• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're all on the same page about a late game Last of Us sequence, I sneaked past it rather than engaging in combat. I imagine the alternative is a pain in the ass.

I thought the combat had a really cool sense of weight to it. I'm not sure how to describe it but shooting a gun in that game felt really impactful.

The clicker encounters got real repetitive toward the end, but I always liked the human enemy fights

About to start The Last of Us (remastered), what difficulty should I play on? I want the game to be tense but not too frustrating. Note: I'm kinda compulsive about scrounging every last square inch for supplies and not using consumables "until I really need them", which ends up being never.

What mode will I probably enjoy the most? This is your free pass to use "you're playing it wrong!" and "the way it's meant to be played."

Not sure, but there is one thing I want to advise you on. This is not a spoiler, but throughout the game, you can find pills by searching rooms, desks, bodies, or even breaking open "shiv" doors, which requires you to sacrifice a shiv to find supplies. These pills are used to upgrade skills (when I see people play it on YouTube, so many of them ignore this completely). In the beginning of the game, you may find shooting a bit hard because of weapon sway. That is not a fault of the game, as some assume. You can actually all but eliminate weapon sway by upgrading your weapon sway skill. Remember Pills=Skills!

What late game sequence are people talking about?
The blizzard encounter before David or the Infected area in the tunnel shortly before the hospital?

I thought the combat had a really cool sense of weight to it. I'm not sure how to describe it but shooting a gun in that game felt really impactful.

The clicker encounters got real repetitive toward the end, but I always liked the human enemy fights

It's a real improvement over the combat in Uncharted where you just feel like you're shooting pellets at a bunch of sponges.

i saw this in another thread and laughed when i recognized the shirt

nNJOMBD.png

kingocfs

Just now listening to the Bombcast. I kind of want to see one of them play Mission Impossible 64. I remember liking that POS as a kid.

Just now listening to the Bombcast. I kind of want to see one of them play Mission Impossible 64. I remember liking that POS as a kid.

It was the best because of that one part where you hang down and try to get around the lasers, like in the movie. There may be something more to that game than I remember but that was the only thing that mattered.

It did seem so cool to me at that age. I'm kind of ok with revisiting it and destroying my childhood memories of the game, though.

That's true for everything except MegaMan 64 which has aged like a fine wine.
Just let me have this one please
I bet MM Legends is still lots of fun to play. The main issues with 64 games are with the frame rate and blurry textures. People seem to love Turok now even though it played terribly on the N64 even when it first came out. The Zelda remakes for 3DS look and play great. I think lots of 64 titles could benefit from a good port. Imagine if all we had of Pac-Man was the Atari version.

I loooved the N64 Mission Impossible game. I hope they play it on UPF or something, I'll bet it has aged terribly.

I rented that from Blockbuster once. I do own the GameBoy Color version (it was very similar in game play to the MSX Metal Gear games). Because the GBC had an infrared thing at the top, Mission: Impossible had this cool (well, for it's target audience) "spy" gadget mode that allowed you to secretly turn on and off TV's/radios/CD players that had IR receivers. It also allowed (via a link cable) to send secret messages to other people with the game. You could also connect it to a GameBoy Printer (or maybe any printer- I never tried this mode) to print messages. Then finally, in that mode, you could store contact information for people (including phone numbers, addresses), with the ability to use a calculator.

I bet MM Legends is still lots of fun to play. The main issues with 64 games are with the frame rate and blurry textures. People seem to love Turok now even though it played terribly on the N64 even when it first came out. The Zelda remakes for 3DS look and play great. I think lots of 64 titles could benefit from a good port. Imagine if all we had of Pac-Man was the Atari version.
I've long wanted to replay MM64/Legends. I do remember that enemies only ever shot where you are, though, so as long as you were moving you basically never got hit.

I rented that from Blockbuster once. I do own the GameBoy Color version (it was very similar in game play to the MSX Metal Gear games). Because the GBC had an infrared thing at the top, Mission: Impossible had this cool (well, for it's target audience) "spy" gadget mode that allowed you to secretly turn on and off TV's/radios/CD players that had IR receivers. It also allowed (via a link cable) to send secret messages to other people with the game. You could also connect it to a GameBoy Printer (or maybe any printer- I never tried this mode) to print messages. Then finally, in that mode, you could store contact information for people (including phone numbers, addresses), with the ability to use a calculator.
I was super into spy shit as a kid, I can't believe I didn't know about that! I would have been into that for sure.
I think you're about my brother's age; I think part of the reason I ended up playing that game that much was because he would get stuck and ask for my help
It was a weirdly complex game. Mechanics were obfuscated in such a way that you felt super smart after completing the nonsensical levels.

Most N64 games have aged terribly.

In terms of N64 games that I can still go back to I would say there's Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon Snap, Ocarina of Time, and Super Smash Bros.

That's pretty much all I got though. Paper Mario might still be good. I never really played that one.

Myggen

In terms of N64 games that I can still go back to I would say there's Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon Snap, Ocarina of Time, and Super Smash Bros.

That's pretty much all I got though. Paper Mario might still be good. I never really played that one.

Can you go back to Banjo on the N64? Because the performance is fucking rough.

justjim89

This is off topic, but for Dark Souls folks: Are the Four Kings supposed to be an easier boss? Because I just one-shotted them in my first ever time fighting them, and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

That art is amazing!

This is off topic, but for Dark Souls folks: Are the Four Kings supposed to be an easier boss? Because I just one-shotted them in my first ever time fighting them, and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

In like NG+++ they're pretty hard apparently, but if you just run up to them and smack them in the face they're super easy. They have low HP and they do little damage if you're in their face since they can't hit you with their sword.

I've long wanted to replay MM64/Legends. I do remember that enemies only ever shot where you are, though, so as long as you were moving you basically never got hit.

I was super into spy shit as a kid, I can't believe I didn't know about that! I would have been into that for sure.

It was a weirdly complex game. Mechanics were obfuscated in such a way that you felt super smart after completing the nonsensical levels.

Here is someone showing off those features on YouTube: https://youtu.be/EQR1pvcZBcU?t=3m25s

Edit- Wow. I didn't realize it had a pretty rocking soundtrack! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhm2HVNS1aG66oh3y4Grz1yq8ksyjuNvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom