• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

What the bear attack? The thing that has been shown in the tv spots and trailers.

Plus it's a thing the whole rest of the film is based on. It's no spoiler. I've seen the film, knew it was going to happen and that is not going to influence your enjoyment of the film what so ever. The Revenant is not a film about plot points.

the bear attack was all over the news because there was a day or two where headlines were LEO GETS RAPED BY A BEAR and the studio had to come out and state that , no, leo's character does not actually get raped by a bear in the movie

you wouldve had to have been under a rock if you knew about the revenant and didnt know about the fucking bear attack which has been all over the place including the trailers and such. cmon, knock it the fuck off with the spoilerzzzzzzz nonsense

brad is a spoiler master, sure (thanks for the unneeded details regarding the ending of Broken Age act 1 brad!), but this is silly

Also (paraphrasing)

"i loved playing Xcom on the couch, Something retro about having to play xcom 2 it on a mouse and keyboard!"

-ignores that the steam controller is perfect for this exact situation

I don#t think anyone of them is a big fan of that controller though.
Plus nobody in that conversation owns one.
I think you're right, but none of them gave it much of a shot. By the sound of it, nobody even tried a custom configuration, assuming instead that it would magically work perfectly using the default.
I seem to remember Vinny said he looked at that stuff and nobody else has really talked about it enough to know if they looked at that stuff either way. I also doubt it would sway them too much because they already have controllers that fit their needs.

I don#t think anyone of them is a big fan of that controller though.

the controller isn't just a pick up and play thing. It requires you put a little time getting over the learning curve and getting used to checking out the many configurations and options the controller has.

If some on the crew were willing to invest time on the xbox elite controller, the steam controller is like on a whole 'nother level of customization and usefulness.

I think you're right, but none of them gave it much of a shot. By the sound of it, nobody even tried a custom configuration, assuming instead that it would magically work perfectly using the default.

and the myth that every game would require a ton of time fiddling with the steam controller isn't even close to true. Most games work perfectly well with either the developer's recommended profile or the top rated community profile. Even if you have to check the configs, it's like a minute or two to adjust it to your liking. And even then, how is that level of customization a problem? I'd rather have the option than not have it at all, which is pretty much the experience with any other controller

Plus nobody in that conversation owns one.
Im pretty sure drew has one or has at least messed around with one but i didn't get the sense he gave it a lot of time.

The controller isn't perfect but it's pretty much the only controller i've rolled with for a couple months now with just one game being the exception. Between the extra buttons, terrific options, that it works with non-controller games, and +80 hour battery life, the thing is a gem

I seem to remember Vinny said he looked at that stuff and nobody else has really talked about it enough to know if they looked at that stuff either way. I also doubt it would sway them too much because they already have controllers that fit their needs.

except evidently the urge to play xcom2 on the couch - which this allows - then yeah, their controllers fit their needs

I didn't get the impression that they were aware of the vast majority of the hardware and software features of the controller, but you're right that they didn't talk about it much.
the controller isn't just a pick up and play thing. It requires you put a little time getting over the learning curve and getting used to checking out the many configurations and options the controller has.

If some on the crew were willing to invest time on the xbox elite controller, the steam controller is like on a whole 'nother level of customization and usefulness.

and the myth that every game would require a ton of time fiddling with the steam controller isn't even close to true. Most games work perfectly will with either the developer's recommended profile or the top rated community profile. Even if you have to check the configs, it's like a minute or two to adjust it to your liking. And even then, how is that level of customization a problem? I'd rather have the option than not have it at all, which is pretty much the experience with any other controller

I agree with all these points. The controller definitely feels weird at first, but after getting used to it the Steam controller is just superior to a traditional dual analog controller in every way, across every genre. I don't think I could ever go back.

What's this about spoilers for The Revenant? Are people upset? Has no one actually read anything on Hugh Glass? I was spoiled on the movie before the movie was even announced 🙀

There wasn't any actual spoilers in the Bombcast. Not sure what people are talking about.

Also, I really want to play Mechwarrior Online now.

BearPawB

Banned
What's this about spoilers for The Revenant? Are people upset? Has no one actually read anything on Hugh Glass? I was spoiled on the movie before the movie was even announced 🙀

There wasn't any actual spoilers in the Bombcast. Not sure what people are talking about.

To be fair "people" seems to be one person

tuxfool

Banned
I agree with all these points. The controller definitely feels weird at first, but after getting used to it the Steam controller is just superior to a traditional dual analog controller in every way, across every genre. I don't think I could ever go back.

I'm really interested in the controller, unfortunately I'm not interested in Big Picture.

Nero18

What happened to that multiplayer F2P mech game a few years back that people were talking about? Want to say it was announced at E3 or something.

What happened to that multiplayer F2P mech game a few years back that people were talking about? Want to say it was announced at E3 or something.

Hawken? they tried to make money without being on steam but they ended up putting the game on steam after a while. Last i heard, it kinda fell off and the devs have struggled a bit at keeping it alive

edit: dammit messiah

edit numbero dos: seems the last update was last november so it's still a thing apparently

game seems to average ~275 players a day so it's just hanging in there

Spoiler culture is getting out of control. People are too touchy.

I think that if most things that are 'spoiled' impacts on your enjoyment of entertainment then you are missing the point of it in the first place.

I actually like knowing what happens sometimes, it allows me to absorb the experience much better.

Obviously there are exceptions and you shouldn't be a dick and intentionally spoil something but people go way overboard and it's just attention seeking.

I'm really interested in the controller, unfortunately I'm not interested in Big Picture.

Requiring BPM to be running is such a silly decision. There's no good reason, and I hope they change it. The very nature of the controller means the regular Steam overlay would be perfectly navigable.

Requiring BPM to be running is such a silly decision. There's no good reason, and I hope they change it. The very nature of the controller means the regular Steam overlay would be perfectly navigable.

i believe a lot of the stuff was built around BPM, like the configuration screen and the onscreen keyboard and such, the idea likely being to make that stuff work from a couch and at a distance away from the screen.

BPM hasn't really been the crashy piece of shit it used to be a while back. i think i can only account for one crash related to BPM in the last year. But i suppose people still have their issues with it and they're entitled to dislike it.

Xater

You have to be the kind of person who wants to do that though. I personally really don't. The very idea that I have to fuck around with the config to make shit work for me sounds terrible.

You have to be the kind of person who wants to do that though. I personally really don't. The very idea that I have to fuck around with the config to make shit work for me sounds terrible.

I understand that. I'm willing to put in a modicum of effort to get a better experience, though, which is why I game on PC in the first place.

i believe a lot of the stuff was built around BPM, like the configuration screen and the onscreen keyboard and such, the idea likely being to make that stuff work from a couch and at a distance away from the screen.

BPM hasn't really been the crashy piece of shit it used to be a while back. i think i can only account for one crash related to BPM in the last year. But i suppose people still have their issues with it and they're entitled to dislike it.

BPM has been good for me too, but it still shouldn't be necessary to run game configs.

After 20 hours of Fallout 4 I'm having the epiphany that none of the loot and mods I'm investing my time into getting actually matters because everything just scales to my level anyway, so if the loot doesn't matter and the settlements don't matter and the quest design is bad and the writing is bad then goddammit Todd Howard how come I can't stop playing your dumb video game?

I want to get off Mr Todd's wild ride

it might sound bad for a controller ready game, sure, but what if, for example, you want to check out FEAR on your big tv? Or Civ? How about Gemini Rue?

It solves that issue and, again, the configuration stuff is like a nonissue when the other option is "i can't comfortably play this in my living room or bed room."

The steam controller handles all tasks rather well and i understand that it's not for some folks. But there are those that want more options, there are those that want to use a controller for every game, and there are those who want even more options for the controller games like extra buttons and gyro shooting.

It's a grower, not a shower, really

BPM has been good for me too, but it still shouldn't be necessary to run game configs.

yeah, i'm not really bothered by it but of course i would love for it to work unshackled from BPM. But on that same note, BPM isn't terrible anymore really so maybe some folks who had bad experiences with it before should know that, too

Xater

Plug and Play vs Tinkering

Exactly. If you want to be the guy who makes this work for you it might be great. It's just not for me. That's why if I play Civ I'd rather just play it with mouse and keyboard which I know just works.

omgkitty

After 20 hours of Fallout 4 I'm having the epiphany that none of the loot and mods I'm investing my time into getting actually matters because everything just scales to my level anyway, so if the loot doesn't matter and the settlements don't matter and the quest design is bad and the writing is bad then goddammit Todd Howard how come I can't stop playing your dumb video game?

Yeah I put close to 70 hours into it and enjoyed it, but overall it just left me feeling kinda cold.

BearPawB

Banned

As far as I know you're wrong and enemies in fallout 4 do not scale
who wants to be a MechWarrior with me
I've wanted to check it out

they do, but not all of them. as a goof, I decided to make myself level 250 and suddenly I was fighting enemies of roughly the same level.

holy shit you should see how many bullets they can absorb at that level, every super mutant is a Destiny boss

daveo42

Banned

The only mods worth getting are deep pockets and silencers, at least on the agility side of things. I feel kind of the same way about everything else in the game. I think the only good thing I've come away with so far is the straight exploration portions. There have been a small amount of good side stories so far, but they've been few and far between.

Weapons and armor definitely do scale based on level.

they do, but not all of them. as a goof, I decided to make myself level 250 and suddenly I was fighting enemies of roughly the same level.

holy shit you should see how many bullets they can absorb at that level, every super mutant is a Destiny boss

Didn't it come out that they used essentially the same system used in Skyrim?

Xater

Do they also all of a sudden become interesting to fight? ;)

Nero18

Hawken? they tried to make money without being on steam but they ended up putting the game on steam after a while. Last i heard, it kinda fell off and the devs have struggled a bit at keeping it alive

edit: dammit messiah

edit numbero dos: seems the last update was last november so it's still a thing apparently

game seems to average ~275 players a day so it's just hanging in there

Bummer. Remember the game getting a lot of buzz back when it first was shown. Would be curious to see if a game like that could find any success on the consoles.

Good to see nothing's changed in Bethesda's design philosophy, I guess I'll just skip this one after how godawful Skyrim was.

If you're playing games on the PC, then you're already fucking around with the config to make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom