• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

RX-78-2 3.0. Shouldn't be too old. Other parts are much more stable than my old RX-78-2 MG. That must have been a 1.0 or 1.5. Top and bottom halves were loose to accommodate the core fighter. Always needed to lift it holding both parts. This 3.0 is very stable apart from the fragile fingers.

The RX-78 3.0 was one of the early MG kits to try and do the fully posable hands. They still only break it out on special occasions, but the Sazabi Ver. Ka, Hyaku-Shiki 2.0, and RX-78 Origin are all much more sturdy in my experience. Even the 3.0 is leagues better than the style of hands something like a lot of the SEED MGs have. I absolutely detest the hands that have 3 fingers molded together, and a freely posable index finger and thumb. Those are not only fragile as all hell, but they frequently hold the weapons poorly. Either give me the modern full posable stuff or a whole bunch of fixed hands in a variety of poses.

I can't tell you how many weapons I've had to use blue tak to stick them to the damn half step posable hands. They are the worst thing.

Haha, yeah I guess. I find that kind of tone deaf marketing endlessly hilarious.

it would probably just have a kind of tragic humor to it if the state of racial relations in this country wasn't such a perpetual embarrassment. crassly commercializing the inspirational words of the only black man to have a notable national holiday in this country is bad and they should feel bad.

tchocky

That m3u doesn't include premium content either. So I'm gonna guess 200 days easily, and even more if you include all the stuff that was never archived on the site.

The playlist does include premium videos you have to select all videos on qlcrew.

KingKong

Dan getting drunk with his dad and random fighting game streams: Giant Bomb front page content
Dan playing through Dark Souls: not Giant Bomb content??

cmon, throw Jeff or Brad in there and make it a feature. not like they've got a lot of other stuff they're putting up instead

Myggen

Dan getting drunk with his dad and random fighting games: Giant Bomb front page content

cmon, throw Jeff or Brad in there and make it a feature. not like they've got a lot of other stuff they're putting up instead

This is something he does in his free time when he's playing through the game. Would be something entirely different if they did it at work. Could maybe throw those solo archives up on the site, but I'm not sure what value another DS playthrough would have on the site. It's on his YT channel for those who want to watch it.

BearPawB

Banned
Dan getting drunk with his dad and random fighting game streams: Giant Bomb front page content

i think they say, "we have plenty coverage of darksouls for those who want it"

yami4ct

What's the best kind of clipper to get for my gunpla addiction?

You can get a cheap set for like $6 or even use nail clippers, but those tend to bite into the plastic and cause stress marks in my experience.

The ones I use are these. They provide a decent flush cut, but mine are definitely starting to feel a bit less sharp after like 2 years of heavy use. Not unusable by any means, but a tad bit dull.

The dream set would be something like this from Tamiya. Those things are near perfection. The only cutters that I've seen better reviews/demos of are the mythical God Hand cutters. Mineshima has had huge production issues ever since they launched in like 2012, and that doesn't seem like it will be resolved any time soon, so you can't even get a set of those at anywhere near a decent price. The difference between those and the best Tamiya set is minimal if you wanted to go high end anyway.

Meneses

I love watching Dan and I love Dark Souls, but the last time I watched this run he was fat rolling everywhere and I just can't deal with that.

I got these and a basic set of files.

Clips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZPDG1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Filez:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BMUONA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also for the person who asked, just doing the HG Build Burning Gundam

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1APMU0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I will take advice on the best way or when to use the files. If I leave a little on a clip, I've filed it down (but these clippers have been pretty good cutting flush) but wondering when I should be filing.

Also looking for a second one to do after this one in the class/price range. I am not a fan of the series, but, so far, it's been fun to build. So a fun build would be cool.

i have a marketing degree so anything like that MLK sale just makes me cringe. like how on earth do brands think that stuff is a good idea? it's like the time spaghettios tweeted about remembering Pearl Harbor.

yami4ct

From GunPla experience, something like those wire cutters will absolutely work. That being said, I cannot praise the upgrade getting a nice set of hobby flush cutters is. It makes things so much easier. Angled wire cutters means you cannot get as close to the part and are much more likely to cause stress marks. If you're going to keep doing GunPla anywhere near long term, a nice set of flush cutters is a fantastic ease of use investment.

As for what to build next, I might recommend something form the Iron-Blooded Orphans line. The Barbatos, Graze, Hyakuri, Gusion and Kimaris are all great.

There's also the HG Char's Zaku II The Origin Version as well. Such a cool kit with so many accessories.

I put a playlist of all the videos on qlcrew into vlc and it says that it is 5022 videos, 3524 hours/146.8 days.

Meh, I'm sure there are people with higher WoW playtimes than that. I don't have a problem.

Interestingly, that equates to about 80 minutes of video content per day since the site officially launched.

From GunPla experience, something like those wire cutters will absolutely work. That being said, I cannot praise the upgrade getting a nice set of hobby flush cutters is. It makes things so much easier. Angled wire cutters means you cannot get as close to the part and are much more likely to cause stress marks. If you're going to keep doing GunPla anywhere near long term, a nice set of flush cutters is a fantastic ease of use investment.

As for what to build next, I might recommend something form the Iron-Blooded Orphans line. The Barbatos, Graze, Hyakuri, Gusion and Kimaris are all great.

There's also the HG Char's Zaku II The Origin Version as well. Such a cool kit with so many accessories.

All noted, thanks. I guess I haven't noticed or had these not cut flush, so, I'll do some research into seeing what I'm missing if that's the case.

Tubobutts

i don't really "Get" model building.

I think I would just rather save the time and buy a gundam action figure if i wanted one

The actual act of putting them together is fun for me.

I dunno if I'd ever get into Gunpla, but I could see myself getting into 40k just for the figurines.

but they're really really expensive!!!

I got into Warhammer Fantasy and 40k just to put together the models. You can usually get a starter set for relatively cheap. But then you also have to buy paints and brushes which they keep raising the prices of. They steadily increase prices I general. I bought my first Warhammer thing in 2011 and they gave you free shipping on orders of $25+. Last time I checked I think you only got free shipping on orders of $100+.

yami4ct

I think it is the feeling of looking at it and saying to youself "I made this."

Yep. Also once you get good, the building process allows you to customize a suit to your liking. Whether it's just slightly modifying colors, doing full scratch built parts, taking parts from other kits, or simple small modifications like sharpening V-Fin antenna, model building provides a ton of options that are difficult or impossible to get on regular action figures.

Also, the act of building is really fun. It's like putting together a puzzle that uses all of 3D space. If the model is well designed, you also don't even get the seams like you get with a regular puzzle. Watching the engineering that gets you there will never stop being fascinating to me.

BearPawB

Banned
Oh, I understand that people feel that way,

But my limited experience goes, "i bought this thing, and in the process of trying to make it i fucked it up kind of"

I don't want to buy shoddily built figures, which is what i get if i build them

Lunar FC

But my limited experience goes, "i bought this thing, and in the process of trying to make it i fucked it up kind of"

Yeah, as somebody with a moderate case of OCD. Id much rather just buy something pre made and in perfect condition than make my own where I know everywhere I messed up.

yami4ct

I get that! For me, every fuck up is another opportunity to learn a new modeling technique. Half of why I've gotten way better at building is by fixing mistakes I've learned along the way. Those techniques often lead to ways to customize your kits further down the line.

You can get a cheap set for like $6 or even use nail clippers, but those tend to bite into the plastic and cause stress marks in my experience.

The ones I use are these. They provide a decent flush cut, but mine are definitely starting to feel a bit less sharp after like 2 years of heavy use. Not unusable by any means, but a tad bit dull.

The dream set would be something like this from Tamiya. Those things are near perfection. The only cutters that I've seen better reviews/demos of are the mythical God Hand cutters. Mineshima has had huge production issues ever since they launched in like 2012, and that doesn't seem like it will be resolved any time soon, so you can't even get a set of those at anywhere near a decent price. The difference between those and the best Tamiya set is minimal if you wanted to go high end anyway.

Gonna have to get those cutters, won't I? 30 bucks though...man >_>;

Yep. Also once you get good, the building process allows you to customize a suit to your liking. Whether it's just slightly modifying colors, doing full scratch built parts, taking parts from other kits, or simple small modifications like sharpening V-Fin antenna, model building provides a ton of options that are difficult or impossible to get on regular action figures.

Also, the act of building is really fun. It's like putting together a puzzle that uses all of 3D space. If the model is well designed, you also don't even get the seams like you get with a regular puzzle. Watching the engineering that gets you there will never stop being fascinating to me.

Yeah. It's about building it yourself and being able to display it, it's alot more satisfying then buying a figure that's already made. Just alot of satisfaction from it.

Also, for the person asking for suggestions on what to build next, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH QUEBELEY-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00030EUUS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That thing is just sexy and huge. And the hands are so damn articulate!

Zaph

Dark Souls really gives me the feeling of an old UK kid's show called Knightmare. That shopkeeper's voice is straight out of it.

yami4ct

Gonna have to get those cutters, won't I? 30 bucks though...man >_>;

I'm going to end up with a set of those top end Tamiyas by the end of the year. I already feel the temptation coming on. I will probably get some sand paper and sharpen my current pair to stave off the temptation, but man those look good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

But that's part of the fun though!

I'm a leather crafter and every fuck up is an opportunity to improve upon my craft.

I guess model building is different because you're making a pre-defined thing, but you know.

Life is a learning process man. - Mahatma Gandhi

popo

Dark Souls really gives me the feeling of an old UK kid's show called Knightmare. That shopkeeper's voice is straight out of it.

That show was terrible. So fair comparison.

PS4 version

Knightmare_named_best_children_s_programme_in_RadioTimes_com_Kids_TV_Champ.jpg

xbox one version

knightmare4.jpg

I'm going to end up with a set of those top end Tamiyas by the end of the year. I already feel the temptation coming on. I will probably get some sand paper and sharpen my current pair to stave off the temptation, but man those look good.

But yours are good enough right? When you cut out parts, is there any like...bad flash left on the piece? I know when I cut it with my razor, the flash tends to be pretty noticeable >_>;

yami4ct

But yours are good enough right? When you cut out parts, is there any like...bad flash left on the piece? I know when I cut it with my razor, the flash tends to be pretty noticeable >_>;

I tend to leave a tad bit of nub and shave the rest off with my x-acto knife to prevent stress marks, but my clippers can get really damn close and the cut is clean. Infinitely better than just trying to use a razor.

If you're talking about mold flash on parts that aren't nubs, that isn't a cutting problem. Plastic will occasionally get left over in the molding process. It's normal and nothing a close shave with a x-acto or sand paper can't fix.

I apologize to Jeff and any new anime watcher on behalf of anime fans. We are, pretty universally, just the worst.

anime connoisseurs are just as insufferable as vaping enthusiasts and alcohol snobs if not somehow worse

coming from someone who quite enjoys 2 out of 3 of those things sometimes

I tend to leave a tad bit of nub and shave the rest off with my x-acto knife to prevent stress marks, but my clippers can get really damn close and the cut is clean. Infinitely better than just trying to use a razor.

If you're talking about mold flash on parts that aren't nubs, that isn't a cutting problem. Plastic will occasionally get left over in the molding process. It's normal and nothing a close shave with a x-acto or sand paper can't fix.

Oh, I just call any left over plastic 'flash'. CAUSE I CAN.

Hrm. It seems like I can still use my razor >_> I've usually been good about it in the past, I juss need to practice up again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's like every fandom though.

I'm pretty there are some giantbomb fans here telling people that they're watching giantbomb wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom