• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

GRRM seems kinda sick of having to write them too now. I don't think ADOS will ever come out really.

I will allow him to stop writing A Song of Ice and Fire if he writes another Tuf Voyaging.

For those that don't know it's about a salty old fat dude who travels the galaxy on an ancient mega ship he found solving ecological crisis whilst telling the people causing them what dipshits they are.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to believe the conspiracies he has nothing but the preview chapters done though. I hope to be proven very wrong and see Winds of Winter this year.

Nah. No way it shows up this year. All the rumors and such that he had so many problems with certain POV characters (Dany, Tyrion and Jon apparently) Given that Winds should be focusing on (some of) those characters again, I bet it takes a long time to show up still. I will happily be proven wrong however.

danm999

Nah. No way it shows up this year. All the rumors and such that he had so many problems with certain POV characters (Dany, Tyrion and Jon apparently) Given that Winds should be focusing on (some of) those characters again, I bet it takes a long time to show up still. I will happily be proven wrong however.

Oh yeah no way I expect it to, just that I hope it does.

And yeah sounds like he still hasn't cut the Meereenese knot.

Zaph

Been reading (and re-reading) the books since '97 ish, and come to terms long ago that I'm not going to get an ending in the original medium. HBO's will have to do.

help i ate panda express

Been reading (and re-reading) the books since '97 ish, and come to terms long ago that I'm not going to get an ending in the original medium. HBO's will have to do.

HBO's take will clearly be shit but those last two books were weak, so, I dunno, fuck it.

tuxfool

Banned
If they know the endgame then I'll take it. Just want some closure on this story and if all GRRM can do is smirk and say My Version Will Be Better while nothing comes out then fuck it, at least it'll end somehow.

They apparently do know the endgame. However, right now they have been bending so many things that I personally consider integral (even if they're not good in the books), I'm certain it will diverge massively from the book ending.

popo

After reading the last two books (Feast especially) - I will take the TV show thx.

GRRM seems kinda sick of having to write them too now. I don't think ADOS will ever come out really.

Brandon Sanderson will finish it while putting out two of his own books the same year.

popo

Are Sanderson's books written in the same POV style as Jordan's or GRRM's books?

nah, he just has a reputation as a fast writer and is known for picking up Wheel of Time and tying up the loose ends.

Joking aside though. I would say both authors are similar in that their world building is a lot better than their prose.

tuxfool

Banned
nah, he just has a reputation as a fast writer and is known for picking up Wheel of Time and tying up the loose ends.

Joking aside though. I would say both authors are similar in that their world building is a lot better than their prose.

At least Jordan was close to finishing, and would have, had he not gotten sick. He also wrote a heck of a lot more than GRRM.

Myggen

At least Jordan was close to finishing, and would have, had he not gotten sick. He also wrote a heck of a lot more than GRRM.

You could argue that Jordan should've written much less than he did. Holy crap did that series go to shit.

Edit: Great episode of Kerbal this week.

Read Guy Gavriel Kay for prose, Martin for characters, Sanderson for worldbuilding, and Erikson for politics.

Salvatore for impossibly fast scimitars and apostrophes

Jintor

yuru yuri

i read the beginning of a mistborn book and dropped it like a hot potato. not my thing. felt like reading a videogame.

repeater

Fuck, Dan and Patrick are gonna go to a Chicago Raw in March. Now I gotta get tickets. Never had a chance to meet any of the duders in person before.
That seems like an incredibly high price to pay (in every sense of the phrase) to get the chance to meet and greet the Scoops brothers.

I should watch and catch up on Project Beast.
I used to really like the Tell 'em Steve Dave podcast, especially the Making Hay episodes. Not sure why I fell off it. Are they still good even after all the success?
I still find it pretty hilarious. They talk about their various TV shows occasionally but not really a deterrent for their shooting the shit talk.

GavinGT

Banned
Just started watching the new Project B.E.A.S.T. Oh boy, they're gonna do everything wrong here.

They managed to stumble their way onto landing on the moon. They're not just going to stumble onto how to correctly perform an orbital rescue.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, the one who wrote Midnight Tides, which is basically 900 pages of him shitting on a certain racist, capitalist, imperialist society that might as well have "The Western World" in a big banner over it

It is one book, the rest of them a minimally political. There is that stuff of course, but it is far from the focus.

Hahaha Project Beast is so good. Spoiler:

NOT CLOSE
hayVEdA.png

It is one book, the rest of them a minimally political. There is that stuff of course, but it is far from the focus.
Guess I have to disagree with you there. If it weren't for the surprising depth of the anthropological/political themes in that series I would have dumped it halfway through.

tuxfool

Banned
Guess I have to disagree with you there. If it weren't for the surprising depth of the anthropological/political themes in that series I would have dumped it halfway through.

Oh, I agree about the anthropology 100%, just not the depth or the importance given to more abstract political themes. Makes sense, given the author is an archaeologist and anthropologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom