• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There should be Sowjet Kerbals kinda doing the same thing you're doing right now.

Oh man, they should simulate you gathering and learning every technology you've created to reach the Mun. Only the end goal is to use those technologies to develop WMDs and start a decades long stalemate with the Sowjets.

Oh man, watching them discover how impossible a perpendicular orbital rendezvous is was pretty great to watch.

That said, I am pretty shocked at how physically close they were able to get the vehicles.

danm999

Yeah when I paused it the closest I saw was less than two kilometres.

But I can't fathom how even if they create a matching orbit they get the Kerbils to jump from one ship to another at those speeds. They'd get crushed like a bug if the ships didn't smash into each other.

I think Alex is right; leave them up there.

Patryn

At some point I need to finish The Dark Arisen content.

I did all the main quest stuff for Dragon's Dogma and loved it (although the story still makes very, very little sense to me), but I just stopped at that point.

Maybe after I finish KOTOR. And Shadowrun: Hong Kong. And Pillars of Eternity.

And Divinity: Original Sin.

And... oh god my backlog i am drowning

Yeah when I paused it the closest I saw was less than two kilometres.

But I can't fathom how even if they create a matching orbit they get the Kerbils to jump from one ship to another at those speeds. They'd get crushed like a bug if the ships didn't smash into each other.

You have to get a very close stable orbit, then do burns to slowly match the speed and orbit.

the rule is "leave no man behind" but that doesn't account for, say, if the pilot decided to jetpack himself to death in the planet's atmosphere

the real lesson to learn here is to maybe consider installing solar panels and an electric motor for emergencies
so they can crash failed flights into something if need be

Brashnir

So it is possible then.

Do you have the Kerbil jump themselves or is it something more elegant?

Of course it's possible. It may be beyond their ability, but it's possible - people do it all the time in the real world. Given that their original stranded ships have no docking components, the Kerbals will have to just jump.

yMvOsEE.gif

Antiwhippy

Man, don't starve is the prime example of why I don't buy early access anymore. I played so much in early access that I didn't want to touch it again once it's out.

daveo42

Banned
Watching the new Project B.E.A.S.T. and am looking forward to this ship failing miserably.

Edit: Oh god that second flight.

Jintor

Man, don't starve is the prime example of why I don't buy early access anymore. I played so much in early access that I didn't want to touch it again once it's out.

they add so much in between though. I mean I already had 45 hours played but it's been long enough and they've added enough there's new things to butt my head against (SERIOUSLY ENTIRE CAVE SEGMENTS? WETNESS? BUNNY FARMING NO LONGER WORKS?!?!?!) that it's fun again while I still know how to do fairly basic things like get a crockpot up and going

Antiwhippy

they add so much in between though. I mean I already had 45 hours played but it's been long enough and they've added enough there's new things to butt my head against (SERIOUSLY ENTIRE CAVE SEGMENTS? WETNESS? BUNNY FARMING NO LONGER WORKS?!?!?!) that it's fun again while I still know how to do fairly basic things like get a crockpot up and going

Oh I know, but I've run through the same segments so many times I don't feel up to running them again in the full game even though I knew that there are (and continues to be) a lot of changes.

Bah, only got 22gb of 32gb for Witcher last night. Oh well.

What's the holdup on the box foam thing? Is that a labor union problem where they can't get it done until it's all in or something weird? I really don't like that look and would like the personalized UPF space again.

Frith

Dan's said multiple times that he won't make money on these shirts.

If anyone's benefiting, its Teespring.

$643 profit if you put the numbers in to tee spring i know dans come in and said that he makes money so I'm not 100% talking about him but its really easy to find out exactly how much you can make on tee spring it takes about 30seconds. who knows if there are other costs but next time you see someone "not making a profit" you can check their working.

i do think its a bit gross but then i would

i just finished max payne 3 for the first time yesterday and decided to read ryan's review for the game. I tend to read reviews for things once im done to get a gauge on how accurate reviews can be and to feel out reviewer's opinions to see who thinks along the same lines as i do, so i know to seek out their reviews in the future.

fuck me, man, ryan could write the living shit out of a review. damn the universe for taking him.

hamchan

$643 profit if you put the numbers in to tee spring i know dans come in and said that he makes money so I'm not 100% talking about him but its really easy to find out exactly how much you can make on tee spring it takes about 30seconds. who knows if there are other costs but next time you see someone "not making a profit" you can check their working.

i do think its a bit gross but then i would

I don't think it's that gross. The man is allowed to make money on his own name. Giant Bomb doesn't own Dan Ryckert.

I don't think it's that gross. The man is allowed to make money on his own name. Giant Bomb doesn't own Dan Ryckert.

I dont think this is gross. let the man make his bling

i think what was a bit gross was when Dan stated that they were waiting on people to send them mario party carts and that that was holding up the mario party feature. I mean you could expense that, right? Why put that on your audience like that?

I know it's a small thing and i know some time has passed but that irked me quite a bit

Frith

yeah of course any one can do anything

getting whales to spend their money on useless cosmetics is a time honoured tradition of the video games business.

Patryn

I dont think this is gross. let the man make his bling

i think what was a bit gross was when Dan stated that they were waiting on people to send them mario party carts and that that was holding up the mario party feature. I mean you could expense that, right? Why put that on your audience like that?

I know it's a small thing and i know some time has passed but that irked me quite a bit

They really said that?

The T-shirt stuff I have absolutely no issues with, but that's a little unsavory.

Then again, I was also a little weirded out by the last mailbag with the brand new Amazon stuff. It's one thing to send them old stuff you have lying around, it's another to buy them brand new "presents".

But you guys probably already had that conversation and I missed it.

popo

I just watched the latest mailbag and noticed the rapmusicguide watermark on the wu-tang clock. I ran into it a lot while looking for cover art to update my own music library. How do you not at least photoshop that out or source a non-watermarked file before you print it and stick it to your weird product.

Someone paid $60 for that tat. Better value than 2 Dan T-shirts I guess.

"I was doing a bit of spring cleaning"

Why do people assume giant bomb wants their shit?

Guess it's better than that time they got actual garbage.

and this was pretty cute too

because they make videos of them unboxing it?

It is classic reward for behaviour. When asked directly if they want their old game junk, Jeff usually tells them to send it. It is only on here that we lement all the garbage the poor souls have to deal with. Better than sending junk food I would say.

Just watched the new mailbag and holy crap do they still have a lot to figure out. Those shelves will fix things I'm sure! And I feel kinda bad because although they have a nice new studio, they don't quite have the same private space that they once did. And that will make a difference. Hopefully they can make it their own in time, but it's clear that they they just get dumped into this awkward space and will have to make do with that. Just a harsh reminder that they're part of this CBSi corp now.

Not to derail the narrative you have created but ...

Anonymous asked: Overall, do you feel that the move to the 1st floor is a positive change in terms of office+studio space and layout?

Jeff: Yeah, it’ll take some doing, but once we get our podcast studio up and running and get our regular studio set up the way we want it it’ll be way better than what we had.

I'm glad they're doing Kerbal a bit in advance so they can hit their heads against a brick wall for a while before seeing any tips from viewers.
What's the holdup on the box foam thing? Is that a labor union problem where they can't get it done until it's all in or something weird? I really don't like that look and would like the personalized UPF space again.

They don't have nearly enough of the foam, I think someone said they have less than half of what they need. I love the dumb box setup (knowing it's only going to be temporary).

Patryn

I don't care that Dan makes and sells t-shirts.

I'm just confused and disappointed in the people who buy some of them.

Unless a person is supporting some organization that supports hate or whatnot, I can never judge how a person spends money.

Lord knows I buy enough stupid shit.

Myggen

They don't have nearly enough of the foam, I think someone said they have less than half of what they need. I love the dumb box setup (knowing it's only going to be temporary).

Jeff said that they only have a third or a fourth of what they need at the start of Friday's UPF.

Also yeah, it's pretty clear that Jeff much prefers a normal studio to what they had before which was some equipment in the middle of a hallway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom