• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

glad that Jeff made the talk about Making a Murderer insufferable and all about himself and how he doesn't like it despite not having seen it. Guy needs to not dominate every single discussion sometimes.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded a more detailed discussion of it.

He's not wrong, though, in the sense that a lot of the conversation has revolved around the presumption of Avery's innocence when there's quite a lot that suggests otherwise.

FluxWaveZ

There was a user on the GB forums who used to have multiple alternate accounts after they kept getting banned, each with a "Sonicthehedgehog" type moniker and avatar. He made recurring threads—multiple paragraphs long—about how disgraceful and shameful it was for Jeff to claim "anime is for jerks," and swore to make him apologize for it.

Good times.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded a more detailed discussion of it.

He's not wrong, though, in the sense that a lot of the conversation has revolved around the presumption of Avery's innocence when there's quite a lot that suggests otherwise.

it's a little sad, if not super surprising that there seems to be a lot of people whose major takeaway was "maybe he was innocent" instead of "jesus christ, look how broken our legal/justice system is"

dude probably did it. as it stands though, those trials were fucking shams.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
wouldn't have pissed off the anime nerds as much, so nah

e: lul

Can I get any kind of odds on that person who said "we" not being from Japan? Anybody want me to take their money on this bet?

Also the movie was mostly just alright, but it was great for a lot of people in the way that Rez is great to Jeff and other sane people. It doesn't actually do anything incredibly or original or thoroughly, but it's pretty fucking great. Stand Alone Complex was just good enough for me to not want to watch it again a decade later in case my memory is wrong.

justjim89

it's a little sad, if not super surprising that there seems to be a lot of people whose major takeaway was "maybe he was innocent" instead of "jesus christ, look how broken our legal/justice system is"

dude probably did it. as it stands though, those trials were fucking shams.

Last night I watched the episodes dealing mostly with
his nephew's confession
and hoo boy, that shit made me furious.

I obviously haven't seen all of it, and the series is certainly swayed in Avery's favor, but the degree to which it looks like evidence
(like the key, or his blood sample)
were tampered and fucked with is almost cartoonish.

Like, Avery seems like a strange dude and he very well may have done it, but the cops of that town look like movie-tier crooked.

Last night I watched the episodes dealing mostly with
his nephew's confession
and hoo boy, that shit made me furious.

that was kind of the turning point for me where I went from not having a strong opinion on the case to just feeling miserable about humanity. from that point on it's an almost cartoonish series of nothing making any sense. cops being questioned as to why they said or did something completely bizarre, and just responding with a shrug. how. how is that acceptable.

if you want my opinion based largely on speculation, Avery probably did it but covered his tracks to the point where shit had to be manipulated to actually pin it to him

and that's gross

it's the same for all documentary/non-fiction filmmaking. unfortunately people are effectively trained since birth to take what people on teevee say as truth. it's one of my biggest problems with Michael Moore. it's not that he's bad... it's that he's maybe too good at projecting opinion as fact.

christ though, that section about people calling for exoneration. this show is really the gift of depression that keeps on giving

I think the whole anti-Avery stuff that has all come out afterward is specifically because people miss-understood the show. Who the hell cares if he's guilty or not when it's apparently this damn easy to just charge whatever the hell you want on someone?

daydream

Banned
The New Yorker is as good as it's ever been. At least in the 10 or so years I've subscribed to it!

yeah, i haven't had much time the last year or so to keep up. also, good feuilletons are a dying breed

i've come close to subscribing several times but it ain't cheap for non-us peeps. also, as someone who was all in on magazine subscriptions and has slowly gotten rid of them in the past 5-8 years, i don't think i should do it again ('it' being subscribing and watching the issues stack up cause i can't make time to read them)

FluxWaveZ

Tried to create Jeff in the Black Desert creator.
ix7z2Q4.jpg
cjKU61f.jpg
My Chie turned out better.

Myggen

yeah, i haven't had much time the last year or so to keep up. also, good feuilletons are a dying breed

i've come close to subscribing several times but it ain't cheap for non-us peeps. also, as someone who was all in on magazine subscriptions and has slowly gotten rid of them in the past 5-8 years, i don't think i should do it again ('it' being subscribing and watching the issues stack up cause i can't make time to read them)

Yeah, I subscribe to The Economist, The Atlantic, The New Yorker, Harper's, Wired and Vanity Fair. I haven't come close to reading a full issue of The Economist since I was a student about 4 years ago :p

LiK

Yeah, I subscribe to The Economist, The Atlantic, The New Yorker, Harper's, Wired and Vanity Fair. I haven't come close to reading a full issue of The Economist since I was a student about 4 years ago :p

Myggen is keeping all those pubs alive.

daydream

Banned

those lawyer $$$ at work

edit: that said, i spend a multiple of those sub costs on books instead so

Myggen

Haha, that boss fight the end of the Resident Evil QL is the clunky RE I remember (and kinda love?).

those lawyer $$$ at work

edit: that said, i spend a multiple of those sub costs on books instead so

Yeah, I don't really read much fiction so I've got that part of my budget covered.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Will New Dan spend his holiday in Europe, trying fancy food and taking in the culture?

edit: He can watch the European Championship live!

LiK

I like New Dan, he's become one of us. I also like that he's basically collecting a bunch of shit again like he did in Kansas.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
GiantBomb already lost all the real anime fans after they defiled Hatune Miku anyway

Noooo.. I had a four-day weekend and didn't pay attention to the schedule!

Well congratz, now you have a seven day weekend because you are FIRED from the GB fan club!

Heh, Vinny noticed that too going by the episode description.

Sounds like a good video to play in background while I die in Darkest Dungeon

Brad's pedal pump story was pretty awesome. It sounded like the kind of legend you would hear whispered amongst some frat bros at a college party.

"He BIT the beer!"

daydream

Banned
anime is all around us

read about it in my thesis 'everything is anime: toward a deconstructivist understanding of japanese cartoons'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom