• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
hey daydream

what was up with your version of Tembo, because I started playing that and I have no idea how to control the damn thing

well, you could tell it was clearly not working right

elephant was, like, stuck in a rolling animation if i hit that button, then if i jumped, he'd shoot up and take like ten seconds to come down again. it was completely non-functional

game was chugging pretty noticeably, too, aside from the intro cutscene

stuff was flickering, tembo was clipping

it was a whole thing

for P4? it was unbearable because the same song played for the entire thing. I was already sick of it by the time i finished P4G lol

It was the best because of all the hilarious commentary. Plus I found the fusion theory stuff to be pretty fascinating.

Bowlie

Banned
Just wanna say, daydream,
while I was away, I finished Steamworld Heist once, and then another time leveling all characters to level 10 to see their different abilities, items and hats.

If I had played it last year, it would clearly be in my top 10.

edit: and pokémon picross as well. Great game, but the f2p aspect hurt a bit of my enjoyment. I'll try the other Picross games now!

DamnBoxes

boy am I sick of hearing about anime

Quiet, grumpa. We demand MORE anime! MORE anime! MORE anime!

hqdefault.jpg

daydream

Banned
Just wanna say, daydream,
while I was away, I finished Steamworld Heist once, and then another time leveling all characters to level 10 to see their different abilities, items and hats.

If I had played it last year, it would clearly be in my top 10.

bruh

2575277-jeffthumbsup.gif

I think the rule for Project BEAST should be that Vinny isn't allowed to look up Kerbal-centric tutorials but he is allowed (and encouraged) to research actual space missions.

"No, they did this in an Apollo mission, Alex, trust me."

Bowlie

Banned
For somebody who hates X-Com, all Tactics games, and all Fire Emblem games but loved Steam World Dig, would I enjoy Heist?

If you watched the QL you know already it's a turn-based shooter, but I got way more a Dig vibe than a FE one. It's not complex like those games; you're mostly fighting robots in small rooms, and controlling not more than four characters at the same time. It isn't unforgiving too, there's no permadeath and I've never failed a stage.

I don't remember if Dan showed in the quick look but there's a looot of variety in it. You could pick that fish guy who's good at melee and give him gloves with stun chance and toy with every enemy, or pick that bomber who fires two shots in the same turn and give her a fucking bazooka to obliterate one of the bosses. Or even equip goggles with critical chance on a sniper and make a bullet ricochet off the walls 5 times before hitting a dude's head. I encourage you to see what all characters can offer.

That said, it's a SteamWorld game. You'll be at home seeing the same themes, humour and art style. If that's why you loved Dig, I think you'll love this one too. (Just know that its strong part is the gameplay. It feels great shooting someone in it)

I'm screaming at the new BEAST.
He's tilting it way too much, too early!

I don't think many tutorials ever updated for the aerodynamic changes in 1.05. In 1.0 you could start tilting right off of launch, now you have to let yourself get up pretty high or else you'll start flipping over.

His unbalanced, winged monstrosities are certainly not helping.

If you watched the QL you know already it's a turn-based shooter, but I got way more a Dig vibe than a FE one. It's not complex like those games; you're mostly fighting robots in small rooms, and controlling not more than four characters at the same time. It isn't unforgiving too, there's no permadeath and I've never failed a stage.

I don't remember if Dan showed in the quick look but there's a looot of variety in it. You could pick that fish guy who's good at melee and give him gloves with stun chance and toy with every enemy, or pick that bomber who fires two shots in the same turn and give her a fucking bazooka to obliterate one of the bosses. Or even equip goggles with critical chance on a sniper and make a bullet ricochet off the walls 5 times before hitting a dude's head. I encourage you to see what all characters can offer.

That said, it's a SteamWorld game. You'll be at home seeing the same themes, humour and art style. If that's why you loved Dig, I think you'll love this one too. (Just know that its strong part is the gameplay. It feels great shooting someone in it)

The reason I hated all the games I mentioned above is that turn-based games are REALLY slow for me. The main thing I loved about Heist was the Metroidvania style and the great controls. I really wanted a sequel to it, but the more I hear about Heist, the less interested I am, which is unfortunate.

daydream

Banned
deviled eggs is my favourite persona

The reason I hated all the games I mentioned above is that turn-based games are REALLY slow for me. The main thing I loved about Heist was the Metroidvania style and the great controls. I really wanted a sequel to it, but the more I hear about Heist, the less interested I am, which is unfortunate.

heist is extremely fast-paced, can't think of a strategy game that moves quicker

Bowlie

Banned

Yeah, I get you. But as I said, you're only controlling 4 characters top, and you can skip enemies' turns.

The first time I played, I was slowly walking with all my dudes together, afraid that I'd get killed if one of them went in a separate room.
By the second time I knew how hard it was, and was blazing through every map spreading them in as many rooms as possible to kill everyone, grab all loot and get off quickly.
It's not slow as those (especially in some FE maps, where there are 40 characters fighting against each other).

---

catching up, I just saw Jeff's Gone Home strats and JV in Cake Wars. I'm so happy.
why the intense song in a cake show though?

heist is extremely fast-paced, can't think of a strategy game that moves quicker

Yeah, same here. It's pretty rapid-fire for a strategy game and even has a button to fast forward through enemy movement (which can come in handy). I think it's a good choice for people looking for lighter strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom