• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just beat Soma. Legit shook, teared up at the end.

giphy.gif

Magnificent game.
Hell yeah.

The fake Italian in Mario and Luigi gives me life. Always has. I wonder if they give Charles Martinet specific syllables to say on the script or just [Fake Italian].

My fiancee is from Sicily and it takes roughly 10 seconds of Mario voice clips on Youtube for her to snap.

(It's stereotypical and dumb as hell but I can't help but love that Mario talks about pasta in his sleep.)

justjim89

It's going to be such a bummer when Charles Martinet dies.

Really sad, minor key orchestral music with various Mario quips playing over it. The final shot is of Charles with his arm around Mario smiling, and Mario says "Bye bye!"

It's gonna be unbearable. Tearing up just thinking about it.

I mean, you can't really be racist against white people. That's not a thing.

It's stereotyping, but I wouldn't say racist.

Italians were not considered white when they began to arrive in America in droves in the late 19th Century. The Irish went through the same thing before that. There was extreme racism against both groups and ample discrimination.

But now? The typical stereotypes have no power to hurt because there's no discrimination. I can't speak for everyone with Italian ancestry on this next point, but even what were once the most vile of anti-Italian-American slurs have zero power.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Italians were not considered white when they began to arrive in America in droves in the late 19th Century. The Irish went through the same thing before that. There was extreme racism against both groups and ample discrimination.

But now? The typical stereotypes have no power to hurt because there's no discrimination. I can't speak for everyone with Italian ancestry on this next point, but even what were once the most vile of anti-Italian-American slurs have zero power.
Ask some Polish, Romian or Albanian people in Europe today. I assumed that post was a joke, honestly.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
this combat

what in the world
Remember, If you're playing The Witcher 2 today, you're playing a game with hundreds of smaller and bigger updates. The gameplay especially got some huge tweaks, even new animations.
Now imagine the release version.

justjim89

Yeah, that's fair. I'm all Irish and Italian, so I don't wanna feel like I'm punching down or speaking outside of my station, but if someone were to call me a dago, a wop, or a mick I'd laugh at them for even knowing old ass slurs like that.

These days, your average white person is more likely to get called mayonnaise or some similar shit off of tumblr. And boy howdy that cuts to the core.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You can look forward to a swirly in school on monday sleeping lesson

Brashnir

Yeah, that's fair. I'm all Irish and Italian, so I don't wanna feel like I'm punching down or speaking outside of my station, but if someone were to call me a dago, a wop, or a mick I'd laugh at them for even knowing old ass slurs like that.

These days, your average white person is more likely to get called mayonnaise or some similar shit off of tumblr. And boy howdy that cuts to the core.

Go ahead, call me mayonnaise or sour cream and see what happens to you...

after I get eaten by Dan Ryckert

Lunar FC

Watching the happy hour with babysitting mama for the first time rn. :p

My computer in currently in pieces and can only see the mobile site. I'm assuming UPF is at 4 MT?

It's hard to justify learning a new game when your group only plays once very 2 months or so. I really want to play more tabletop stuff though.

I feel you, I recommend finding a ~10 minute rules explanation video on youtube and having everyone watch that for homework/while people are showing up if you ever feel like branching out. Most popular games will have something of the sort.

That's ok, Catan is a Bad Game.

/boardgamesnob

How so?

What I like about Catan is it strikes a really nice balance between strategy and randomness such that you feel like you can play "smartly" but also a newbie won't feel completely fucked. In the majority of my Catan play there's usually been at least one person who hasn't played before and they almost always feel like they've caught up with everyone else by about halfway through the game.

I have a copy of Seafarers of Catan that I've never had the opportunity to use :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom