• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

I mean, it is less than 3 hours since that first post in Gaming. Even if someone personally disturbed Gaben from his post turkey dinner coma it would take a little longer than this to work out what went wrong and fire up the PR machine. Spend some time sharpening your pitch forks and give them until morning.

I mean, it is less than 3 hours since that first post in Gaming. Even if someone personally disturbed Gaben from his post turkey dinner coma it would take a little longer than this to work out what went wrong and fire up the PR machine. Spend some time sharpening your pitch forks and give them until morning.

Something is seriously wrong at Valve if they're relying on a single person to respond to this situation. They've gotta be mobile and active 24/7 to ensure the security of their millions of users. Plus the whole issue of this thing called "communication."

This isn't some little mom&pop shop. It's a gigantic company; the top digital game storefront in the world. Standards must be met and upheld.

f0rk

This isn't some little mom&pop shop. It's a gigantic company; the top digital game storefront in the world. Standards must be met and upheld.

They aren't actually gigantic though. They should be much bigger but they prefer to try and get robots to do all the boring stuff they don't want to think about.

Like compare them to Riot or Blizzard who have hundred's of people dedicated to support functions.

They aren't actually gigantic though. They should be much bigger but they prefer to try and get robots to do all the boring stuff they don't want to think about.

Adam Savage's "I reject your reality and subsitute in my own" philosophy can only go so far.

Wow, Is it too late for Giant Bomb to re-deliberate the nominations for the Hottest Mess category?

GotY Corrections in January 2016. Believe.

giphy.gif

Like compare them to Riot or Blizzard who have hundred's of people dedicated to support functions.

I give Riot alotta shit for their pipeline style of production
I give Riot alotta shit for their balance of the game
I give Riot alotta shit in general

But one thing Riot does right, is letting the user know when there's something fucked going on. Their support is top notch, the times I've had to open tickets I'd get responses within hours, and usually it'd be extremely helpful.

Valve is probably a significantly bigger company than Riot in terms of money that they make. Probably. Either way, it's completely unacceptable that their support still sucks.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh.... I should have expected that all the good delivery restaurants would be closed tonight...

I guess Dominos is my only option.

Oh well. Time to watch Kingdom of Heaven for the first time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Polygon gave The Taken King their #6 GOTY. It is better than Life Is Strange and Splatoon and Rocket League

Brad is going to win

TraBuch

Banned
Speaking of Kingdom of Heaven, god I love Eva Green. I could watch anything with her in it. Except for Camelot. Holy shit did that show suck. Such a huge disappointment.

daydream

Banned
you know what movie only has one cut? paris texas (gonna watch it now)

Pretty sure they got hacked once. Does anyone remember what happened?

did they? i remember them mentioning/tweeting(?) that there had been attempts to hack them but i don't recall those attempts succeeding

popo

There have been an awful lot of good games out this year that I could play - and yet here I am deciding between the freshly installed Witcher 1 and Mass Effect 3.

Something is seriously wrong at Valve if they're relying on a single person to respond to this situation. They've gotta be mobile and active 24/7 to ensure the security of their millions of users. Plus the whole issue of this thing called "communication."

There will be a staff on but I doubt they have a 24/7 holiday PR presence and nobody is going to make a public statement before the bosses weigh in. An official "we on this" statement would have been nice but also nothing more than a panacea. I would rather they worked on the actual problem.

Give them until morning for what?

A number of people wanted to know why Valve had not put out anything official.

did they? i remember them mentioning/tweeting(?) that there had been attempts to hack them but i don't recall those attempts succeeding

They did but if I recall they only got passwords that were all encrypted so it didn't go anywhere.

Bacon

There will be a staff on but I doubt they have a 24/7 holiday PR presence and nobody is going to make a public statement before the bosses weigh in. An official "we on this" statement would have been nice but also nothing more than a panacea. I would rather they worked on the actual problem.

Putting out a PR statement that acknowledges the issue would not take away from them working on fixing the problem.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck any movie that has more then one cut released.

Blade Runner. Also with that movie, it's DC or final cut, you'd have to go out of your way to watch any other version at this point, and both are fine.

kvk1

A number of people wanted to know why Valve had not put out anything official.

A simple "We are aware of the issue, and are looking into it. No official statement as of yet." from a Valve affiliated mouthpiece would have been enough. No need to wait any amount of time for that.

The total silence just allows for a bunch of unsubstantiated Reddit/Twitter/etc. FUD to take center stage among the panic.

Putting out a PR statement that acknowledges the issue would not take away from them working on fixing the problem.

A simple "We are aware of the issue, and are looking into it. No official statement as of yet." from a Valve affiliated mouthpiece would have been enough. No need to wait any amount of time for that.

The total silence just allows for a bunch of unsubstantiated Reddit/Twitter/etc. FUD to take center stage among the panic.

When something on this scale happens it's kind of crazy that a simple acknowledgement statement still isn't put out after 3 hours.

Zaph

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you're all having a lovely day.

Now, what is this Valve nonsense and do I need to do anything? Kinda crazy they haven't just unplugged steam.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you're all having a lovely day.

Now, what is this Valve nonsense and do I need to do anything? Kinda crazy they haven't just unplugged steam.

I think this is the latest update

What we know so far

• Most likely an error in the way Steam caches pages.
  • People are able to access random Steam profiles and see compromising information, account names, emails, last 2 digits of credit card, paypal email address, purchases, etc.
  • Full addresses and phone numbers were able to be accessed.
  • No changes can be made to the effected account, no purchases can be made. Any evidence to the contrary is, as of yet, unsubstantiated.
  • It's been advised to not access Steam URLs, including the client, until we have more information.
  • Do not post account names you see, huge security risk.
  • Do not log into Steam to unlink your Paypal. If you feel the need, can be done from the actual Paypal website.
  • Reminder: Steamdb is not affiliated with Valve in any way.

bJK2asd.png

owZ6BYU.png

3lbQyvr.png

I'll update this post with more information going forward.

Most tech companies I work for/with are pretty cagey with info when things go sideways, but all of them/us at least acknowledge that we're looking into things. Even as a token gesture it's kind of the bare minimum thing you should do.

daydream

Banned
the terrible secret valve is hiding from us is that steam has taken on a life of its own

they're not actually controlling it anymore

we're all doomed

but until then, let's enjoy some sales, shall we?

Brashnir

the terrible secret valve is hiding from us is that steam has taken on a life of its own

they're not actually controlling it anymore

we're all doomed

but until then, let's enjoy some sales, shall we?

The only way to keep is down is by forcing it to use all its processing power for sales and trading cards. That way it can't turn its immense power on us.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
See this is why I don't save my credit card numbers on steam.

Mostly because I have self control issues.

But stuff like this is a nice perk as well.

daydream

Banned
See this is why I don't save my credit card numbers on steam.

Mostly because I have self control issues.

But stuff like this is a nice perk as well.

yeah

though paypal is only moderately mitigating my self-control issues

bought invisible inc. and some other stuff yesterday. i'm done now, though (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom