• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sort of file is this Beastcast? It's not an MP3, it's showing up as a .BEASTCAST file which is terrifying to think about.

The idea of every video and podcast they put out having different weird codecs and filetypes that we have to download and puzzle out how to play through community collaboration just made me laugh.

daydream

Banned
if

tumblr_nro1enskFP1qeuiqyo2_500.gif

doesn't take best new character this year, beast will have failed

daydream

Banned
still catching up on podcasts (currently in november) but i'm curious to hear the latest beastcast. no idea if i will like it or not, don't really hold radio dramas in high regard

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Just rename it to.mp3, it's just a weird mistake.

Hey, can y'all tell me exactly how the file name is showing for you? Internally it looks like a .mp3 and there aren't any other periods in the file name, so I'm not sure how to fix this. (And it's Christmas, so I'd love to not bother Vinny.)

daydream

Banned
after redownloading, it's got the right format and file name and everything. so seems like it's fixed now

happy holidays, austin!

still catching up on podcasts (currently in november) but i'm curious to hear the latest beastcast. no idea if i will like it or not, don't really hold radio dramas in high regard

The more I listen, it sounds like they are brainstorming ideas for a movie rather than the improv drama I thought it might be at the start. I think the rules of the game are having them debate each other's ideas more than simply running with and adapting to the ideas as they get introduced. It works in places and does not work in others for me. It's a fun one off thing.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Merry XMas. I hope everyone is enjoying copious amounts of alcohol to help ease the burden that is spending too much time with family. Or maybe that's just me.

TraBuch

Banned
Austin really needs to stop explaining everything to everyone
Kind of a necessary evil considering this is the first time they're playing this. I'll be a bit more concerned if he keeps doing it five episodes in (if they decide to make this type of thing a feature). The Adventure Zone, the best D&D podcast out there, had a lot of Griffin explaining things for the first couple episodes.

I just got to the Fantasy Costco part of adventure zone and I now love this podcast. Just took a while to get there.

Extreme Teen Bible.

TraBuch

Banned
I just got to the Fantasy Costco part of adventure zone and I now love this podcast. Just took a while to get there.

Extreme Teen Bible.
I was enjoying it the first few episodes but I knew I was totally in in the episode where they met Magic Brian. When he disguised himself as the guy they were looking for but Griffin used the same Germanish accent, I think I laughed for a full minute. Was caught so off guard.

KingKong

Kind of a necessary evil considering this is the first time they're playing this. I'll be a bit more concerned if he keeps doing it five episodes in (if they decide to make this type of thing a feature). The Adventure Zone, the best D&D podcast out there, had a lot of Griffin explaining things for the first couple episodes.

It gets much better later on for sure, he probably feels the need to make sure this all works but ended up taking over scenes in the first half hour or so

Well hooooly shit, looks like I'm going to PAX East in April. My fiancée bought the three-day passes and plane tickets for Christmas. Anyone have any lodging recommendations?

kingocfs

Well hooooly shit, looks like I'm going to PAX East in April. My fiancée bought the three-day passes and plane tickets for Christmas. Anyone have any lodging recommendations?

Holiday Inn Brookline. There's a green line train stop right outside of the hotel and they do shuttles to and from the convention center.

Xeteh

Looking forward to listening to 20 hours of GOTY podcasts while grinding through Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's a simple life but a happy one.

I started Xenoblade the other day and I'm finding it super overwhelming. I like the bit that I have played but I feel like I'm screwing up/missing something.

I started Xenoblade the other day and I'm finding it super overwhelming. I like the bit that I have played but I feel like I'm screwing up/missing something.

Its a very overwhelming game at first, but you'll start to slowly figure things out as you go. The manual helps, but the game isn't really hard so you can explore a lot with the class/skill/arts/soul voice to see what works best for you.

It reminds me a bit of Xenosaga 1 with its large number of systems/mechanics in the menu, but it feels like everything is a lot more useful in Xenoblade X, unlike Xenosaga 1.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I need your help.

It's SUPER vague but I'm trying to remember the title of a song that I have stuck in my head...

All I can remember is that they keep repeating "The reckoning... The reckoning". Or something like that.

jaina

I still haven't bothered with augments, or soul voice adjustment. If there's a tough enemy I grind a few levels. I often do missions with a far lower requirement than my own level.
Most tension comes when you've sneaked past a lot of powerful beasts and haven't reached a fast travel point yet.

I still haven't bothered with augments, or soul voice adjustment. If there's a tough enemy I grind a few levels. I often do missions with a far lower requirement than my own level.
Most tension comes when you've sneaked past a lot of powerful beasts and haven't reached a fast travel point yet.

Augments in the early game are pointless since you can't really make anything with low level items that you find/get from monsters. Its not like like mid game when things open up in the augment shop and you can make a lot of good things. I got an EXPIII Augment to use when I have a 4th party member that's usually lower level than the rest of my MC/Lin/Elma party.

Xeteh

Its a very overwhelming game at first, but you'll start to slowly figure things out as you go. The manual helps, but the game isn't really hard so you can explore a lot with the class/skill/arts/soul voice to see what works best for you.

It reminds me a bit of Xenosaga 1 with its large number of systems/mechanics in the menu, but it feels like everything is a lot more useful in Xenoblade X, unlike Xenosaga 1.

I guess a lot of it comes down to not knowing what skills are worth upgrading, what class to go with (though your choice isn't final its not a big deal but I feel like I wasted BP) and for some of the quests not knowing where certain items are found and tracking it doesn't seem to help.

I guess a lot of it comes down to not knowing what skills are worth upgrading, what class to go with (though your choice isn't final its not a big deal but I feel like I wasted BP) and for some of the quests not knowing where certain items are found and tracking it doesn't seem to help.

Rule of thumb for collectathon quests is just to accept as many as you can (max is 20) and they'll end up taking care of themselves as you find a bunch of items while exploring. I find myself completing a number of those kind of quests while doing other stuff. Alternatively, for any important quests where you might have to collect something, google/GAF OT is your friend.

Skills just unlock as you rank up the classes, but you can switch any you'd like whenever so its not a big deal. As for Arts, you get enough BP to level up anything low level quickly, but usually I tend to level up the arts that seem the most useful to reduce the cooldown time on them. And for selecting arts, just equip the ones that you like the most. There's probably a way to min/max efficiency, but like I mentioned, the game isn't hard.

Classes are the same way. Pick what you want and have fun with it. The beginner class (the one with the longsword/assault rifle) is a real good one for damage, but I personally went with galatic knight since the beam sword/photon launcher combo looks real cool and is pretty good for damage/healing. Just remember when your class hits rank 10 to upgrade to the next class since you hit the cap at that point.

justjim89

Loving this week's Beastcast, a little over halfway through. It does have an odd start and stop sort of momentum since they're still learning the game, but if it were to continue I think it could be really something. I kind of like how they're kind of pitching it like a movie.

Xater

Loving this week's Beastcast, a little over halfway through. It does have an odd start and stop sort of momentum since they're still learning the game, but if it were to continue I think it could be really something. I kind of like how they're kind of pitching it like a movie.

That's the whole point of Fiasco. The rules even speak of scenes and stuff like that. It's a great light RPG that can be played in just one session.

New video card came with choice of R6:S or AC:U, I'm guessing Unity is the smart choice if I'm not too interested in multiplayer?

Do you mean AC: Syndicate? Either one seems like a good pick, R6 has a pretty decent single player terrorist hunt mode but it's probably not enough content to keep anyone interested for as long as Syndicate would.

Nishastra

Banned
Rule of thumb for collectathon quests is just to accept as many as you can (max is 20) and they'll end up taking care of themselves as you find a bunch of items while exploring.
I actually do the opposite. Since the items are just around whether you have the quest or not, I never actually take them. Whenever I got back to NLA after a long time out, I check to see if I've already completed any.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This sort of thing works best with people who have a good sense of cinema. Alex's whole Rembrandt heist is a perfect example

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've restarted MGScanlon V. Now that I'm 80+ hours into the game myself I feel like I can start watching this for the first time.

I actually do the opposite. Since the items are just around whether you have the quest or not, I never actually take them. Whenever I got back to NLA after a long time out, I check to see if I've already completed any.

I accept them since when you pick up the item for the quest and have the quest accepted, a notification will pop up on the left side of the screen with like a "1/6 item collected" indicator, so usually I'll just hang around that spot for a minutes picking up the rest to complete the quest.

Xeteh

Rule of thumb for collectathon quests is just to accept as many as you can (max is 20) and they'll end up taking care of themselves as you find a bunch of items while exploring. I find myself completing a number of those kind of quests while doing other stuff. Alternatively, for any important quests where you might have to collect something, google/GAF OT is your friend.

Skills just unlock as you rank up the classes, but you can switch any you'd like whenever so its not a big deal. As for Arts, you get enough BP to level up anything low level quickly, but usually I tend to level up the arts that seem the most useful to reduce the cooldown time on them. And for selecting arts, just equip the ones that you like the most. There's probably a way to min/max efficiency, but like I mentioned, the game isn't hard.

Classes are the same way. Pick what you want and have fun with it. The beginner class (the one with the longsword/assault rifle) is a real good one for damage, but I personally went with galatic knight since the beam sword/photon launcher combo looks real cool and is pretty good for damage/healing. Just remember when your class hits rank 10 to upgrade to the next class since you hit the cap at that point.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably play it a bunch during the GOTYcasts... been playing Trails of Cold Steel but that isn't the best game for listening to something else.

I've restarted MGScanlon V. Now that I'm 80+ hours into the game myself I feel like I can start watching this for the first time.

I've only watched episode 1. I'm 115 hours into the game and rushing to finish it before wor...uh...best story discussion. I can't help but do every side quest first!

Its also funny that the 'hard mode' of missions means no reflex, chicken hat or air strikes...none of which I've used at any point anyway!

Chuck

Still without luck
So I'm not the best with playing mario maker, probably because I never played a ton of the originals. Is it worth going back and playing 3 and world to get a feel for the controls? I played 1 a bunch but never could finish it.

Also my brain can't handle the wall jumps in New.

Xeteh

So I'm not the best with playing mario maker, probably because I never played a ton of the originals. Is it worth going back and playing 3 and world to get a feel for the controls? I played 1 a bunch but never could finish it.

Also my brain can't handle the wall jumps in New.

Hard to say, Jeff mentioned that the games don't feel the same between their originals and Mario Maker. I'd say if you want to go back and check out 3 and World that they're two amazing games and still really fun to this day. Otherwise, just playing Mario Maker should be fine, you'll get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom