• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other Kerbal videos similar to Project Beast worth watching? (Already went back and rewatched the previous GB quicklooks.)

I don't know if there are other people who botch the game as entertainingly but if you want to watch people play it well and interesting, Scott Manley and Kerbal Space Command are both good channels

I watch out while driving my Prius.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t
super Kawaii fixed link

Teaser:
dRh53jG.png

The Dwarf Fortress talk on the last Bombcast made me finally go back and start watching the old Dave Fortress 2 part series from a few years back, and MAN this is a fascinating game. Like, I absolutely never want to play it, but it is really fascinating.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The Dwarf Fortress talk on the last Bombcast made me finally go back and start watching the old Dave Fortress 2 part series from a few years back, and MAN this is a fascinating game. Like, I absolutely never want to play it, but it is really fascinating.

That feature was kind of bad though.

I've been watching the Kerbal series. I'm on Part 2, and damn is Vinny's enthusiasm great. Also they're reactions make it a great watch even if you're not interested in the game.

BearPawB

Banned
I think Dwarf Fortress is an overwhelming and complicated game.

I remember those videos fondly, but yeah, i don't know what people were expecting.

BearPawB

Banned
I mean I'm not blaming Dave, but yeah, DF is probably a hard video game to present.

Yeah, and Dave was in no way even a Dwarf Fortress novice, let alone an expert.

When you barely know what you are doing in a game that complex...you get that kind of video series. WHich I love. I will always watch vinny/dave/drew struggle through complexity

Yeah, and Dave was in no way even a Dwarf Fortress novice, let alone an expert.

When you barely know what you are doing in a game that complex...you get that kind of video series. WHich I love. I will always watch vinny/dave/drew struggle through complexity

Yeah that's pretty much the appeal of it to me watching it right now. I always enjoyed watching Dave struggle with weird Eastern European games, and Drew with flight sims.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I enjoy that type of content too, but I dunno, maybe it's the presentation? Also I remember Dave just being frustrated instead of the general bemused confusion that makes me love giantbomb. Could be wrong though, it's been awhile.

Dave bought an actual physical book to try to understand Dwarf Fortress. His big mistake, I think, was trying to memorize everything beforehand so he wasn't checking tutorials live, which is basically impossible.

The best way to do it would be to just have this tab open on another monitor, and maybe start about an hour in so you skip the initial boilerplate setup. I don't know if that would still be entertaining but it would be less aimless.

I've been watching the Kerbal series. I'm on Part 2, and damn is Vinny's enthusiasm great. Also they're reactions make it a great watch even if you're not interested in the game.

I've owned the game for ages, but the series reinvigorated my interest in learning to play it. Playing the science mode where you kind of have to progress through the tree is definitely the way to play, because it gives you small little goals beyond "alright I'll go to the moon I guess." First you launch something, then you put something into orbit, then you do scientific experiments like analyzing goo at different heights or taking temperatures, then you progress until you're able to build and fly a craft that you can fly to the moon and back. It helps add such a sense of accomplishment to even the smallest feat. For instance, I just built an airplane to fly to the polar icecaps of Kerbin to take a temperature reading. It was a long easy flight, but the fact that I finally built a plane that didn't do a flip every time i tried to adjust my pitch and actually flew and landed it on the polar ice caps from the space center is awesome.

It really is a special game. The kerbals themselves add so much charm. Every time something blows up and you lose a kerbal you're devestated.

FStop7

Banned
It's so weird hearing Brad not knowing anything about Ghost in the Shell: SAC. That's pretty much the only anime series I've ever cared about. The Laughing Man, Individual Eleven, and Solid State Society stories are built on the kind of philosophical concepts that he likes.

Played a few hours of that f2p Ghost in the Shell shooter today. It's... it's alright! It's the kind of competent, pleasantly bland shooter that I can get into for a little while. So many shooters today get bogged down in such an overwhelming amount of Stuff that it's occasionally nice to spend a bit of time with something that is both mechanically and visually a bit more simplistic. Plus it vaguely reminds me of that Source mod NeoTokyo. (Or, well, I guess NeoTokyo kind of went for the GitS aesthetic.)

Caught up on my GB backlog while playing, including the Phantasmagoria 2 CYOA. I'd love to have some more Bakalaction on these.

I don't know if there are other people who botch the game as entertainingly but if you want to watch people play it well and interesting, Scott Manley and Kerbal Space Command are both good channels

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Zaph

The best way to do it would be to just have this tab open on another monitor, and maybe start about an hour in so you skip the initial boilerplate setup. I don't know if that would still be entertaining but it would be less aimless.

That wiki is to 'quick starts' what giant bomb is to 'quick looks'.

I don't really know what happened but I somehow was listening to an early 2012 bombcast in which Jeff has just returned from playing 100 hours of The Old Republic. Then I read up on all the changes and expansions that have come to the game and now I have an account and it's downloading. I haven't played an MMO before (Destiny counts though right, right!?). I am scared and a little weirded out by the way this evening is playing out.

Jintor

I think I'll finish up LiS ep 2 tonight and start trying to tool around in Kerbel. I'm kind of getting the feeling it might be a hard game to play without a proper desk to sit at.

Kotatsus are great but they're really bad for my posture :T

Jintor

Wait, what's so weird about sitting in a kotatsu? It's just sitting on the floor right?

yeah but who the fuck sits on the floor for the amount of time you use a computer? even with these weird backchair things my back is just getting murdered. tbh the main problem is I only have the one monitor I'm using as a TV so I can't just use a desk...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I rewatched the Celebrity Multimedia Poker QL and it doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top of the QLCrews best videos.

It has exactly ONE funny moment and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom