• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frith

I don't care that Dan makes and sells t-shirts.

I'm just confused and disappointed in the people who buy some of them.

that might be where I'm at cos i didn't care before with the rykert design n64 design thats pretty good (even though i would never buy it)

i think maybe if they were better i wouldn't mind (but maybe its just the frequency)
its just that they are so awful it feels exploitative like once the spells worn off your left with that thing. the money is the joke maybe.

talking about it this much is over the top but i was interested in the number when people were saying it was nothing cos i knew that wasn't true (and i was behind on the thread so dan hadn't come in when i went to look at prices.)

Myggen

I feel like I've heard that bit about killing only one enemy for all the weapons. Did Jeff play the original Genesis game on UPF or something? I don't know why I say or something, it's an old game, and there's no other show for old games on Giant Bomb.

Jeff did a Bombastica of Target Earth.

i just finished max payne 3 for the first time yesterday and decided to read ryan's review for the game. I tend to read reviews for things once im done to get a gauge on how accurate reviews can be and to feel out reviewer's opinions to see who thinks along the same lines as i do, so i know to seek out their reviews in the future.

fuck me, man, ryan could write the living shit out of a review. damn the universe for taking him.

Such a great game and I'll never get the people who say it's not a Max Payne game because it TOTALLY is. The difference being is that this one is about Max
moving on and finding redemption which is a totally fitting end to the trilogy if they ever decided not to make another one.
We're lucky we even got something like this 9 years later from MP2.

Edit: Shit, forgot to copy and paste it into my previous post. Now I just look like an asshole who likes the sound of his own voice.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Such a great game and I'll never get the people who say it's not a Max Payne game because it TOTALLY is. The difference being is that this one is about Max
moving on and finding redemption which is a totally fitting end to the trilogy if they ever decided not to make another one.
We're lucky we even got something like this 9 years later from MP2.

Edit: Shit, forgot to copy and paste it into my previous post. Now I just look like an asshole who likes the sound of his own voice.

Nah, that was the end of Max Payne 2. That was Max moving on. "She was dead, but it was all right." Max Payne 3 was totally unnecessary and didn't do anything interesting for Max. Literally ends with him sipping beers on a beach somewhere. I hate it.

KingKong

honestly MP1 kind of sucks. MP2 is cool but hasn't aged very well and has some really awful segments. Max Payne 3 is easily the best MP game (well it's also the greatest third person shooter ever)

BEAST's biggest mistake was not enlisting TARS for the docking mission.

tumblr_nlmpqihcUV1qgfbkmo3_500.gif

honestly MP1 kind of sucks. MP2 is cool but hasn't aged very well and has some really awful segments. Max Payne 3 is easily the best MP game (well it's also the greatest third person shooter ever)

I played Max Payne 2 for the first time last year and thought the opposite, that the game was still good even with the amount of time that had passed. But then again i grew up with shooters on the PC and the first two max payne games very much are PC ass PC games where it's clear those games were designed with quick saves/loads in mind as well as wasd controls.

Hell, you can't even throw explosives in MP3! so sure, there's a cover system and the ragdoll physics in the game is amazing the 90% of the time it works, but two steps forward and one step back. And that's not even speaking to the meh story and the complete tonal shift MP3 is compared to Remedy's games.

MP1 definitely can eat a bag of dick for its dream sequences, though. wow are those things terrible.
Does old premium content sometimes end up on the front page and I've just never noticed or is this a glitch?

gbhome.png

naw, that has to be intentional as a way to celebrate the amazing life of ziggy stardust

Kerbal part 5:
seeing the rescue ship on screen for like 5 frames and it's multiple kilometers away was one of the funnier things we've gotten in a while.
What a horrible, hilarious plan. God this series is good.

KingKong

I played Max Payne 2 for the first time last year and thought the opposite, that the game was still good even with the amount of time that had passed. But then again i grew up with shooters on the PC and the first two max payne games very much are PC ass PC games where it's clear those games were designed with quick saves/loads in mind as well as wasd controls.

Hell, you can't even throw explosives in MP3! so sure, there's a cover system and the ragdoll physics in the game is amazing the 90% of the time it works, but two steps forward and one step back. And that's not even speaking to the meh story and the complete tonal shift MP3 is compared to Remedy's games.

MP1 definitely can eat a bag of dick for its dream sequences, though. wow are those things terrible.

I mean it's a fun game but it's got that terrible 90s platforming, the Mona levels with the sniping, the mascot level

also I remember it being super easy when I replayed it, but I don't remember if it had difficulty levels and I was just playing on normal

Nah, that was the end of Max Payne 2. That was Max moving on. "She was dead, but it was all right." Max Payne 3 was totally unnecessary and didn't do anything interesting for Max. Literally ends with him sipping beers on a beach somewhere. I hate it.

I thought it was fine to get a newer game because it felt like there was more to say after all that's happened in MP1 and 2, it helps that Max is a very well written and realized character. MP3 gave us another layer of Max, a broken and tired Max wanting to move on from the demons that still haunt him instead of being lost in them. I honestly think it would be funny if he was still an NYPD cop after all that shit.

While he didn't even have to make or take what happened in 3 as something personal, my favorite thing about it is that he did do just that and dive head first into whatever shit hole there was in São Paulo as a way to redeem himself not for just went wrong at his new job but as sort of a way to redeem himself completely from his demons by taking on something way over his head, he got absolutely nothing to lose. I mean, I didn't know what to expect after 9 years but man did it go with a bang and everything just kept escalating all the way to the end with many memorable moments. I loved what they did instead of retreading the same grounds, it felt like a logical continuation to Max.

Now with all that said and done, MP3 has a fantastic soundtrack as well.

Pain
Tears
Shells
Painkillers
Max Panama
Combat Drugs

pUgRO.gif

Now I wanna play it again. :/ Haha, bumping into walls in that game was enjoyable just to see how you end up on the floor. The shooting, the way he holds a double handed gun with his other hand.etc everything looks and feels badass.

Nero18

pUgRO.gif

Now I wanna play it again. :/ Haha, bumping into walls in that game was enjoyable just to see how you end up on the floor. The shooting, the way he holds a double handed gun with his other hand.etc everything looks and feels badass.

To me it felt like one of the true action games we have seen. Something in the style of a Die Hard or T2.

Houndi101

My only problem with Max Payne 3 is the load times
I've played through 1 and 2 half a dozen times because it's so easy to skip the story stuff and just rerun rooms to your hearts content
Goddamn I loved the gameplay of Max Payne 3 tho

Lunar FC

Literally pacing my room watching this kerbal rescue mission rn.

Edit: Hahahah, was wondering when they would realize that
the ships are going to fly past eachother at like 1,500 m/s.

My only problem with Max Payne 3 is the load times
I've played through 1 and 2 half a dozen times because it's so easy to skip the story stuff and just rerun rooms to your hearts content
Goddamn I loved the gameplay of Max Payne 3 tho

I recommend you play through the arcade mode, it skips all the cutscenes automatically. It also has some awesome things to unlock.

0.jpg

Nero18

So weird to see people be worried about their office space. The upstairs office just seemed like a room where they were put so nobody had to deal with them and the studio was what it was. New place looks much better.

Myggen

So weird to see people be worried about their office space. The upstairs office just seemed like a room where they were put so nobody had to deal with them and the studio was what it was. New place looks much better.

Yeah, what they had wasn't a studio. They were just really resourceful and managed to turn part of their hallway into sort of a studio. Drew has said that the new studio space is bigger than what they used of that hallway, so I'm sure it's gonna be great. Having a bigger podcasting studio by themselves sounds pretty good too.

Speaking of offices, what's the latest on the GBEast setup? I remember a while ago it was a pretty chaotic situation but I can't recall any updates on the matter.

I'm done trying to convince people but MP3 is an amazing game that I've bought twice and beaten on hardest difficulty like 5 times and I don't understand why people don't like it

BECKERRRRR

Lmao at Vinny doing two completely random perpendicular orbits and still manage to get an intercept on the node hahahaha.

I wonder if Vinny realizes how much of a charmed life he leads in KSP. the odds of him doing half the things he does are so low it's crazy

Wunder

Yeah, what they had wasn't a studio. They were just really resourceful and managed to turn part of their hallway into sort of a studio. Drew has said that the new studio space is bigger than what they used of that hallway, so I'm sure it's gonna be great. Having a bigger podcasting studio by themselves sounds pretty good too.

I'm greatly looking forward to the video podcast(s)

Patryn

I dunno.

I found it a little weird when the random woman was walking through the mailbag.

I kind of liked how they had their own little area that they could pull their shenanigans.

EDIT: Talking about where their desks are. The studio I have no opinion on, since we haven't seen what the new one looks like finished.

KingKong

MP3 is by far the best game Rockstar has made and GTA5 was a real letdown because I thought they finally figured out how to make games that are fun and challenging to play

Xater

MP3 is by far the best game Rockstar has made and GTA5 was a real letdown because I thought they finally figured out how to make games that are fun and challenging to play

MP3 was a total letdown for anyone that liked Max Payne before. That game was a total bummer.

Nero18

I dunno.

I found it a little weird when the random woman was walking through the mailbag.

I kind of liked how they had their own little area that they could pull their shenanigans.

EDIT: Talking about where their desks are. The studio I have no opinion on, since we haven't seen what the new one looks like finished.

But like video shenanigans in the office space is like what they do 1% of their time in that space. Most of the time, they are just sitting at their desks working. And the new office just seems to be a nice place to work. Better lightning and stuff like that, just more quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom