• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Fighting about eggs for 3 pages and now milk. At least talking about piss could be argued to be tangentially on topic. This thread is going to get modded any day now.

Yeah, EmCee's post about the egg stuff a few pages back should serve as a warning to not go on and on about milk and shit like that.

Xater

Fighting about eggs for 3 pages and now milk. At least talking about piss could be argued to be tangentially on topic. This thread is going to get modded any day now.

You should listen to the Beastcast to see how this is relevant.

Man Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is like one of the best JRPGs ever made and it feels like Nintendo hasn't even tried to make something on that level since.

Glitzville will forever be amazing.

LiK

all posts relate to recent GB crew tweets, Bombcast and Beastcast discussions. if that's not allowed here then I will abandon thread.

Man Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is like one of the best JRPGs ever made and it feels like Nintendo hasn't even tried to make something on that level since.

I'm so torn between the two games because I think that the party members in the first game are way cooler and Bow is the best, but it's hard to say that the improvements in TTYD aren't substantial enough to give it an obvious edge. A truly great sequel.

I should probably play some of these Mario and Luigi games.

The egg thing started with Dan's Twitter, and then Jeff's Tumblr. The key is probably just to not let it derail the thread.
I agree the egg thing really dragged on, it even came back after a chunk of time had passed but the milk discussion has already died out. These conversations should be killed before they span multiple pages but it's not like the conversations come from some entirely unrelated place to begin with.

Fireblend

Banned

It really is a shame they seem to have forgotten all about TTYD. Heck, even Superstar Saga was an outstanding game, it had a decent story, a ton of original characters and environments, the humor was on point, great music which is probably the only thing that has sticked through the whole series... AlphaDream has demonstrated they can pull off stuff like that, so I wonder why they're now deciding to stick to the generic Mario cast instead of introducing more original stuff. Paper Jam just looks so ridiculously bland.

Frith

i like giant bomb

its a website on the internet that is very good

giant bomb

giant bomb has videos that i like to watch with personalities and jokes

this thread is not for the jokes or the personalties just the website

i think it looks very good it is black and has red on some of it

there are hyperlinks on the website but lets not get off topic

and that topic is giantbomb

gbiliangtblomb!

Myggen

Piss came from a John Blow tweet, eggs + milk are from actual GB content.

I agree the egg thing really dragged on, it even came back after a chunk of time had passed but the milk discussion has already died out. These conversations should be killed before they span multiple pages but it's not like the conversations come from some entirely unrelated place to begin with.

Agreed. If we're again using the Super Best Friends Friends thread as a cautionary tale, part of the reason (not the only reason by a long shot) the mods came down on it was that it had devolved into more or less just off topic talk. I seem to remember a mod saying that off topic talk was the nature of the beast when a lot of the content that is discussed is also about things other than gaming/the site itself, but there's obviously a limit. We should be a bit mindful of that is all, especially given EmCee's post.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
gee is slang here in ireland for a lady's private parts

It's spelled differently but pronounced the same as ghee, just thought you guys should know. Unfortunate if your surname is mcgee

Agreed. If we're again using the Super Best Friends Friends thread as a cautionary tale, part of the reason (not the only reason by a long shot) the mods came down on it was that it had devolved into more or less just off topic talk. I seem to remember a mod saying that off topic talk was the nature of the beast when a lot of the content that is discussed is also about things other than gaming/the site itself, but there's obviously a limit. We should be a bit mindful of that is all, especially given EmCee's post.
Agreed, thankfully we do a decent job staying on topic most of the time. And when it does go off topic it's not as terrible as the SBFP thread could get.

LiK

I'm not sure what limit there should be if the conversations are flowing naturally from topics discussed by the GB crew. they tend to die down after a few pages on their own anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
gee is slang here in ireland for a lady's private parts

It's spelled differently but pronounced the same as ghee, just thought you guys should know. Unfortunate if your surname is mcgee

Is that why Ireland and Scotland have always been at war?

The problem with the SBF thread was not only that it went off topic, but that it went off topic at such a rapid pace that it almost caught up to the Giant Bomb OTs in a few months. It was chatroom posting and even those of us that tried to talk about SBF got drowned out. Less of a community discussion, more of just talking in the community. Thankfully the topic is completely about SBF now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at least we didn't get anywhere near the worst of it.

Let's face it. Super Mario RPG will never be topped. Also, all the Mario and Luigi games are awful.

I might be crazy but I don't think SMRPG holds a candle to the Paper Mario series.

Myggen

I'm not sure what limit there should be if the conversations are flowing naturally from topics discussed by the GB crew. they tend to die down after a few pages on their own anyway.

The limit is probably the egg talk, given EmCee's comment.

It really is a shame they seem to have forgotten all about TTYD. Heck, even Superstar Saga was an outstanding game, it had a decent story, a ton of original characters and environments, the humor was on point, great music which is probably the only thing that has sticked through the whole series... AlphaDream has demonstrated they can pull off stuff like that, so I wonder why they're now deciding to stick to the generic Mario cast instead of introducing more original stuff. Paper Jam just looks so ridiculously bland.

Yeah, the lack of original characters really kills my interest. Even Super Paper Mario had some really strong writing and character work.

Xater

I am watching the Mario & Luigi QL and thinking "Man Dan is not seriously missing that super obvious Toad is he?"

Cue him walking around aimlessly for way too long...

Zaph

The limit is probably the egg talk, given EmCee's comment.

I'm not sure if Emcee even knew the egg conversation followed a video by Dan. But either way, yeah, there is a pretty clear divide from on-off-topic eggs/milk stuff, and random 'suggest me anime'/'look at my robot toys'/generally treating this thread as your personal blog. I'd rather not wait to be moderated either.

actually, it came from a tweet by Dan. but anyway, enough about that cuz it's not allowed.
It was a periscope video.

LiK

watched RE0 QL last night and I'm reminded that RE0 did the switching between partner thing way before RE5. how quickly we all forget.

I'm not sure if Emcee even knew the egg conversation followed a video by Dan. But either way, yeah, there is a pretty clear divide from on-off-topic eggs/milk stuff, and random 'suggest me anime'/'look at my robot toys'/generally treating this thread as your personal blog. I'd rather not wait to be moderated either.

actually, it came from a tweet by Dan. but anyway, enough about that cuz it's not allowed.

It was a periscope video.

discussion came from me posting a tweet where he said he liked hard-boiled eggs. if I'm wrong, whatever.

To be fair the Gundam + anime stuff both started off because of something related to GB, it just very quickly grew beyond that.

watched RE0 QL last night and I'm reminded that RE0 did the switching between partner thing way before RE5. how quickly we all forget.

discussion came from me posting a tweet where he said he liked hard-boiled eggs. if I'm wrong, whatever.

He did a periscope of him actually eating said egg.

Edit:didn't see your last edit.

I finally finished the Ryckert Christmascast -- the funniest thing about Dan's relationship with his dad is that his frustrations with Paul are essentially the same things that piss some people off about Dan. Also, Paul is way less of a fan of Newdan than the rest of us.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it really any surprise that a community based on a website famous for going off-tangent has a tendency to go off-tangent as well?

Myggen

Is it really any surprise that a community based on a website famous for going off-tangent has a tendency to go off-tangent as well?

This thread has been going off topic since day 1, so no. It's just that EmCee actually posted a "stay more on topic" post a few pages back, which is the first time in a long while he's done that. No one is saying that the thread should always stay on topic (whatever that is with GB), but there's probably a reason he felt the need to post that.

I agree with Zaph's post.

Strax

There is no way I would've "started" this milk discussion without the help of Beastcast. They talked about milk for maybe 10 mins.
The milk talk is relevant in this thread.

Hatty

clVdOFv.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom