• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I can't stop watching the flyby moment in the Kerbal video. It is so good.

"He went by at MILLION MILES AN HOUR. That was IMPOSSIBLE!"

justjim89

It's hilarious that they are keeping the narrative stuff so close to the chest when it's things like "Duff the swordsman" that actually last for the XCOM stories.

I don't know why they act like the actual plot is important, since they basically took the plot of the last game and went "Nope, fuck you, you lost."

I don't know why they act like the actual plot is important, since they basically took the plot of the last game and went "Nope, fuck you, you lost."
I don't get why that would suddenly make the plot of this game unimportant, they clearly did that because they thought they could do something more interesting with the premise of xcom 2. If anything it just strengthens the fact that the plot might be worth paying attention to as it's a story they wanted to tell.

Strax

It never crossed my mind that this SHOULD be a possibility. I thought the "next time on..." segments were kind of a stylistic choice inspired by TV series, not only a commercial tool.

If I had to wait a week like during a TV show I'd understand but when I'm buying it all in one pack it feel super out of place.

wait, there was a story in XCOM?

there's the story you have playing through it, like that moment you realize you can only send one satellite per nation and you had been counting on sending more, so now you realize that you need to let japan know that they're supremely fucked.

I really liked how everyone had their own stories from the campaign but it really all boils down to aliens invade->a special forces is established to fight them back->you win. And that's fine because the true enemy isn't even the aliens, it's their RNG capabilities

BearPawB

Banned
I'm so ready for X-com 2.
All the early previews talk about how challenging it is on normal.

Concealment seems like a great fix to the early game, ambushes are awesome.

It also seems like they are going full out with some of the tech/skill choices. They didn't show later game stuff in the QLEX, but there are YouTube vids out there.

I'm pumped

Also: yeah, rorie is underrated. He is the best in QLEX because he will ask any question that floats to his brain.
Brad sometimes seems hesitant.

I meant I failed a lot. that was my story.

but if someone's looking for a compelling plot to these games they're maybe better off looking elsewhere.

I've read that you may be wrong, that the story stuff is really good

"I did not expect XCOM 2 to move me, to invest me in a storyline. But in the opening missions and cinematics that's exactly what it's done.

Sadly, I'm not able to go into specifics. What I can say is that for the first time in the franchise's history it has real characters, interesting people with a backstory and a point of view. People you want to root for. People you will invariably have to save or sacrifice."

-polygon
http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/8/10736718/xcom-2-preview-stop-crying-commander

Guys, last night I just discovered an entire Demo Derby I had somehow completely missed - it was lost in the shuffle during a super busy time in my life. It was the one from July 25th that featured Drew's masterclass tips seminar on Mat Hoffman.

I felt like I had found $100 in a coat pocket.

repeater

If I had to wait a week like during a TV show I'd understand but when I'm buying it all in one pack it feel super out of place.
I don't know, I played Game of Thrones in more or less one sitting and I still felt that the "Next time on..." segments worked in that they got me pumped to go into the next episode.

I'm so ready for X-com 2.
All the early previews talk about how challenging it is on normal.

Concealment seems like a great fix to the early game, ambushes are awesome.

yeah that's why the situation for this one seems so cool to me. if you have to do the scrappy guerilla thing that's an interesting twist on the formula. we've had like 4 official XCOM games that use the same basic formula before this one. not to mention the dozens of spiritual successors/clones

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've found Austin's "to where", or "ostensibly".

"It's tough."

He says it like a dozen times in the latest beastcast, and I noticed Vinny started saying it too.

Guys, last night I just discovered an entire Demo Derby I had somehow completely missed - it was lost in the shuffle during a super busy time in my life. It was the one from July 25th that featured Drew's masterclass tips seminar on Mat Hoffman.

I felt like I had found $100 in a coat pocket.

What a delightful surprise that must have been! I realized a couple of months ago that I'd never watched the Beyond: Two Souls QL, and I wonder what other videos I may have missed.

Myggen

"It's tough."

He says it like a dozen times in the latest beastcast, and I noticed Vinny started saying it too.

I think most people have those quirks. It's just that you notice them so much better when you passively listen to someone talk on a podcast than in actual conversation.

popo

da fuk. Why can't I skip "next time on The Walking Dead" when I own the entire season.
Thats really strange.

I think all telltale games do that. I remember diving for the "mute speakers" button playing that Fables game.

It never crossed my mind that this SHOULD be a possibility. I thought the "next time on..." segments were kind of a stylistic choice inspired by TV series, not only a commercial tool.

You should always have the choice to skip things like that. I don't care how long and hard you worked on your cutscenes. Buying the whole season makes it worse, if you are paying the episodes on release, or watching a show week to week, you at least have time to forget what just got spoiled.

jaina

I've already waited 3 years to futz around with VR, i'm kind of tired of waiting. I sort of just want that first gen experiance of messing around with something cool. But the barriers to entry are high indeed.
I thought about getting a used DK2 for a cheaper "first gen experience". But that'd be wasted money, wouldn't it? Better (wait and) buy the retail thing.

"It's tough."

ICYMI http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191843283#post191843283

Zaph

Verbal quirks can be a tricky one to shake, especially when you spend hours and hours talking to the same people. My previous job brought in a public speaking coach to help with client pitches, and the most common instruction was to talk slower to give yourself more time to think and form a more pleasing cadence. However I imagine that doesn't really work too well when you're talking fast to squeeze a few words in before one of the other 3-8 people cut you off.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I thought about getting a used DK2 for a cheaper "first gen experience". But that'd be wasted money, wouldn't it? Better (wait and) buy the retail thing.]

Still have the DK2 I used in college. Was planning on selling it but never got around to doing it. I'm going to assume people will be writing compatibility scripts for "CV1 only" games/apps.

I thought about getting a used DK2 for a cheaper "first gen experience". But that'd be wasted money, wouldn't it? Better (wait and) buy the retail thing.

I say this to everyone who mentions getting a DK2: Don't.

The consumer rift is such a colossal step up from the DK2. Unless you can get one for like, less than $100, just wait. Even then it's such a pain in the ass getting the thing working, and once you do it's such a compromised experience. CV1 is a huge leap ahead of DK1.

I just stumbled across Jeff's nom de plume at work:

EAcTB3m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom