• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Dan on the Bombcast: "I don't understand how people break their phones."

20 seconds later: "I broke my phone once."

I think he meant how quickly and easily people tend to break their new phones and how many times that comes from dropping them. Sometimes, in both Dan's and Jeff's case, were from them being pinned against other objects.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I usually hate QL EX's but dat XCOM 2 man...

man...

wPZVWgD.jpg

Dragons Dogma in a couple of days, 2 weeks later XCOM 2 (with Rise of the TR sandwitched in between if I end up getting it), 2 weeks after that Street Fighter 5? Crazy few weeks ahead for me

Looking through Gamespot's latest videos I see them showcasing the people behind the content a lot more than they used to. Danny's "Help us build The Lobby" was basically a behind the scenes short video. Mary's weekend news update was funny, but it helped show watchers around their offices - which they don't usually get to see on the site. Now I see Jess McDonald has a QnA video up for the latest episode of The Gist.

I get the feeling Gamespot is trying to be more personable, showing actual people exist behind the content, and they are not just robots regurgitating news. I have no idea if this is a new approach for 2016 from them but to me it looks like they are trying something a bit different. If it is a new approach i hope it works for them as I appreciate that style content much more than more than the dry, interchangable, talking heads approach many places fall into.

Looking through Gamespot's latest videos I see them showcasing the people behind the content a lot more than they used to. Danny's "Help us build The Lobby" was basically a behind the scenes short video. Mary's weekend news update was funny, but it helped show watchers around their offices - which they don't usually get to see on the site. Now I see Jess McDonald has a QnA video up for the latest episode of The Gist.

I get the feeling Gamespot is trying to be more personable, showing actual people exist behind the content, and they are not just robots regurgitating news. I have no idea if this is a new approach for 2016 from them but to me it looks like they are trying something a bit different. If it is a new approach i hope it works for them as I appreciate that style content much more than more than the dry, interchangable, talking heads approach many places fall into.

Their video team seems like a distinct entity from everything else on that site right now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they also don't have a studio right now.
This CS:GO video with Steve Gaynor is supposed to show off a new direction for The Lobby, though, if I understood Danny correctly.

If you're playing games on the PC, then you're already fucking around with the config to make things work.
Those days are pretty much over.

Soriku

I got to the Renho Arc in Gintama and fell off hard. Don't know what it is about that one, but I just don't care for it at all. I can usually dig the insanity that the show goes for, but there's just nothing compelling about it.

The Renho arc is really bad for some reason. Not exciting or funny...just boring. It's probably the worst arc made worse by being lengthy.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I at least have to fiddle with the resolution, which seems about as complex as picking a top-rated controller layout.

I'd agree with you if the top rated controller layout were automatically selected, or if the game prompted you for it. As it is, you need to go into big picture mode then into the settings and select it. It's an unnecessary hassle and the end result isn't a terrific controller anyway. If they took out the bullshit big picture mode requirement I'd be closer to your opinion but as it is the controller isn't worth the annoyances.

I'd agree with you if the top rated controller layout were automatically selected, or if the game prompted you for it. As it is, you need to go into big picture mode then into the settings and select it. It's an unnecessary hassle and the end result isn't a terrific controller anyway. If they took out the bullshit big picture mode requirement I'd be closer to your opinion but as it is the controller isn't worth the annoyances.

Didn't know about the big picture requirement. That is stupid. Fucking valve

Is the video broken for anyone else? I get a weird error code and then it doesn't play.

edit: also I'm in this apparently I wanna watch :(

Although it doesn't outright say it in the error, you need Flash to watch the video. It'll get uploaded to YouTube eventually.

youre likely an easily frustrated person if these are the things that irk you about the steam controller, which brings up the question as to how you could even really enjoy PC gaming when almost every game I play requires some sort of tweaking, be it resolutions to effects to even having to look into steam guides just to get things to output properly.

If having to press A to select a profile is getting under your skin then I'll be damned, that's a rough life you're leading.

It's like a minute every new game, but jesus christ that minute is infuriating. I never use big picture mode in the first place and often I'm trying to use the controller for games that I play in a window anyway. I just hate the mouse and keyboard as a game input device but the Steam controller assumes I must be on a couch 8 feet from a TV. The option doesn't even exist to adjust settings until you're in big picture. And even then the interface works like shit with the controller! It's just better to use mouse/keyboard to make all of those settings changes. So if you don't want to use big picture and want to customize your controls at all, you need to start up big picture, start up the game, make your changes, exit the game, exit big picture, and start the game again.

that's such a specific scenario but okay, ill grant you that.

I have my PC hooked up directly to my TV and Steam autostarts into BPM mode so it's not really an issue for me, i just play it like it's a console.

As for not fully working outside of steam and not being able to access configurations and stuff. sure, I hear ya. It should work without needing BPM, i agree

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Didn't know about the big picture requirement. That is stupid. Fucking valve

It's like a minute every new game, but jesus christ that minute is infuriating. I never use big picture mode in the first place and often I'm trying to use the controller for games that I play in a window anyway. I just hate the mouse and keyboard as a game input device but the Steam controller assumes I must be on a couch 8 feet from a TV. The option doesn't even exist to adjust settings until you're in big picture. And even then the interface works like shit with the controller! It's just better to use mouse/keyboard to make all of those settings changes. So if you don't want to use big picture and want to customize your controls at all, you need to start up big picture, start up the game, make your changes, exit the game, exit big picture, and start the game again.

youre likely an easily frustrated person if these are the things that irk you about the steam controller, which brings up the question as to how you could even really enjoy PC gaming when almost every game I play requires some sort of tweaking, be it resolutions to effects to even having to look into steam guides just to get things to output properly.

If having to press A to select a profile is getting under your skin then I'll be damned, that's a rough life you're leading.

I'm easily frustrated when there's no good reason for stupid decisions. If I could just press A in the normal Steam desktop client it would be an entirely understandable inconvenience. It would be ideal to have it in the game itself like you can do with an Xbox controller, but that's just not how it works. But it's completely indefensible that you can't access the controller settings without going into big picture.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm playing Luftrausers for the first time.

Damn these devolver digital fellows know how to make good games.

Vlambeer made it, which is a 2-man team. Devolver is an indie publisher.

Although it doesn't outright say it in the error, you need Flash to watch the video. It'll get uploaded to YouTube eventually.

I watched it in *gasp* IE. Pretty cool I got the final kill in the video.

Zaph

Yup, hopefully their month 'downtime' helps them find their own video identity - rather than just Danny fronting their long-form stuff while everyone else works on the short VO's which brings in views. It's funny, so far these podcast-room versions of The Lobby have been better than the regular version.

I think their biggest hurdle will be the SF office just not having that many editors who are good on-camera. It's a shame Jess and Lucy are in different corners of the world.

I like how in depth Austin gets with his Quick Looks, you can tell the dude really puts in time with the games. I might need to try out MechWarrior Online now.

I like how in depth Austin gets with his Quick Looks, you can tell the dude really puts in time with the games. I might need to try out MechWarrior Online now.
Didn't realise there was a mechwarrior QL up, I'm interested to see it because I remember Drew's UPF segment being kind of rough.
Yeah East in general seems to do a lot more research prior to a quicklook, for better or worse.
I really like it but I can see that some people might be put off if you don't care about the game at all and just want to see them goof.

so literally everybody but Brad and Jeff.

well, Ryan was also really bad with quick look prep. Many a time, they would just pop the game disc in for the first time when doing a QL back in those days.

that lead to complaints that the first 10 minutes of any Ryan quick look was him navigating menus, which was both true and rather amusing

Xater

Seriously I am feeling the itch to spend some time in the mech lab with a Mad Cat...

All this instant gratification garbage in video games. Those were the days when I spent all this time tinkering with a mech only to get blown up because I didn't pay enough attention to the heat management.

AcridMeat

Banned
That was an excellent Kerbal episode. The orbit manipulation and then realization was hilarious. They're getting better.

Also I finally watched Jeff's segment on the Kinda Funny/Gamespot stage doing Hot Pepper Reviews. Poor guy never eats spicy food and then does that during E3 haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom