• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Because that way, you end up only spending at most about $20 a year on the lottery instead of hundreds.

As it is, I consider any money spent on lottery tickets as entertainment expenses, as it's a ticket to freely daydream about what I'd do if I won. It's much more enjoyable to daydream when the amounts get ridiculous.

Since even the smallest lottery win would change the lives of a lot of players - makes more sense to spread that $20 over multiple draws over the year. This is less for you and more for some of the people posting in that OT thread who clearly can't even afford to waste the amounts they are spending on this one big draw.

I personally don't buy lottery tickets but my parents are one of those dumb people that the organisers love - the ones that picked numbers significant to them at the start and are now locked in to playing every week. There are more expensive vices I guess.

kvk1

my older sister called me a few days ago to tell me I should buy a ticket

i told her i'd get some Pho instead

i got Pho

Since even the smallest lottery win would change the lives of a lot of players

For like two minutes. If they aren't smart--and most lottery winners aren't--they're broke pretty damn quickly after winning because they really don't know what to actually do with their winnings. They make dumb investments or just give money to friends and family who didn't give a crap about them before winning.

The reality is that the lottery is a shitty thing all around.

mintyice

reposting since my link 404'd

bVfrD8K.gif

popo

For like two minutes. If they aren't smart--and most lottery winners aren't--they're broke pretty damn quickly after winning because they really don't know what to actually do with their winnings. They make dumb investments or just give money to friends and family who didn't give a crap about them before winning.

The reality is that the lottery is a shitty thing all around.

Globally there must be tens of thousands of lottery winners who won over $500k. The idiots who blow it all, the ones that make the press, must be a very small percentage of total winners. I bet there is also a correlation between size of win and propensity to blow through it.

Not a fan of lotteries but at least some of the money goes to good causes - depending on the specific lottery I guess - which is more than say vegas gives back.

Patryn

Since even the smallest lottery win would change the lives of a lot of players - makes more sense to spread that $20 over multiple draws over the year. This is less for you and more for some of the people posting in that OT thread who clearly can't even afford to waste the amounts they are spending on this one big draw.

I personally don't buy lottery tickets but my parents are one of those dumb people that the organisers love - the ones that picked numbers significant to them at the start and are now locked in to playing every week. There are more expensive vices I guess.

But the point isn't winning. You go into it knowing that you're going to lose.

The point is that the large jackpots let you dream big. That's what you're spending money on. It's more fun to dream about winning $1.5 billion than like $30 million.

The first rule of gambling is walking into it knowing that you're throwing the money away and you're not going to win.

I've basically never won anything in my life as far as bets or sweepstakes go so I can't even muster the false sense of hope required to buy into lottery tickets

e: one time as a kid I even saved up proofs of purchase to get a baseball cap and not even that showed up

The point is that the large jackpots let you dream big. That's what you're spending money on. It's more fun to dream about winning $1.5 billion than like $30 million.

The first rule of gambling is walking into it knowing that you're throwing the money away and you're not going to win.

You must not know many lottery players if you think that's what they believe.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I got a taco with the money I could have spent on a lottery ticket. It was a great taco. I am much happier than if I dreamed about having money that I won't ever have. It was a REALLY good taco.

the only time i've ever been affected by the death of someone that i don't know in real life is ryan. that shit had me bummed out for months.

What a way to start 2016. :/ and from what? fucking cancer again, RIP Alan. Yeah, Ryan bumped me out to the point not visiting the site anymore for a long ass while. I came back to new faces haha Jason and Dan.

Brashnir

As someone who doesn't play the lottery, the lottery is the best.

It gets people to voluntarily pay extra taxes so I don't have to.

popo

All valid points but you assume that most of the people, like you, are realistic about their chances.

Whatever. Wrong place for this.

Santar

Haha, I have. But I guess I could just delete the patches (and if need be the whole game client and reinstall), since I haven't started playing yet. Are there any substantive benefits from the patches to consider?
I don't think the patches do anything negative as long as you hit decline on the startup screen. Pretty sure you don't need to disconnect the console from the net either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom