• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

If that's the case I have a question for you, although I guess it's more of a complaint. I've only met two Swedish people so it's a small sample size, and they were related to each other so it's probably even smaller. Both of them had brown hair, were shorter than me, and didn't speak in hilarious accents.

Why has the media lied to me? Mostly the hilarious accent part, they sounded pretty much like Americans.

In general people in the Nordic countries speak the language pretty well. The accents can be all over the place, so you probably just met someone who were above average there. We learn English from a very early age, and except for children's entertainment, no American/British entertainment is ever dubbed and that's a pretty huge thing. Compare that to a lot of Southern Europe and it's night and day in terms of people's grasp of the language.

But many of us speak in funny accents.

Noaloha

If that's the case I have a question for you, although I guess it's more of a complaint. I've only met two Swedish people so it's a small sample size, and they were related to each other so it's probably even smaller. Both of them had brown hair, were shorter than me, and didn't speak in hilarious accents.

Why has the media lied to me? Mostly the hilarious accent part, they sounded pretty much like Americans.

Oddest thing for me, as someone from the UK in Sweden. There is no british vs american english shit here. When people talk english to me (as they must, because I'm a shit bag who's having a terrible time learning Swedish) they might sound like a cockney or a floridian, depending on what learning aids / TV shows they chose or were provided. Mostly US from what I've seen. Something akin to a Civ-like cultural influence I suppose. I teach English as a second language in a tiny school and the variety is amazing. Many a lesson gets derailed with GAF-like colour-vs-color tangents.

Xater

Merry Christmas from Germany!p

We brought you this guy who is now star of a major motion picture:

imagequkj5.jpeg

You should totally go and see Krampus because it's great. If you gave seen Trick 'R Treat, it's made by the same guy.

popo

Does anyone know if the Gävlebocken survived this year?

2011-burning-goat.jpg

I'm not a Christian so when my friends talk about Christmas I pretend I've never heard of it and don't understand why you would put a tree inside your house.

They make fun of you when you leave the room.

Joeku

Transistor, Dishonored, Secret of the Magic Crystal...

Harsh, but extremely fair. I got that game on a deep sale the year it was released and was upset about the money and time I wasted.

There aren't enough reaction gifs for this insanity.

And I don't even like Transistor.

I saw someone say that Her Story is a perfect gag gift for the person who already has Bad Rats

mean and wrong but still funny

Shit, at least Her Story is so far outside the normal realm of "video game" that I can get that joke.

yami4ct

Dishonored is the most underrated last gen title imo. Best controlling game of last gen.

Literally the opposite for me. I was so excited hearing about a good stealth game coming out. Once I played it I found out it's barely a stealth game and didn't think it played nearly as well as it was lauded to. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a game.

I'm not a Christian so when my friends talk about Christmas I pretend I've never heard of it and don't understand why you would put a tree inside your house.

Historical reason: Likely a Christian appropriation of similar Pagan rituals to help drive converts.

Modern Reason: It's tradition and people like it because it's festive. It brings a bit of nature into the home and real ones smell nice.

Strax

Literally the opposite for me. I was so excited hearing about a good stealth game coming out. Once I played it I found out it's barely a stealth game and didn't think it played nearly as well as it was lauded to. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a game.

Surely you must be on crack?

Joeku

I genuinely do not understand how you came to that conclusion. How much of it did you play? Can you explain more?

yami4ct

I genuinely do not understand how you came to that conclusion. How much of it did you play? Can you explain more?

I played a good 10 hours. My problem is that their solution to fail states in stealth was basically to make you a walking army. Stealth didn't matter because you could basically just kill everyone with no penalty. Sure, I could just not do that, but I don't find adjusting my play style to make up for a game's failings to be an acceptable solution. I'd much rather play a better game.

Joeku

Would you rather an insta-fail then?

The general course for a stealth game is to have the ability to murder everyone if shit goes sideways. That's not a Dishonored thing. More commonly in modern stealth action games, you're incredibly lethal if you choose to be.

And as far as penalties go, a few kills here and there to get out of a bad situation isn't the end of the world, but there are changes to the story of the game based on whether you kill (and how often) or not, and achievements based on no-kill runs and not being seen whatsoever.

So, I'm still not sure what you're issues with it are.

Edit: Do you prefer your stealth completely disempowered?

Just a note, XSEED hasn't done much porting themselves. They don't have the staff for it. They have 1 PC programmer on staff who does all the localization implementation. Occasionally they'll fit in some new bugfixes that weren't in the original PC version. The biggest thing they've done is port extra content from the handheld versions to the PC version. All of Falcom's PC ports are outsourced to other companies.

Oh right, I forgot about that. My bad.

Tubobutts

Historical reason: Likely a Christian appropriation of similar Pagan rituals to help drive converts.

Modern Reason: It's tradition and people like it because it's festive. It brings a bit of nature into the home and real ones smell nice.

Yeah I know all that. One of my favorite subjects was learning about how Christianity adapted in order to gather converts.

I'm mostly doing it to be annoying.

yami4ct

Would you rather an insta-fail then?

The general course for a stealth game is to have the ability to murder everyone if shit goes sideways. That's not a Dishonored thing. More commonly in modern stealth action games, you're incredibly lethal if you choose to be.

And as far as penalties go, a few kills here and there to get out of a bad situation isn't the end of the world, but there are changes to the story of the game based on whether you kill (and how often) or not, and achievements based on not no-kill runs and not being seen whatsoever.

So, I'm still not sure what you're issues with it are.

Edit: Do you prefer your stealth completely disempowered?

There's a balance between escape options and failure rate. Dishonored is way on the wrong end for me. It basically becomes a stealth game that doesn't encourage stealth. MGSV is in the middle. You can spec in ways that make you lethal, but if you are speced for stealth and come up against more than a handful of guys, your ass is going to get handed to you. If you run into the situation in Dishonored, you basically can shoot your way out with no repercussions.

The best balance I've found so far is Mark of the Ninja.

Yeah I know all that. One of my favorite subjects was learning about how Christianity adapted in order to gather converts.

I'm mostly doing it to be annoying.

The adaptation and history of religious iconography and rituals is a fascinating subject. It makes you see just how connected all these seemingly opposed ideas are.

Mark of the Ninja is so good. Such style.

...I really need to think about Invisible, Inc. The aesthetic turns me off, but I bet it's really good.

Noaloha

I'm in two minds with regard to how Dishonored handled fail-states in the stealth portion of its systems. I do agree that it was a little binary, from Ghost to God-mode slaughter, but my gut feeling for that game was that it kind of *wanted* you to occasionally have to senselessly butcher guards, so - design-wise - it was intent-driven, and done well within that intent.

On the other hand, I do put great weight on stealth games that have multiple levels of severity of fail-state, which 2015 has provided numerous spectacularly good examples of, from MGSV to Invisible Inc.

Joeku

There's a balance between escape options and failure rate. Dishonored is way on the wrong end for me. It basically becomes a stealth game that doesn't encourage stealth. MGSV is in the middle. You can spec in ways that make you lethal, but if you are speced for stealth and come up against more than a handful of guys, your ass is going to get handed to you. If you run into the situation in Dishonored, you basically can shoot your way out with no repercussions.

The best balance I've found so far is Mark of the Ninja.

Right, this goes back to what I said. The repercussion is "you fucked up". You can kill everyone and deal with it (or run away; the teleport is useful there), or reload the save you made 60 seconds ago like you would in any other game that lets you save where you want. Again, it sounds like you'd rather the character be disempowered so that...what? The game tells you that you fucked up instead of letting you decide that?

...I really need to think about Invisible, Inc. The aesthetic turns me off, but I bet it's really good.

After Nels Andersen left Klei I didn't think they could do another stealth game that worked, and moving it to turn-based sounded like a weird attention-grabbing tension-sacrificing death knell.

I was so fucking wrong.

Invisible Inc. is goddamn awesome. Aside from a couple small niggling quirks of having generated levels, it is just as tight as Mark of the Ninja, but through a cool resource of time meets X-Com lens. Play that shit.

yami4ct

Right, this goes back to what I said. The repercussion is "you fucked up". You can kill everyone and deal with it (or run away; the teleport is useful there), or reload the save you made 60 seconds ago like you would in any other game that lets you save where you want. Again, it sounds like you'd rather the character be disempowered so that...what? The game tells you that you fucked up instead of letting you decide that?

Except at that point, the game isn't encouraging stealth. It's just a personal goal. That's not really a stealth game. I guess the biggest problem with Dishonored's system is that the rewards for keeping full stealth at all times are garbage, so why should I as a player care?

Not being an all powerful god is what makes stealth work, It's what gives the game difficulty and tension.

Noaloha

Gonna do my monthly Designer Notes Podcast recommendation, as there's a great one that interviews Klei's Jamie Cheng, and it goes into lots and lots of neat details about the development difficulties of Invisible Inc (and Mark Of The Ninja and etc, etc.).

I'm in two minds with regard to how Dishonored handled fail-states in the stealth portion of its systems. I do agree that it was a little binary, from Ghost to God-mode slaughter, but my gut feeling for that game was that it kind of *wanted* you to occasionally have to senselessly butcher guards, so - design-wise - it was intent-driven, and done well within that intent.

On the other hand, I do put great weight on stealth games that have multiple levels of severity of fail-state, which 2015 has provided numerous spectacularly good examples of, from MGSV to Invisible Inc.

I've only played a bit of Dishonored (the free weekend on Steam turned me off of it in under two hours) but wasn't the chaos system their way of curbing wanton violence? A sort of meta-level stealth fail state.

Anyways, the most disappointing thing about Dishonored is how the Half-Life 2 artist used the exact same barriers to block streets in both games. Like, c'mon.
After Nels Andersen left Klei I didn't think they could do another stealth game that worked, and moving it to turn-based sounded like a weird attention-grabbing tension-sacrificing death knell.

I was so fucking wrong.

Invisible Inc. is goddamn awesome. Aside from a couple small niggling quirks of having generated levels, it is just as tight as Mark of the Ninja, but through a cool resource of time meets X-Com lens. Play that shit.

aP9m9ya.gif

yami4ct

I've heard great things about Invisible, Inc, but I kind of worry that being Turn Based won't give me the feeling I want from most stealth games. It seems pretty XCOM like, though, so I might enjoy it from that angle.

Playing that Assassin's Creed China side-scroller thing has only reminded me just how damn good Mark of the Ninja was. It's trying to do everything that game did with a 2.5D upgrade, but in every single aspect of gameplay MOTN just eats its lunch. I think it's time for a replay.

Ronin was such a cool game. It seems to have been completely forgotten though

From the QL, it demands too much precision when it has so many hidden variables (i.e. animations depending on several things) that screw over the tactical side of the combat, leading to frustrating or needless deaths because the player was a pixel or two off from safety.

The idea sure is cool, but there has to be a better way.

Joeku

Except at that point, the game isn't encouraging stealth. It's just a personal goal. That's not really a stealth game. I guess the biggest problem with Dishonored's system is that the rewards for keeping full stealth at all times are garbage, so why should I as a player care?

The game encourages stealth. The game encourages running up to dudes and stabbing them in the face. The game encourages any mixture of these two. So do you think the game would have been better without the ability to just waste fools willy nilly if you so desire?

Because that is great stress relief in Dishonored. The first-person murder animations are really good.

For what it's worth, I believe the same thing Noaloha does about the game: it was designed that you'd stealth until you get caught and then go on a stabbing spree for ten seconds then try to sneak again. Because of the mission select and relative speed of going through the game multiple times, I did just that on my first playthrough, then did an all stealth run, then replayed some levels to find neat routes and tried to all-ghost the thing. It allows for that and for this crazy shit: https://youtu.be/u3vsXDJ9kCE?t=12s

Why do you need the game to say "good job, you were stealthy" keeping in mind it does do that? At the end of every mission, it tells you whether you were seen or not. There are achievements associated with this too. What else do you need?

Gonna do my monthly Designer Notes Podcast recommendation, as there's a great one that interviews Klei's Jamie Cheng, and it goes into lots and lots of neat details about the development difficulties of Invisible Inc (and Mark Of The Ninja and etc, etc.).
I don't know why I assumed that they wouldn't talk about MotN on Designer Notes. Does Andersen come into the conversation?

Noaloha

I've only played a bit of Dishonored (the free weekend on Steam turned me off of it in under two hours) but wasn't the chaos system their way of curbing wanton violence? A sort of meta-level stealth fail state.

True! I'd forgotten/ignored that. It's a weird ticking of the 'cascading fail-state' boxes though, in that it derives from a (again, very binary, 'light side' and 'dark side') wholesale fence-switch that you're only privy to upon completion. It's not part of the design ethic which eases a stealth player from perfect down to outright failure; it isn't a frustration mitigator.

edit:
I don't know why I assumed that they wouldn't talk about MotN on Designer Notes. Does Andersen come into the conversation?

If I remember correctly: he's mentioned just a little; I thiiiink Nels is mentioned during the Invisible Inc portion as he was having trouble nailing down a solid vertical slice (something which Klei *absolutely needed* in order to secure investment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom