• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

And stuff like Brad's tweet kind of says to me The Witness is going to be a real zeitgeist game. Like Fez was. And I can't imagine it would have the same effect months down the line.

This is what I'm getting it too. When people were like "$40 for a line puzzle game lol fuck you"...it's obviously not a dozens-hour long line puzzle game. I'm all for a rabbit-hole adventure game like Fez again.

Zaph

Yeah, as eager as I am to finally play The Witness, I'm starting to get worried I'll have to rush the game just to stay ahead of the curve and not have it ruined by the internet shoving it down your throat, memeifying it and spoiling secrets. It's a lot easier to avoid this when the game's short.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just saying I've seen some of the new icons for your driver in American Truck Simulator and they look pretty good

It being just California and Nevada is pretty lame though. How are you going to have a truck game set in America and NOT in Seattle?

convo

Loved Jeff's article about emulators and all that weird shit people do with Tas.
I find it sad that people around here just call it "cheating" like what the fuck, pong has been programmed into SMW with controllers and that's all you have to say? I guess a little appreciation on the programming side of games is required.
Tas may have boring and time consuming setups but the result is a showcase of how far people have broken certain games. He didn't talk about the 0.5 A press video on the podcast so it's nice seeing him make more articles about the things he's intersted in.

convo

Only problem is that its 40 bucks and apparently takes 75 hours to beat instead of a 15 dollar hit like Fez or Braid

Well are peoples problem with the game that it's overdelivering on the cost to hours ratio compared to other AAA games or is it too much game for an indie game? I can take a honest dislike for Jonathan Blow as a person for a reason to be grumpy about this game, but i don't see them having any rational reason for their dislike for this when it isn't out yet.

tchocky

I'm thinking about subscribing to the WWE Network for the Royal Rumble, help.

You should do it. The undercard is really strong with every match having the potential to be really good. The Rumble should be fun even if HHH is going to win the title, we could still see the AJ Styles debut and Brock destroying a ring full of jobbers. Looking at the whole show it should be a really good to great so you will want to see for yourself how they manage to screw it up.

Myggen

Well are peoples problem with the game that it's overdelivering on the cost to hours ratio compared to other AAA games or is it too much game for an indie game? I can take a honest dislike for Jonathan Blow as a person for a reason to be grumpy about this game, but i don't see them having any rational reason for their dislike for this when it isn't out yet.

The thread on GAF was very much that it's too much for an indie and/or puzzle game. The knee jerk reaction of so many people was a bit disheartening if not all that surprising.

santeesioux

You should do it. The undercard is really strong with every match having the potential to be really good. The Rumble should be fun even if HHH is going to win the title, we could still see the AJ Styles debut and Brock destroying a ring full of jobbers. Looking at the whole show it should be a really good to great so you will want to see for yourself how they manage to screw it up.

Yeah, I stopped watching wrestling like 15 years ago, but the RR is always interesting.

hamchan

New Dan is right, HHH winning the Rumble is the best result.

Not only is HHH justified as a character to take out Roman Reigns after Roman cowardly attacked him for no reason but when the event ends in boos again it will actually be appropriate since he's supposed to be a heel.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm downloading a bunch of MBMBAM podcasts in preparation for my internet going down and I just randomly started listening to one and oh my god Griffin's singing a John Michael Montgomery song and and it's amazing and hilarious and yeah. Griffin's a pretty cool dude. Why is there no McElroy OT?

Alfredo

I'm thinking about subscribing to the WWE Network for the Royal Rumble, help.

If you're a new subscriber, there's a 1-month free trial which would include the Royal Rumble, and you can cancel afterwards. I even think that if you subscribe on the 22nd (tomorrow), you'll get Fastlane, the February pay-per-view for free, too.

200.gif

I'm downloading a bunch of MBMBAM podcasts in preparation for my internet going down

hahah I'm having this debate with myself right now

should I download a bunch of shit right now just in case? am I cursing myself if I do?

this is my first winter in my current place, not sure how good the utilities are.

KingKong

I think its reasonably priced, but its not going to sell well and if most of that playtime is for the main game and not side content, it wont be beaten by enough people to become a hit like Fez or Braid. Im sure there will still be a community around it on GAF and reddit though

TraBuch

Banned

should I download a bunch of shit right now just in case? am I cursing myself if I do?

this is my first winter in my current place, not sure how good the utilities are.
Just go ahead and download all of The Adventure Zone.

Bacon

Just go ahead and download all of The Adventure Zone.

Guys don't be like those people who go out and buy 3 weeks worth of milk break and eggs at the first hint of a snowstorm.

convo

I think its reasonably priced, but its not going to sell well and if most of that playtime is for the main game and not side content, it wont be beaten by enough people to become a hit like Fez or Braid. Im sure there will still be a community around it on GAF and reddit though

Well if this game has crazy secrets as Brad seems to be implying, then a lot of people might want to be there to solve those secrets too.

santeesioux

If you're a new subscriber, there's a 1-month free trial which would include the Royal Rumble, and you can cancel afterwards. I even think that if you subscribe on the 22nd (tomorrow), you'll get Fastlane, the February pay-per-view for free, too.

Free is definitely worth it.

popo

My only problem with $40 for The Witness is that I still don't know what that game is - beyond "line puzzles" and "open world island". 100 hours sounds good value but not if the puzzles are not fun to me.

I guess reviews and the QL should clear up a lot of that but if it were $15, I might have bought it blind.

One thing where big pubs differ from Blow is that they would have been out there demoing and talking up the game 6 months ago. I am not sure if allowing players to go in blind and sell via word of mouth is good or not. I suspect it might not be the smartest business decision but Blow claims to be more about the art and he is certainly sticking to his guns.

Value's exceptionally subjective, depending on a wide range of factors from wealth, personal spending, free time, etc.

Zero problems with the price in my nook.
Vitriolic responses are embarrassing, on either side.

def sim

Liquor I can get behind. Nothing better than being snowed in with a bottle of booze and literally no possible obligations to worry about.

Yup. Other than walking my dog, I'm looking forward to being an absolute lazy mess all weekend. I'll probably even watch the Royal Rumble.

Fireblend

Banned
That last Dan periscope was adorable. Stopping to talk with Danny and Jeff, joking around in the office, everyone in good spirits... makes my heart all fuzzy.

The Witness is weird for me because on one hand, I respect the idea of concealing a significant portion of your game and letting the world discover all this crazy shit together (which I assume is what's going on with The Witness because if not then fuck, what took you so long?), but on the other hand I'm pretty much going to have to spoil some of the "secret" of that game for myself because nothing about what they've shown so far looks like $40 worth of fun for me.

Fez, meanwhile, was intriguing from the jump with its Escherian perspective puzzles and the Disasterpeace music. Phil Fish was selling me one $15 game and then delivered an entirely different, way awesomer $15 game. The Witness is selling me a $15 game that I'll have to buy on the hope that it's secretly a $40 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom