• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
fBljhoi.gif

still laughing over the other version of this gif.

That Seven Samurai talk.

hYMGa4p.gif

I mean don't get me wrong Ghost in the Shell and in essence, Akira, are stunning and amazing in terms of what they did for animation especially since it started to spread out to other places instead of being in Japan only and gave us a look that animation is not only a medium used to tell kids stories but adult stories as well.

Comparing it though with a 1954 masterpiece that has most of its effects still hold up today? Man, that's a tough fucking battle.

Zaph

Exactly, like a well done b&w flick can be so effective even today. The work you can do with contrasts is just so amazing. Like when you look back at some of the Universal Horror flicks the look is just too good.

The nuance those cameras could pick up is incredible when you consider the technology they had at the time. Just imagine trying to light a scene with no reference monitor. Watched Stray Dog on bluray recently and it's still as impressive as ever.

Xater

The nuance those cameras could pick up is incredible when you consider the technology they had at the time. Just imagine trying to light a scene with no reference monitor. Watched Stray Dog on bluray recently and it's still as impressive as ever.

Yup, I am going through the Universal stuff on Blu-ray right now. It's so good. The effects in The Invisible Man were spectacular. Like I can not believe that was done in the 30s.

Am I crazy or is this Ghost in the Shell QL a re upload? I feel like I've watched it before.

Jeff had it on his holiday solo stream.

Xater

PS: Guys watch the newest Jimquisition because it's quite eye opening again. Also Jim proofed himself to be a prophet again.

Holy shit so much wrasslin talk in this Ghost in the Shell QL.

Also here is a video of AJ Styles's finishing move being botched and nearly killing a guy if anyone was curious and not up on wrestling. Not graphic or anything but you can tell nothing good will come from you landing like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7cZrdRXyg

Similar mistakes happened to a few people in a short amount of time over the last year or two. Some a lot worse looking.

And here is a gif of what is meant to happen.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brads reaction to Jeff talking Wrestling vs Dan talking about it is amazing.

Before Dan arrived, every time wrestling came up on the podcast Brad seemed closer to wanting to give it a try. Then Dan got hired and Brad realized "There but for WWE go I" and had to keep away from the one thing that could lead to him actually becoming Dan.

Before Dan arrived, every time wrestling came up on the podcast Brad seemed closer to wanting to give it a try. Then Dan got hired and Brad realized "There but for WWE go I" and had to keep away from the one thing that could lead to him actually becoming Dan.

Indeed.
2686582-ok.gif

Seeing that, i dont agree with what Jeff said. Seems like AJ in the botched case didn't "tilt" his upper body forward enough.

You are right. The landing in that video is totally different then whats been happening to dudes recently.

Here is a recent example. His leg blocks the camera of the impact but you get the idea where the guys neck was heading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09uZoCbI-6E

Dude got fucked up from that. He hasn't wrestled since and spent months in hospital in a halo brace.

Dude is much better now (and actually commentated for a recent show for New Japan) but he was lucky not to be paralysed.

Michelle McCool used a Styles Clash (her's was called the FaithBreaker) in WWE for years, and as far as I remember it never once went wrong.

aUW3SGY.gif

I think the fact that WWE has a roster that is tight knit and knows each other's movesets helps for moves like this. Styles using the move at various companies with wrestlers having little foreknowledge of the uniqueness of how to take it beforehand makes it much more dangerous.

RAW tonight will surely end with a cavalcade of humanity in the ring at one time to promote the Royal Rumble this Sunday. Don't miss this once in a lifetime spectacle Giant Bomb Fam.

Brad needs to stop messing around and start his science podcast. Segment 1: Space. Segment 2: Medical anomalies. Segment 3: Fucked up animal stories

AcridMeat

Banned
Watched the Dragon's Dogma QL and immediately bought the game afterwards and played it for most of Sunday. Only reached the first big city, but I am really enjoying it so far.

I am surprised nobody has copied the Pawn system. It is a really great idea.
Bought this just from seeing a couple gifs on Saturday. It's really damn fun. I've forgone Dark Souls 2 in favor of it for now.

The pawn system is really neat but I can't find my friend's pawn while he has mine. I think the devs addressed they're looking into it. I want Squirtle!

As I finally listen to the last GOTY podcast, it is becoming clear to me both this year and in the past that it's not Jeff and his general apprehension to all games not mario maker that is the true enemy (that calmed down a bit on the final day). It's actually Brad. Logic he deems inappropriate for disqualifying one game he will use himself against another.

justjim89

I just really wanna see Brad dive head first into wrestling. You can tell there's a basic level of interest there. He's already peering over the edge looking in going "Hmmmm..." Somebody just needs to push him in.

Or start him with baby steps. Brad was talking about falling down a Netflix documentary rabbit hole? Plenty of good documentaries on WWE Network.

Frith

why do you want them to watch something you have seen?

i want them to watch shit I've never heard of and tell me about it

like 40s videos and grocery hauls i don't need those chukleheads telling me bout culture i need shit from the streets

Zoggy

i thought my vacation ended today and i had to go back to work.

i felt like shit, it really sucks. then i noticed i had 2 more PTO days left from last year i never used up. i called up HR and said if i can use them now and extend my vacation. they said yeah.

2 more days boys.

I randomly watched Ghost in the Shell a few months ago when it showed up on Netflix here and went in with no expectations other then "I have heard of this anime".

That thing was boring but it had style. And there is something about iffy English dubs that I just love. Reminds me of watching old Jackie Chan movies with grandad

kvk1

I just really wanna see Brad dive head first into wrestling. You can tell there's a basic level of interest there. He's already peering over the edge looking in going "Hmmmm..." Somebody just needs to push him in.

Or start him with baby steps. Brad was talking about falling down a Netflix documentary rabbit hole? Plenty of good documentaries on WWE Network.

I want to see none of this happen, but I respect your wishes.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom