• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I just really wanna see Brad dive head first into wrestling. You can tell there's a basic level of interest there. He's already peering over the edge looking in going "Hmmmm..." Somebody just needs to push him in.

Or start him with baby steps. Brad was talking about falling down a Netflix documentary rabbit hole? Plenty of good documentaries on WWE Network.

any documentary is better than a wwe documentary... jesus

Zaph

been noticing how often Jeff says "...so I was talking to Austin..." and it's kinda bugging me we don't get to hear it. Like obviously lots of shit happens off camera, but those two need to get on something together pronto

justjim89

WWE are pretty good at behind the scenes stuff.

Thie "WWE 24" series they are doing in recent months (following talent before and after a big event) is some great stuff.

Breaking Ground was really good, too. Even if they were just kinda taking the ESPN NXT thing and making a series out of it.

Brads reaction to Jeff talking Wrestling vs Dan talking about it is amazing.

Well, Jeff actually talks to Brad seriously about it as opposed to Dan, who does it almost exclusively to annoy him. There's always a veneer of malice when Dan talks about it to Brad.

Doesn't hurt that Brad outright asked about it as opposed to him being fed it against his will.

Strax

Breaking Ground was really good, too. Even if they were just kinda taking the ESPN NXT thing and making a series out of it.

Breaking Ground is straaaaaaaaange show.

William Shatner as a narrator talking about Baron Corbin (and others) in matches and trying to keep it suspenseful even tho it happened 2 months ago. And then says stuff like "Baron tried his best and did well but its wasn't enough to win" while Baron is outside catching a breath. Like he didn't know how the match would end.

Really strange.

justjim89

Breaking Ground is straaaaaaaaange show.

William Shatner as a narrator talking about Baron Corbin (and others) in matches and trying to keep it suspenseful even tho it happened 2 months ago. And then says stuff like "Baron tried his best and did well but its wasn't enough to win" while Baron is outside catching a breath. Like he didn't know how the match would end.

Really strange.

Yeah, it's odd because they didn't really maintain kayfabe for any other aspect of it. It was a really interesting look behind the curtain, but it was like the one thing WWE wanted to keep sacred, the planning and execution of the match, would have been the most compelling thing to see from the performer's perspective. Like, I wanna see the moment where Sasha and Bayley are planning out their Brooklyn match and one says "Hey, what about a reverse Frankensteiner off the top rope?"

Yeah, it's odd because they didn't really maintain kayfabe for any other aspect of it. It was a really interesting look behind the curtain, but it was like the one thing WWE wanted to keep sacred, the planning and execution of the match, would have been the most compelling thing to see from the performer's perspective. Like, I wanna see the moment where Sasha and Bayley are planning out their Brooklyn match and one says "Hey, what about a reverse Frankensteiner off the top rope?"

I really enjoy Breaking Ground, but this is definitely my feeling on the show as well. Has WWE ever produced anything that's full-on shoot like that? I don't remember much of Beyond the Mat

justjim89

I really enjoy Breaking Ground, but this is definitely my feeling on the show as well. Has WWE ever produced anything that's full-on shoot like that? I don't remember much of Beyond the Mat

CM Punk's documentary was really open and honest, but that's probably because he really was hands-on with it.

I don't think Beyond the Mat was a WWE production.

Zaph

imma take the hit and find out

wish me luck

...several hours later

7MBfS3g.png

Strax

They kinda did that in the last ep with Triple H coming to NXT and discussing a new finisher with Apollo Crews.

daveo42

Banned
That is ultimately neither of those things because it doesn't choose to either engage with its themes or leave them deliberately ambiguous. But basically yeah

It is a very beautiful anime, but I agree that the conversation I listed isn't that good of one, at least in the context of the original anime film and that keeps it from being a so called masterpiece in relation to other films. SAC is a bit better at actually covering that conversation, but it's density can be a fairly big barrier to pulling it out.

TraBuch

Banned
Oh please let this anime be about a dude getting trapped in an MMO who also ends up being gaming Jesus, because we so need more of those.
I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but I occasionally browse the Kindle store looking for interesting lesser-known new releases and I've noticed that there have been A LOT of self-published ebooks on Amazon in this genre lately. Like, a lot lot. I believe they're called...LitRPGs?

Guess Who

Banned
been noticing how often Jeff says "...so I was talking to Austin..." and it's kinda bugging me we don't get to hear it. Like obviously lots of shit happens off camera, but those two need to get on something together pronto

jeff + austin content would be too good for this world, too pure

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but I occasionally browse the Kindle store looking for interesting lesser-known new releases and I've noticed that there have been A LOT of self-published ebooks on Amazon in this genre lately. Like, a lot lot. I believe they're called...LitRPGs?

Rpgs where you get lit?

Boy, this GitS game is really damn soulless. How can you take something with so much style and make this?

It gets even worse because the back half of the QL devolves into wrestling talk.

I'm curious if the reason Jeff took such a shine to it--IIRC this is the second time he's highlighted it on-site--was the vague hope of more Syndicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom