• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is how people with bad internet kill time.

I can't finish downloading the Witcher 3 because I didn't wake up to my alarm for the free zone, or the kerbal video that everyone finds amazing, I have to find something to do with this shit. Small still images + text boards.

Did the Bloodborne DLC come up in deliberations? I know it wouldn't have helped it a whole ton for any reason, but it sure did add some really awesome environments and weapons and it would have been fun to hear them talk about that.

Joeku

Good to see the tension is alive and well in XCOM 2 in that quicklook EX. Those final moments, ungh. Stupid $80 Canadian game prices.

Joeku

Also, the way they titled the QLEX makes it sound like the name of the game is "XCOM 2 with Garth DeAngelis and Mark Nauta".

Psh, I mention furries once and people lose it, but this scalie talk is everywhere!

i think furries is one of those "i know it when i see it" things where sometimes its fine, sometimes i get grossed out.

Star fox is a perfect example of what feels alright for me, for example. So if you want to talk about star fox then bring it on

Just now getting to the latest Kerbal...

Hilarious.

They weren't as close as they thought (over 1km) when they passed. Can't wait for the next one!

Psh, I mention furries once and people lose it, but this scalie talk is everywhere!

do you feel the need to make it more apparent that you're a furry since you changed your avatar

i think furries is one of those "i know it when i see it" things where sometimes its fine, sometimes i get grossed out.

Star fox is a perfect example of what feels alright for me, for example. So if you want to talk about star fox then bring it on

yeah but once you bring krystal into the picture those waters get pretty muddy

ah jeez i forgot about her. is she in a mainline star fox game though? i only remember her from Star Fox Adventures, a game that no one seems to recall but that was an alright zelda-like from back in the day

Star Fox Command's plot points include Fox's relationship with Krystal and Slippy falling in love with some dumb frog named Amanda.

Just now getting to the latest Kerbal...

Hilarious.

They weren't as close as they thought (over 1km) when they passed. Can't wait for the next one!

1km is just a short hop by EVA. Of course, no distance is going to make up for the fact that they were flying in perpendicular orbits.

well that's not really considered a mainline game though, right? That's the weird one with a bunch of ground gameplay and stuff.

Stick to the official Star Fox timeline, piston.
No, that's Assault.

Command is the DS game that's like Star Fox 2 with a map you go around on. It has like a million endings that are mostly supposed to be silly, but some of them veer way too close to what a Star Fox fanboy would seriously write.

Is it too late for the XCOM 2 devs to add some EDF-style chanting when you do something badass?

it's a pc game on unreal, im sure that if someone wants to do it they'll figure it out.

xcom itself had an awesome mod called the long war which is basically xcom on steroids. The PC fanbase for xcom kicks ass

No, that's Assault.

Command is the DS game that's like Star Fox 2 with a map you go around on. It has like a million endings that are mostly supposed to be silly, but some of them veer way too close to what a Star Fox fanboy would seriously write.

oh man, i was hoping that command wasn't a sincere effort at a star fox game but now im bummed out to see that it was. goddamnit nintendo.

at least they made up for it with star fox 64 3d and now with star fox zero. Lets put this dark star fox past behind us

tchocky

In Kerbal it seems the plan is to get the rockets in a side by side orbit and then move the kerbal over, my probably dumb question is when the kerbal lets go of his rocket to float over will he continue to move at the same speed as the two rockets.

Megasoum

Banned
In Kerbal it seems the plan is to get the rockets in a side by side orbit and then move the kerbal over, my probably dumb question is when the kerbal lets go of his rocket to float over will he continue to move at the same speed as the two rockets.

Yup, that's how science work.

XCOM 2 looks really good. I'd still like to have controller support but what can you do. When the last one got released I just had the game on my TV for the entire weekend and I kept switching between actively playing, doing some turns slowly while doing other things and not playing at all.
Is it too late for the XCOM 2 devs to add some EDF-style chanting when you do something badass?

Well one of the reasons they went PC only was modding so you can do it yourself!

as long as neither vessel is accelerating at the time

which actually wouldn't surprise me at this point

Noaloha

I'm sure Vinny's done it by now (since these videos are still from a few weeks ago and I'm sure he's been pebble-dashed with internet 'advice'), but if the team are set on a rescue mission, the game's 'Docking' tutorial covers most of the basics (for want of a better word). No set up, it just throws you straight into a situation where you have to align your rescue vessel's orbit, velocity, etc. with a stranded Kerbal's.

SomberOwl

I really hope XCOM 2 comes to consoles sooner rather than later. July/August would be perfect.

I hope it actually comes to consoles at all to think of it.

Haunted

XCOM 2 not having controller support at launch is a ludicrous decision.

as long as neither vessel is accelerating at the time

which actually wouldn't surprise me at this point
"We could be going so much faster right now!"

"The faster we go, the faster we're bringing these guys home!"

Sulik2

I really hope XCOM 2 comes to consoles sooner rather than later. July/August would be perfect.

I hope it actually comes to consoles at all to think of it.

I wouldn't hold your breath on this. X-COM sold badly on consoles and they are going all in on PC features.

f0rk

I tried playing xcom a couple of months ago and was surprised how quickly the interface had dated. It felt like it was built for consoles, so I'm glad they are starting with pc only

XCOM 2 not having controller support at launch is a ludicrous decision.

"We could be going so much faster right now!"

"The faster we go, the faster we're bringing these guys home!"

there's zero reason that a turned based game of any sort wouldn't have controller support outside of them not wanting to invest in two different UIs for their game, which i kinda understand.

That said: duder, get a steam controller. I know the crew isn't hot on it but the steam community makes excellent profiles for non-controller games that make them work really well. Hell, i've been using it for games that do support 360 pads and even then, having the back paddles available and having the camera set to the right trackpad really works well.

it takes a while to get used to the steam controller but once you see the benefits of the extra buttons and features (gyro shooting is terrific), the long as hell battery life, the fact that it works with almost every game, and the great community that has created profiles for the controller to save you the trouble, well, it's now my main controller for my PC games.

That said: duder, get a steam controller. I know the crew isn't hot on it but the steam community makes excellent profiles for non-controller games that make them works really well. Hell, i've been using it for games that do support 360 pads and even then, having the back paddles available and having the camera set to the right trackpad really works out well.

it takes a while to get used to the steam controller but once you see the benefits of the extra buttons and features (gyro shooting is terrific), the long as hell battery life, the fact that it works with almost every game, and the great community that has created profiles for the controller to save you the trouble, well, it's now my main controller for my PC games.

yeah I might end up doing that. my wrist and fingers are so fucked up with RSIs or arthritis or whatever that playing with a mouse just isn't really practical most of the time.

yeah I might end up doing that. my wrist and fingers are so fucked up with RSIs or arthritis or whatever that playing with a mouse just isn't really practical most of the time.

It's a great pad but there's definitely a learning curve. I would suggest playing a game with pad support just to get a feel for how the pad works in a familiar setting before trying it out with a non-controller game. It'll help inform you as to how you would like to approach the controller in future games and also get you used to the pad in general.

I found out how great it was when i was 40 hours into the witcher 3. I decided to give the pad a go since my battery died on my 360 pad earlier in the day and i was like fuck it, lets dust this thing off.

Once i saw that they had assigned quicksave to one of the rear paddles (a fucking godsend) and how well the right pad worked for quick yet controllable camera support i was hooked.

repeater

da fuk. Why can't I skip "next time on The Walking Dead" when I own the entire season.
Thats really strange.
It never crossed my mind that this SHOULD be a possibility. I thought the "next time on..." segments were kind of a stylistic choice inspired by TV series, not only a commercial tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom