• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
u3DgPyZ.png

it's also a huge lol because it's not like the Max Payne games are things anyone has ever come to specifically for their plot. The writing maybe, but never the plot.

I'd be willing to concede my point somewhat if we're going to separate the writing from the plot. because the "plot" here is somewhat perfunctory as an excuse to move the game to new/interesting locations.

but the actual writing is among the best in any game I've ever played.

I played it this weekend too and enjoyed it, although the ending was abrupt as hell. Felt like there should have been some kind of epilogue after that last scene.

I can agree with that.

My total playtime was 60 minutes. I clicked through most of the folders and pictures and can imagine that can take up more time worldbuilding and I liked the desktop concept. I think the $5 I paid on the last sale is about right. It's extremely similar to Emily is Away in invoking similar feelings (I did kick a couple bucks over to the EiA guy), and taking both into account, they're worth at least clicking through for a few minutes.

I can agree with that.

My total playtime was 60 minutes. I clicked through most of the folders and pictures and can imagine that can take up more time worldbuilding and I liked the desktop concept. I think the $5 I paid on the last sale is about right. It's extremely similar to Emily is Away in invoking similar feelings (I did kick a couple bucks over to the EiA guy), and taking both into account, they're worth at least clicking through for a few minutes.

Yep, I played Emily is Away recently too and they're great companion pieces. The way they resonated with and resembled my teenage memories was almost eerie.

Zaph

Oh man the latest Kerbal. You knew from the get go what the end result would be, but their increasing excitement as the two orbits got 'closer' together was infectious. Reality hitting them like a (rocket powered) train was probably one of the funniest GB moments.

jaina

SoM = Secret of Mana
AA = Ace Attorney
already lost the MK to Incandenza :'(

Some TV guide descriptions say " at a huge bash celebrating Disney’s newest Star Wars video game", so I think JV got some good promo out of that show :)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm done trying to convince people but MP3 is an amazing game that I've bought twice and beaten on hardest difficulty like 5 times and I don't understand why people don't like it

I don't like it because:

1) The pacing is awful. There's a cutscene every other time Max opens a door, especially early game.

2) The animation priority that works in GTA or RDR kind of totally ruins the shootdodging if you hit anything at all. And the bullets aren't hitscan which is fine (MP2 worked the same) but the amount of times I've been in that last chance mode and the bullets just hit some object instead of what I'm aiming at is super frustrating.

3) It's a bald-faced Man on Fire ripoff. Rockstar always rips off movies and pretends like they're geniuses for it, but in this case it's egregious. Even the damn video effects, but turned up to 11. Obnoxious.

4) The writing isn't good enough. It wants to make comments on classism and socio-economic inequality but it never commits to any of it. Max's dialogue plays like a bad, too-sincere imitation of Remedy's, which was self-aware enough to pull it off (Dick Justice, for example). Remedy nailed the balance between homage and parody. Rockstar doesn't. It's just dour and Serious in tone and thinks that amounts to profound or good.

5) It didn't need to exist.

I say all this is a Max Payne 2 superfan, so I'm coming from a very specific place. It's not an awful game. But I don't like it.

justjim89

Fuck, Dan and Patrick are gonna go to a Chicago Raw in March. Now I gotta get tickets. Never had a chance to meet any of the duders in person before.

Xater

Fuck, Dan and Patrick are gonna go to a Chicago Raw in March. Now I gotta get tickets. Never had a chance to meet any of the duders in person before.

I met Alex when he was still doing Harmonix PR. That was before the release of Rock Band Beatles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom