• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catvoca

Banned
It sounds like they don't even know what that is or when it's coming though.

I think even if Destiny 2 doesn't ship until early next year they'll probably be fine though. They just need to whether the backlash from the lack of content and hopefully update Destiny as it stands to make some of the old content viable.

Although it does sound like the management is all over the place. Hopefully they can get their shit together. I really want to play a great Destiny game.

Jesus christ that engine story.

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

When your basic tools are that bad, it's amazing Destiny came out the way it did. I really hope they wipe the slate for Destiny 2 if they want to continue the series forward. But I get this bad feeling that they're just going to rehash Destiny because it worked out well enough for them.

Catvoca

Banned
well, one more Destiny news story and no more Destiny talk for a whole year. happy now?

I bet that Brad will bring it up every time there's a shitty month long event, and they'll use that as an excuse to talk about Destiny for 20 minutes. There is no escape from Destiny!

daveo42

Banned

Glad I bowed out after the first expansion. This seems fucked all around and I have my doubts it'll get any better without some major, major restructuring all the way down.

It seems really odd to me to have a ten year plan before even knowing what to do the third year...

The fuck up probably came from Bungie saying they could deliver so much content on such a tight schedule and Activision believed them. This should have been on a 3-year timeframe, with a Comet expansion every 1.5 years or DLC spread out to release every six months.

No way in hell were they going to keep up this schedule:

Year 1
Game 1
DLC 1
DLC 2
Year 2
Comet 1
DLC 3
DLC 4
Repeat

LiK

I enjoyed my time with Destiny even with a lot of BS. but all the recent updates after TTK came out were awful and events were lame as fuck. so I quit. I made some friends there and had fun but yea, not gonna go back unless there's anything substantial and it looks like it's not gonna happen.

atho if Brad ever needs help with something, i'll pop in to help.

Destiny seems like a real mess.

In my head I hope Destiny 2 is a real "blow the doors off" sequel like other sequels to classic look games, Diabio 2, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, BUT it seems like their tech is a mess and will be holding them back for years to come.

I wonder if they will try and do a TTK expansion now if D2 isnt 2016. Something a bit bigger then Destiny 1's $20 packs that introduces something to keep the hardcore grinding away. Seems like people who care really burned through TTK fast and the game needs new end game stuff bad

My takeaway is that I'm glad I don't work for Bungie.

Waiting around for stuff to compile seems like it would make for a real cushy job.

Glad I bowed out after the first expansion. This seems fucked all around and I have my doubts it'll get any better without some major, major restructuring all the way down.

The fuck up probably came from Bungie saying they could deliver so much content on such a tight schedule and Activision believed them. This should have been on a 3-year timeframe, with a Comet expansion every 1.5 years or DLC spread out to release every six months.

No way in hell were they going to keep up this schedule:

Year 1
Game 1
DLC 1
DLC 2
Year 2
Comet 1
DLC 3
DLC 4
Repeat

It definitely seems to me like some kind of conflict between creative and higher ups. It seems like there is so much confusion on what to do about content that the game just seems like an absolute mess when it comes to direction. I feel like they need to pick a direction and go and live with it for a little while rather than doing this whole back and forth and confusion on what exactly to do.

The 8-4 speculation on the NX oddly makes me excited for it, coming from someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo product other than 3DS and DS for a long while.

I'm tired of missing out on so many games I want to play by time the console's time runs out that I've just decided I'm buying their next console no matter what cause the games will eventually come.

daveo42

Banned
It definitely seems to me like some kind of conflict between creative and higher ups. It seems like there is so much confusion on what to do about content that the game just seems like an absolute mess when it comes to direction. I feel like they need to pick a direction and go and live with it for a little while rather than doing this whole back and forth and confusion on what exactly to do.

They did have a direction, but couldn't deliver on time so a lot of it had to be cut back. I'm sure we would be having a different conversation if Bungie was allowed the time to actually finish a game prior to launch or negotiated for a much more favorable dev timeframe. At this point it almost seems like a soft reset on however they are moving forward on this franchise would be the right decision and hopefully that's what is happening now.

Also, I'm sure Activision isn't helping matters because of the amount of money they are fronting for this game and are tapping their toes waiting on games to come out.

They did have a direction, but couldn't deliver on time so a lot of it had to be cut back. I'm sure we would be having a different conversation if Bungie was allowed the time to actually finish a game prior to launch or negotiated for a much more favorable dev timeframe. At this point it almost seems like a soft reset on however they are moving forward on this franchise would be the right decision and hopefully that's what is happening now.

Also, I'm sure Activision isn't helping matters because of the amount of money they are fronting for this game and are tapping their toes waiting on games to come out.

Did they though? I mean, sure they apparently had a plan on when expansions were coming out and what not, but it really seemed like that stuff was very much in flux the entire time. Then after the release everything content wise seemed to be in flux. It just seems like they could never really hammer down an agreement on what to move forward with until the last minute and everything has to be changed.

BL1 had a lot of cool story and world building atmosphere things that got the short end of the stick in 2.

I did not care for the story and overall "MEMES!!!!!1!" tone of 2 at all.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching Patrick play though Jeff's Castle Hassle level. Wow man. Fuck that stage. There are some messed up jumps in that thing. Some dayum messed up stuff. A couple cool ideas I want to try in a level now, but a couple of those jumps are just so mean.

daveo42

Banned
Did they though? I mean, sure they apparently had a plan on when expansions were coming out and what not, but it really seemed like that stuff was very much in flux the entire time. Then after the release everything content wise seemed to be in flux. It just seems like they could never really hammer down an agreement on what to move forward with until the last minute and everything has to be changed.

Prior to launch, at least based on the info that has leaked out from Bungie, is that they did have a more robust story and vision for the game prior to launch. The issue was that most of it was scrapped or turned into the online Grimore (card system thingy) to save development time and get the game out sooner. Remember that the game was delayed at least once prior to launch and in that time a lot probably changed in the backend just to make it to the Fall 2014 release.

I think this all comes back to Bungie not originally asking for enough time to develop the games to get Activison to sign off on the game and its funding.

killroy87

Haha it's not like it bothers me on a personal level, but Dan starting the Mario & Luigi QL with 10 minutes of the least appealing content isn't going to do much to drive potential sales lol.

Prior to launch, at least based on the info that has leaked out from Bungie, is that they did have a more robust story and vision for the game prior to launch. The issue was that most of it was scrapped or turned into the online Grimore (card system thingy) to save development time and get the game out sooner. Remember that the game was delayed at least once prior to launch and in that time a lot probably changed in the backend just to make it to the Fall 2014 release.

I think this all comes back to Bungie not originally asking for enough time to develop the games to get Activison to sign off on the game and its funding.

Yeah, I guess I'm just looking at it from a different angle. It almost seems to me like Activision just wasn't happy with that direction it was going even if they had enough time. I mean wasn't there a bunch of talk about higher ups not even seeing it much until late in the process and then creative also not knowing stuff had been dropped until the game was getting showed off at the event Jeff went to? It really just seems like so much of a cluster fuck that time could have only helped so much.

SummitAve

Banned
Yeah. Still going to buy the game, looks like a pretty good one of those.

Agreed, but those toad parts looked so tedious, and Dan really emphasized you would be doing a lot of it. So I figure If I had to skip through just watching it, I don't think I'll have fun playing it.

daveo42

Banned
Open your mouth I will show you

bndocks_ep101_09.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom