• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
cs: go items everywhere

be4kDFq.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure I understand. If it's not a hack, then no one is trying to steal anyone's info, right? What's the big deal?

Literally anyone could access a random person's account by clicking a link. Yes, this was an extremely huge deal. People are already trying to downplay this in the other thread.

Jintor

I'm not sure I understand. If it's not a hack, then no one is trying to steal anyone's info, right? What's the big deal?

a shittonne of personal info (account name + email + country of residence etc) just got dumped onto the web accessible to completely random people. whether or not anyone was trying to get it is beside the point really. the problem is basically twofold:

- steam's response time and official dialogue was abysmal
- the fact that this happened entirely by accident instead of intentional breach actually makes their security measures seem more incompetent than if they were attacked directly

justjim89

a shittonne of personal info (account name + email + country of residence etc) just got dumped onto the web accessible to completely random people. whether or not anyone was trying to get it is beside the point really. the problem is basically twofold:

- steam's response time and official dialogue was abysmal
- the fact that this happened entirely by accident instead of intentional breach actually makes their security measures seem more incompetent than if they were attacked directly

That's fair point, yeah. I understand better now. Valve has always had pretty shitty customer service, to be sure.

I guess I'm just not too worried on my end cause I'll just keep an eye on my bank account and immediately call my bank if any suspicious purchases are made.

Like, it's shitty on Valve and really makes them look incompetent. But I suppose I don't really see how it puts anyone in danger.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I have a lot of respect for Valve and their creative process but their customer service and support infrastructure is completely unacceptable for a platform of its significance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom