucha Dragons, definitely don't care about the Dudley Boys. The Wyatt Family is fine, but they're always off doing their own thing and not really in the "tag team" picture.

yami4ct

I do the same. I also need to stop starting posts with some useless one word lead in like "yeah," because I do it ALL THE TIME. I also tend to just start a second thought in the same post with a second line and "also,"

I will write a medium length post and, upon rereading it, realize I've used the same sentence structure 3 times in 4 sentences. It's infuriating and 'though' is my number 1 offender.

Language is hard.

danm999

I've actually gone through days where I try and listen to myself as I speak and pick up whether I have any bad language habits and it's really tough. I think I use "weird" too liberally for instance to refer to instances that I don't actually find weird but disappointing or complicated or frustrating.

And I don't have the imperative/gift/curse of being listened to by thousands of people for hours every week.

I have a habit of starting my sentences with stuff like "I dunno, I guess I kinda ____ " which is a six word phrase that means "I have zero confidence in myself or the thing I am about to say."

To be fair, the Bombcast threads have gotten a little rough on Brad on some of the occasions he's ventured inside.

I still like you Brad (I also recently moved to a part of the country with a Bojangles, call me if you need an emergency Chicken & Biscuit hookup from an internet stranger!)

FluxWaveZ

I still like you Brad (I also recently moved to a part of the country with a Bojangles, call me if you need an emergency Chicken & Biscuit hookup from an internet stranger!)

I think it's been a while since there's been an Attack on Brad. "Pulling a Brad" doesn't even play anymore; those days were great.

danm999

The Bombcast threads can be tough in general because there's a lot of driveby "I hate person X" or "Person Y's opinion on Game Z sucks" and that doesn't really lead to any interesting conversation or challenging back and forth it just feels nasty and sort of disruptive, especially since the guys do read those threads.

yami4ct

I think it's been a while since there's been an Attack on Brad. "Pulling a Brad" doesn't even play anymore; those days were great.

The GotY thread is almost all a big Attack on Brad. Not that he didn't earn it in that case.

I still love you Brad and your GotY rants are always fun.

Oh, I'm upfront about everything like this. I'm entertained by the fact that hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people will watch mundane crap I do on Periscope, and I'm even more entertained at the idea of people buying silly t-shirts that my girlfriend and I make to commemorate these dumbass Periscopes. It's taking a dumb, silly thing and putting another layer of dumb on top of it. I think it's hilarious, and I don't feel bad about it. If people don't want to buy them, they certainly don't have to. I just think it's really fun, and yes, I do make money off of it.

But in all seriousness Dan.............have you seen Passenger 57?

FluxWaveZ

The GotY thread is almost all a big Attack on Brad. Not that he didn't earn it in that case.

I still love you Brad and your GotY rants are always fun.

Oh sure, I kinda dismissed that since it just comes with the territory, though, and he did have his own support there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom