• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Tumblr Savior extension to blacklist any terms related to games I'm currently playing (along with a few choice phrases such as "anime," "Steven Universe," and "Undertale"). Doesn't work on mobile though.

I suggest using New Xkit if you're using Chrome (might be on firefox? I remember they were having signing issues a few months back), that has a more diverse extension store of its own that allows for some great tuning of Tumblr to make it usable.

Xater

I'm with Jeff, Ghost int he Shell is super overrated. It has good animation and design and that#s pretty much it. From the big 90s anime movies Akira is probably the only one that actually holds up.

blocks undertale but not undertail

i'm on to you incandeza

fBljhoi.gif

I'm with Jeff, Ghost int he Shell is super overrated. It has good animation and design and that#s pretty much it. From the big 90s anime movies Akira is probably the only one that actually holds up.

that's because Akira's from the 80s and 80s anime is still good

Jintor

I use the Tumblr Savior extension to blacklist any terms related to games I'm currently playing (along with a few choice phrases such as "anime," "Steven Universe," and "Undertale"). Doesn't work on mobile though.

It was a gifset with no tags. Wouldn't have worked. I already use tumble saviour tho

Jintor

Akira has like zero conherence in terms of pacing and indeed overall plot though. It is riotously cool though

Xater

that's because Akira's from the 80s and 80s anime is still good

Fuck you are right. Akira is actually way older. I just remember everyone int he 90s flipping out over anime and mentioning Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll in the same breath.

I bet Ninja Scroll is even worse than Ghost in the Shell. I#d have to re-watch it I barely remember it.

I bet Ninja Scroll is even worse than Ghost in the Shell. I#d have to re-watch it I barely remember it.

nah it holds up alright. but probably because the director is one of the biggest names in 80's anime too. (Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Running Man, etc)

Akira's animation is nice but I really feel like that's all there is to that anime. Is that nuts?

the manga is super dense and I think as an adaptation they did the absolute best they could to cram as much in as possible. I think it mostly works, even though they stick a few confusing things in with no real context

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Unless that game pulls a Fez, that should be most of what it is. I have followed the game relatively closely and no preview ever mentioned different types of gameplay. I would enjoy a surprise, though.

omgkitty

Unless that game pulls a Fez, that should be most of what it is. I have followed the game relatively closely and no preview ever mentioned different types of gameplay. I would enjoy a surprise, though.

I thought Austin had said that him and Jeff Bakalar saw the game recently and that there was definitely stuff that had not been talked about yet. I definitely feel like this game has some Fez-esque stuff in it (at least I hope it does). If it's just those line puzzles, that's super disappointing for how long it's taken and for how long it supposedly is.

Xater

Jeff bringing out the Light Heavyweight comparison when talking about WWE. So perfect, because that's what Wrestling Observer harps on about as well. Who cares about big beefy dudes if they can't deliver cool action?

This gem:

You guys might think its a slow or boring movie but it's not as slow as even older movies. Watch any Akira Kurosawa movies like the 7 samurai or any old black and white films. There are movies that make those montages seem even longer since there are scenes in 7 samurai that goes slower than the pace of a snail. But the way Ghost in the Shell dealt with those montages are also very artistic.

daveo42

Banned
The GitS movies are all very well done and are supposed to be maybe a bit slower and heady than other action films. Also very surprised that someone finds 7 Samurai boring.

I feel like i watched ghost in the shell years ago and understood none of it.

Basically a conversation about humanity and the human soul when you become more robot than flesh.

Xater

Does 7 samurai have a robot that can turn into a pistol?

Of course it doesn't because its boring.

Neither does modern Transformers! Check mate my friend, check mate!

Anyone that starts bashing "old movies" or "black and white" immediately lose all respect from me and their opinion is immediately invalidated. People are dumb.

Exactly, like a well done b&w flick can be so effective even today. The work you can do with contrasts is just so amazing. Like when you look back at some of the Universal Horror flicks the look is just too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom