• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

Oracle of Ages was my favorite of the Oracle games, though maybe it's a bit shorter than Seasons?

I remember it being the other way around but I think thats because Seasons has a more straightforward structure so its easier to rush through if you want.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I got Seasons when it came out and loved it, but now I remember absolutely nothing about it. Those are like the most-overlooked Zelda games. Even Minish Cap gets talked about more than them, although they're all good. I think the only game I stopped playing because it wasn't good was Spirit Tracks.

Eh, not sure I'd say that; until I played it last year I'd heard a ton of negative stuff about Minish Cap, and man, that couldn't be further from the truth. Other than it having "only" 6 dungeons or whatever, it's a gem and it gets a lot of flak for no good reason whatsoever. If only Nintendo had gone in that direction for the DS games...

I feel like the Oracle games are overlooked mostly because when people think of GB Zelda, they think of Link's Awakening, but people recognize they're good games whenever they come up in conversation. Also they were released super late into the GBC life, no? They even had a couple of easter eggs when played on a GBA, IIRC. But yeah it's not like they're the targets of underserved hate like I've seen Minish Cap be plenty of times.

Bowlie

Banned
Everyone knows the Souls rankings go

Dark Souls 1

A massive gap

Bloodborne
Demon's

An even BIGGER Gap

Dark Souls 2

if read from upside down, maybe. haven't played bloodborne though

---

so, anyone has this problem where you pause a GB video, switch to another tab, switch back and as you move the cursor down to click on the video, you accidentally open one drop-down menu and click that? just did that

Curufinwe

good on Austin for trying to make some sense of this stuff but I'm just watching this feeling totally lost.

but laserrrrs

getting yelled at by people who collectively think the 4th best Souls game is GOTY sounds like a blast but I'll pass

Aww, someone's bitter that Bloodborne won. How sad.

They absolutely are the most overlooked Zeldas and it's sad as hell. When taken together, Seasons and Ages might be my favorite 2D Zelda game. They have so many interesting ideas and systems and are generally charming as hell.
I should definitely play one (or both) soon. I've had a helluva Zelda itch lately.
Eh, not sure I'd say that; until I played it last year I'd heard a ton of negative stuff about Minish Cap, and man, that couldn't be further from the truth. Other than it having "only" 6 dungeons or whatever, it's a gem and it gets a lot of flak for no good reason whatsoever. If only Nintendo had gone in that direction for the DS games...

I feel like the Oracle games are overlooked mostly because when people think of GB Zelda, they think of Link's Awakening, but people recognize they're good games whenever they come up in conversation. Also they were released super late into the GBC life, no? They even had a couple of easter eggs when played on a GBA, IIRC. But yeah it's not like they're the targets of underserved hate like I've seen Minish Cap be plenty of times.
Huh, I feel like I haven't heard much negativity toward Minish Cap. I thought it was generally thought of as one of the best handheld Zeldas. I started playing it a bit last year on 3DS, and the art style is so much better than the direction the series ended up going.

Myggen

The Witness is out on bombcast day so hopefully they talk about it, because I still dont know wht that game is about

The Quick Look will hopefully make that a bit clearer!

Do we know when the review embargo is up? At the same time the QL goes up on the site?

Catvoca

Banned
I think I'm gonna stay away from the quicklook and the bombast discussion for the Witness. I want go in mostly blind, and I can guarantee Brad will give something big away on the podcast.

Myggen

If people are worried about spoilers you only need to wait for others to report on it in this thread and the comment section.

If you want to go in blind every second of a video of the game is probably a spoiler though.

Frith

yeah i fucking love brad but he, without fail says something i don't want to know.
mabye im super sensitive but i think he just draws the line in a totally diffrent place to me

tbh brads already said its good in about as many words as i need

Myggen

yeah i fucking love brad but he, without fail says something i don't want to know.
mabye im super sensitive but i think he just draws the line in a totally diffrent place to me

tbh brads already said its good in about as many words as i need

I seem to remember you overreacting to something that wasn't a spoiler recently, so maybe? Maybe I remember that wrong. Anyways, Brad has that reputation for a reason but more often than not, as with most spoilers, people tend to regard something he says as way worse than it is. As with the shit about the bear attack in The Revenant being a spoiler on a recent Bombcast :p

I hope Dark Souls 3 is good.

Dark Souls 2 felt like the souls equivalent of those level pack CD's you could buy for Duke 3d or Doom back in the day. A few too many parts of it feel real amateur-ish.

Bloodborne was a higher quality package but the lack of different playstyles meant it was 1 play through and over.

Catvoca

Banned
If people are worried about spoilers you only need to wait for others to report on it in this thread and the comment section.

If you want to go in blind every second of a video of the game is probably a spoiler though.

Yeah, the gaf threads are really great about letting people know when they spoil something. I usually don't mind too much but with the way Jonathan Blow's talked about The Witness it seems like he thinks the ideal experience is to go in blind, so I'm going to try and do that.

The problem with Brad and spoilers is that he doesn't think anything is a big spoiler unless he hasn't heard about it yet. Every time he brings up "this cool little thing that I guess is a spoiler but it's just so cool that I'll blurt it out" it's up to the flip of a coin whether the others can stop him in time.

And this is without getting into the whole labyrinth of mechanical spoilers.

The problem with Brad and spoilers is that he doesn't think anything is a big spoiler unless he hasn't heard about it yet. Every time he brings up "this cool little thing that I guess is a spoiler but it's just so cool that I'll blurt it out" it's up to the flip of a coin whether the others can stop him in time.

And this is without getting into the whole labyrinth of mechanical spoilers.
But if he hasn't heard it yet he's like "DON'T TELL ME DON'T TELL ME"

(I love you Brad, but you could use a little bit more tact here)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What is there to spoil for The Witness? It's a puzzle game with some subtle story stuff. I mean he will probably spoil how the puzzles work, but that's....what I want to hear.

hamchan

"At the end of the Witness it turns out the human race is the witness to our Earth slowly dying due to pollution"
-Brad Shoemaker on the Witness release day

on the other hand, I doubt I'll be getting to The Witness for a long time if ever so spoil away as far as I'm concerned. spoilercast?

Yakuza Kiwami is waiting for me and I'm not even done with 5 yet :\

Catvoca

Banned
What is there to spoil for The Witness? It's a puzzle game with some subtle story stuff. I mean he will probably spoil how the puzzles work, but that's....what I want to hear.

Some people in the Witness thread alluded to big stuff that changes how you view the game and it's puzzles. It seems that there is a whole lot more to the game then meets the eye. And personally I don't want to get puzzle solutions spoiled either!

Myggen

We know so little about it that it's difficult to predict. I'm sure it won't all be line puzzles. In general I don't care much about spoilers, with some exceptions I'm of the school that thinks that if something is ruined by spoilers it probably wasn't good to begin with. I knew pretty much all of Breaking Bad before watching it, it's still one of my favourite shows.

When discussing something I think people, unless they give out spoiler warnings, should try to walk a middle ground: Discuss things freely, but try to not talk about bigger spoilers. It's a difficult line to walk though, if you're too afraid of spoilers the discussion gets worthless with people just dancing around everything.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I guaran-fucking-tee you there is more to The Witness than you think.

Yeah, but Brad wouldn't spoil something major. Everytime I see people freaking out because he spoiled something I usually wouldn't even notice it. I'm sure he spoiled something serious at some point, but all I can think about are people freaking out because he "spoiled" the ending of Dead Island during a Dead Island DLC QL.

Some people in the Witness thread alluded to big stuff that changes how you view the game and it's puzzles. It seems that there is a whole lot more to the game then meets the eye. And personally I don't want to get puzzle solutions spoiled either!

Then you shouldn't listen to any conversation about the game. There are like 600 puzzles in the game, in order to describe a puzzle game you HAVE to talk about at least some puzzles.

I thought Austin did a good job of not spoiling things for a game that has a lot to be spoiled in his Undertale review. Basically opening with like "hey, this game is best played if you know as little as possible, and I think you should play it. So go do that. If you don't care, read on."

Has anyone here used Tabletop Simulator to play games like Catan or Seven Wonders? Just discovered it was possible, and very much considering buying it to get my old group back together from across the country. Is it a good experience?

Mechanical spoilers are seriously a thing worth considering. Knowing how a mechanic works can absolutely change a person's experience with a game.

And yeah, of all the people on staff, I'd say Austin has the most consideration for both plot and mechanical spoilers. He's a cool guy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom