• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

it's so beautiful outside

i have a charlie brown christmas blaring throughout the house

i don't care that it's the end of january

east coast gang do you feel me

I feel you, I recommend finding a ~10 minute rules explanation video on youtube and having everyone watch that for homework/while people are showing up if you ever feel like branching out. Most popular games will have something of the sort.
We might end up doing that, I think everyone is ready to find something new. We've been playing Catan together irregularly for like 5 years.
Ticket to Ride is really quick to learn.

I've always been curious about Ticket to Ride, I'll look into it.

cones of dunshire?

ben-dice-cones-of-dunshire.gif

it's so beautiful outside

i have a charlie brown christmas blaring throughout the house

i don't care that it's the end of january

east coast gang do you feel me

I'd be more amused if the package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday (aka when the roads were fine) was delayed until today, and then delayed again.

so basically fuck you UPS.

How so?

What I like about Catan is it strikes a really nice balance between strategy and randomness such that you feel like you can play "smartly" but also a newbie won't feel completely fucked. In the majority of my Catan play there's usually been at least one person who hasn't played before and they almost always feel like they've caught up with everyone else by about halfway through the game.

I have a copy of Seafarers of Catan that I've never had the opportunity to use :(

I was mostly kidding, It's more not my cup of tea than anything else.

It's the kind of game where you can get absolutely screwed at like minute 1 (subpar starting location combined with someone cranking out a blocking settlement = I have very little chance of doing anything productive). Combined with that it can kind of drag, where some players have loads of options, and spend lots of time thinking about it vs. others just rolling and passing. Also, generally not a fan of randomness having an (debatably) unmitigatible negative effect.

Wunder

I was mostly kidding, It's more not my cup of tea than anything else.

It's the kind of game where you can get absolutely screwed at like minute 1 (subpar starting location combined with someone cranking out a blocking settlement = I have very little chance of doing anything productive). Combined with that it can kind of drag, where some players have loads of options, and spend lots of time thinking about it vs. others just rolling and passing. Also, generally not a fan of randomness having an (debatably) unmitigatible negative effect.

yeah its definitely a great intro board game but once you understand most of the mechanics in the base game I find it's easy to move on to bigger, better things.

kvk1

I'd be more amused if the package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday (aka when the roads were fine) was delayed until today, and then delayed again.

so basically fuck you UPS.

i'm afraid you're not getting a single package until Tuesday the earliest

sorry stumpy

i'm afraid you're not getting a single package until Tuesday the earliest

sorry stumpy

it was a gift for me that was overnighted for exactly the reason of avoiding the snowstorm but they just decided to not run the trucks yesterday.

bleh. anyway I like that these 3" of snow are only like 1/10th of the total we're supposed to get. thanks GB backlog for giving me something to do. finally watching LiS.

It's hard to justify learning a new game when your group only plays once very 2 months or so. I really want to play more tabletop stuff though.

Along with the aforementioned Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo is a fun easy game. Same for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, though how that goes over will depend on your group (it's a hidden identity game that is almost entirely centered around voluntary discussion, so it might not go over well with a quieter group).

I have Star Trek Catan though, which is superior to all other versions and expansions for Settlers.

Along with the aforementioned Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo is a fun easy game. Same for One Night Ultimate Werewolf, though how that goes over will depend on your group (it's a hidden identity game that is almost entirely centered around voluntary discussion, so it might not go over well with a quieter group).

I will check it out, thanks!

I got off work early because of the snowstorm. It's not even snowing where I am but I'm not complaining because now I'll finally be able to catch a UPF live.

Frith

hey i just got to the milk chat in the beast cast while i was cooking and i nearly set my self on fire laughing.
full fat for life

skimmed is a scam to re sell you cream

if almond milk makes you poop look into fodmap

uht is awful don't do it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Space Alert is a great game, but also stressing as hell. Like, seriously. Never played a board game so.....urgent

Speaking of stressing games, I don't think I can play Darkest Dungeon anymore. Everybody is so happy right now, but everytime I venture into a Level 3 dungeon I barely make it out alive...

tchocky

Vincent Caravella ‏@VinnyCaravella 21s22 seconds ago
I can’t believe what happened today regarding future Project B.E.A.S.T content on like seven different levels.

it was me, austin ‏@austin_walker 24s25 seconds ago
@VinnyCaravella I'm still a little shook up to be honest

Vincent Caravella ‏@VinnyCaravella 21s22 seconds ago
I can’t believe what happened today regarding future Project B.E.A.S.T content on like seven different levels.

I'm thinking it's something good since he said on the Beastcast that they were making good progress and felt like they were one day away from completing the Mun mission. I can't think of anything too disastrous -- even if they accidentally deleted all their ships they've tweaked the design so many times, it wouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom