• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

I think Jason said it was a shame there wasn't a PC version. There isn't and one has not been announced yet. Steam leak cannot be cited as fact.

Since all we talk about is Star Wars here: I know Dan watches these films once every couple of days. But does he watch the despecialized versions or is he the uber uncool guy and watches the special editions? I don't think he's mentioned which one he watches.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Strax

I love the anarchy a Jeff hosted bombcast brings. Don't get me wrong Brad does a great job but the Jeff shows feel a little looser and lawless.

Also a little bit of email beef occasionally makes me laugh uproariously.

When Jeff hosted the Bombcast he mixed the volume so low it was really annoying.

aEAtCdU.gif

(Courtesy of another thread.)

Binary Domain is so good. It's a damn shame that no one played it.

Megasoum

Banned
Watching a random SMM Twitch stream... I had no idea you could use the helicopter suit in the NSMB tileset...

Sigh... It bugs me that as much as they played SMM on the site, they still won't give NSMB a try. So many great possibilities for Dan's levels.

TraBuch

Banned
One thing that bugs me about Brad Bombcasts is that he's always so hesitant. Something that Brad would say "I don't know if I should read this email..." about, Jeff has zero problems reading without a second thought.

One thing that bugs me about Brad Bombcasts is that he's always so hesitant. Something that Brad would say "I don't know if I should read this email..." about, Jeff has zero problems reading without a second thought.

He's the opposite of Ryan's "that's it, I'm cutting that out" style of hosting. Just like Jeff is the antithesis of Vinny for 'casting.

Everything was opposites.

Noaloha

It's been noted before that Jeff subscribes to the "just wanna watch the world burn" style of daily dealings. I'm sure there are some emails that he promptly tosses in the trash, but I equally think he's not fazed by instances of dumb/ugly/nasty shit just kinda popping up in an unplanned way.

Brad also always does the "uhh we're running really long lets end this I've got stuff to do" thing which while it may be true DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD. Makes it sound like you don't want to be there.

Brad also always does the "uhh we're running really long lets end this I've got stuff to do" thing which while it may be true DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD. Makes it sound like you don't want to be there.

Which, I mean, DOTA and Destiny are right there. Brad just needs to get to them.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

True. On one hand this means there are some overlong segments and a general lack of ruthlessness in switching between subjects but on the other, it allows conversations to develop organically. I think Brad is a better host than Jeff, I've really enjoyed his tenure. It adds more balance to the cast.

Nobody can match Vinny though. He brings energy, preparedness and a creativity that just makes it a real joy to listen. Their willingness to try new things is great.

Tubobutts

One of the things I don't like about Bradcasts is that we get less of Brad falling asleep and then perking up when they start to talk about bugs living in people's faces.

Myggen

True. On one hand this means there are some overlong segments and a general lack of ruthlessness in switching between subjects but on the other, it allows conversations to develop organically. I think Brad is a better host than Jeff, I've really enjoyed his tenure. It adds more balance to the cast.

Nobody can match Vinny though. He brings energy, preparedness and a creativity that just makes it a real joy to listen. Their willingness to try new things is great.

If we're nitpicking, my problem with Vinny as a host is that he can be bad at hosting the longer, more serious segments. Those segments, like all the times they've discussed YouTube etc., tend to go long regardless of whether they've got anything interesting to say about the subject. I love the Beastcast, but that's my main problem with the podcast.

Good luck on the final mission, it's very do-able but it's certainly the "okay, now show me that you're capable" proving ground thing. It's not quite as ball-busting as FTL's final stage, thankfully.

Is this a 'beginner' ahem still challenging, campaign?

And have you had any "oh shit I'm fucked, no wait I can [hack a drone to close this door!]" type system moments yet?

I'm playing on beginner difficulty with the DLC turned off. I've got one more mission before my 72 hours are up, and I'm thinking of hitting a cybernetics lab so I can get a 6th augment on Sharp to max out his special passive.

I haven't pulled any particularly cunning tricks yet, I think I need to get a better feel for the rules and flow of the game first. By "close this door", do you mean moving it in front of a doorway to seal it off?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Awesome, started Satellite Reign and the first thing I notice is that the first character they start you with is named after a Gamergate meme. It wouldn't be fair to condem (or whatever a more suitable verb might be) the entire game/team because of that but it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That's kind of your problem for knowing Gamergate memes. I didn't notice it when I played.

I think the starting characters might be randomized too, so it most likely was just a kickstarter reward for a random NPC citizen to be named after you.

Noaloha

By "close this door", do you mean moving it in front of a doorway to seal it off?

Essentially, yeah. Like character A just got spotted by a dude in an adjacent room. She's going to die because she cannot get to cover in a single square and nobody else is able to take out the offending baddie.

But there's a surveillance drone wandering around, just in range, who you realise you can hack, take over, and move close enough to the partitioning door to trigger the "close door" action, breaking line of sight and allowing your was-gonna-be-dead teammate to move freely into cover/overwatch.

daydream

Banned
25th is first christmas day but christmas eve is where it's at (presents + food!)

so yeah, enjoy the holidays, euro friends, and a happy easter to all

WvP2vx8.png

Tubobutts

I'm not a Christian so when my friends talk about Christmas I pretend I've never heard of it and don't understand why you would put a tree inside your house.

tuxfool

Banned
Europe can't help but mess up this glorious capitalist holiday. Typical.
You guys only changed the rules so Aussies and Kiwis don't get it first.

It been like this since before Australia and New Zealand celebrated Xmas. Since before those names even existed.

A PC version of EDF seems to miss the point.

You want to go "yeah... all these bugs are totally ruining this framerate and thats ok becuase JUST LOOK AT ALL THESE BUGS!"

Hopefully they include some kind of setting on the PC that ups the number of bugs on screen to 10% over what your PC can acceptably render to keep the feel of EDF alive.

Myggen

A PC version of EDF seems to miss the point.

You want to go "yeah... all these bugs are totally ruining this framerate and thats ok becuase JUST LOOK AT ALL THESE BUGS!"

Hopefully they include some kind of setting on the PC that ups the number of bugs on screen to 10% over what your PC can acceptably render to keep the feel of EDF alive.

Need some endless bugs mod or something.

yami4ct

Ok. Beat the
True Pacifist ending
of Undertale. My opinion is roughly the same as last night. I think the writing in the back half is much much stronger than the middle, but ultimately the game is still let down by being super boring to play. The battle mechanics feel more there to convey an idea than be fun, and they lead to interesting moments, but they make the game tedious for me to actually play. The narrative gets a bit obvious and heavy handed at times, but I enjoyed the writing quite a bit and I'm glad I played it for those reasons. The game is still almost surely not a Top 10 for me this year, which is more due to how damn strong everything else was.

Reading about the
Genocide Route
is interesting and I like how much the game can change, but it doesn't shift my opinion that much.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm watching the old Famicom/Super Famicom stream from 2012... Something I really appreciate is that it looks like they stopped doing the mirrored images on more recent streams.

For example on that stream Jeff is sitting on the host chair and Ryan was on the couch but on the stream Jeff was on the left and Ryan on the right and they mirrored Jeff's image so that he looked toward the center of the image even if in reality he was looking to the left (his right).

I remember they used to do this all the time and for some reason it always bugged me.

Need some endless bugs mod or something.

I remember the original version of DMC4 on PC had a mode that just had you fighting hundreds of enemies at once and it would wreck your framerate at the time. Pretty rad though.

It might have ended up in the recent rerelease as well.

Oh and I have €4 in steam credit. What dumb joke games can I buy and gift people?

Edit. Brothers is less than €2. Sure!

Tubobutts

Well, it kinda is, so no worries there.

If that's the case I have a question for you, although I guess it's more of a complaint. I've only met two Swedish people so it's a small sample size, and they were related to each other so it's probably even smaller. Both of them had brown hair, were shorter than me, and didn't speak in hilarious accents.

Why has the media lied to me? Mostly the hilarious accent part, they sounded pretty much like Americans.

Ok. Beat the
True Pacifist ending
of Undertale. My opinion is roughly the same as last night. I think the writing in the back half is much much stronger than the middle, but ultimately the game is still let down by being super boring to play. The battle mechanics feel more there to convey an idea than be fun, and they lead to interesting moments, but they make the game tedious for me to actually play. The narrative gets a bit obvious and heavy handed at times, but I enjoyed the writing quite a bit and I'm glad I played it for those reasons. The game is still almost surely not a Top 10 for me this year, which is more due to how damn strong everything else was.

Reading about the
Genocide Route
is interesting and I like how much the game can change, but it doesn't shift my opinion that much.

I'm so hesitant to play Undertale because I really, really dislike Earthbound and Wario Ware, which are the two comparisons I hear made about the game so often. I guess I'm just curious more than anything and I typically enjoy a game with a good story, but if the gameplay is bad enough (e.g. The Last Of Us and Alan Wake), it's hard for me to bring myself to finish it.

yami4ct

XSEED afaik has a fairly good history with PC ports. At least i know Trails and YS are good.

Just a note, XSEED hasn't done much porting themselves. They don't have the staff for it. They have 1 PC programmer on staff who does all the localization implementation. Occasionally they'll fit in some new bugfixes that weren't in the original PC version. The biggest thing they've done is port extra content from the handheld versions to the PC version. All of Falcom's PC ports are outsourced to other companies.

I'm so hesitant to play Undertale because I really, really dislike Earthbound and Wario Ware, which are the two comparisons I hear made about the game so often. I guess I'm just curious more than anything and I typically enjoy a game with a good story, but if the gameplay is bad enough (e.g. The Last Of Us and Alan Wake), it's hard for me to bring myself to finish it.

Sounds like Undertale is very much not for you. I found the dodging minigames near insufferable and I love WarioWare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom