• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I would argue that Game of Thrones only value is the twist stuff, but that's unrelated and has more with it not being that great of a show.

With Star wars, if someone told me what happened without me asking to hear it I still think I would be annoyed, even though I agree it wouldn't make me enjoy the film less.
At some point I don't want everything spoiled for me, there is value in going through something without having any other knowledge of it.

When I talk about GoT, I'm speaking as a book reader. I don't think the show is very good. If a fiction has value to me, it can't purely be on surprise. That's bad writing. For Game of Thrones, I do have an attachment to the characters and those moments work regardless if the surprise is there.

It's why I give zero shits about spoilers. If a moment is truly great, it will work whether the surprise is there or not.

Is there some value in going in un-spoiled? Sure. Some. Spoiler culture is so obnoxious now that I place absolutely zero stock in that value anymore.

Heimbeck

Banned
When I talk about GoT, I'm speaking as a book reader. I don't think the show is very good. If a fiction has value to me, it can't purely be on surprise. That's bad writing. For Game of Thrones, I do have an attachment to the characters and those moments work regardless if the surprise is there.

It's why I give zero shits about spoilers. If a moment is truly great, it will work whether the surprise is there or not.

Yeah I haven't read the books but the show is pretty bad with that stuff, I would rather someone telling me what happened than actually watching it.

But I still think not knowing about something has value to it, even if the degree to which some people go about avoiding them is really dumb.

yami4ct

Yeah I haven't read the books but the show is pretty bad with that stuff, I would rather someone telling me what happened than actually watching it.

But I still think not knowing about something has value to it, even if the degree to which some people go about avoiding them is really dumb.

I think there is value there, yes. My problem with it is that spoiler culture has really hurt otherwise valuable discussions. I don't think that value evens out.

Like, I mark spoilers. I clearly don't want to be the asshole that spoils things. I just think everyone needs to take like 15 steps back when it comes to caring about that stuff.

Tubobutts

I don't care at all about spoilers but I'm not going to go out of my way to spoil something if somebody does care. It does get annoying when people go overboard with their avoidance. I don't remember what it was exactly but people got mad at Brad for spoiling something which you would only know was a spoiler if you played whatever game he was talking about. So the people complaining about spoilers were doing more "harm" than Brad was.

When people cared about Lost, I had a friend who hung up on me because he thought I spoiling Lost when I was just recounting the events of the Star Wars OT.

Heimbeck

Banned
I think there is value there, yes. My problem with it is that spoiler culture has really hurt otherwise valuable discussions. I don't think that value evens out.

Like, I mark spoilers. I clearly don't want to be the asshole that spoils things. I just think everyone needs to take like 15 steps back when it comes to caring about that stuff.

Well I can agree with that.
I think really going out of your way to avoid spoiling something is really dumb, and does hurt the discussion.
But I would never want to be the asshole that just spoils things for no reason.

Bowlie

Banned
When people cared about Lost, I had a friend who hung up on me because he thought I spoiling Lost when I was just recounting the events of the Star Wars OT.

oh man, do you remember what he thought he was getting spoiled? Like, "fuck, now I know what Jacob will do in the next season"

---

to stay on topic, Paul's second game it way more amusing than the first one.

Jintor

The issue largely seems to be solved by a) more people marking spoilers and b) the people aggro about spoilers chilling the fuck out once in a while

So, Dan tweeted that he finally had English Muffins (two of them, in fact) for the first time. I replied to him by telling him something my Mom always does with them. She cuts an English Muffin (usually six or eight of them) in half. On each half, she spreads tomato sauce and sprinkles shredded mozzarella cheese and then bakes them in the oven. Boom! English Muffin Pizzas! So crispy. So good!

tVu2B3w.jpg

Joeku

So, Dan tweeted that he finally had English Muffins (two of them, in fact) for the first time. I replied to him by telling him something my Mom always does with them. She cuts an English Muffin (usually six or eight of them) in half. On each half, she spreads tomato sauce and sprinkles shredded mozzarella cheese and then bakes them in the oven. Boom! English Muffin Pizzas! So crispy. So good!

tVu2B3w.jpg

Now there's an idea.

What about also bacon bits?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I mean between that awesome opener and Francesca II, it could go to shit from here on out and I'd still think Drew would be entertained.

Do you think Drew's seen Mortal Kombat enough times to really appreciate the finer points of professional wrestling?

I want an endurance run of Paul playing Aviary Attorney

I had to go and watch the Heavy Rain video they talked about when today's video wasn't enough.

Tubobutts

oh man, do you remember what he thought he was getting spoiled? Like, "fuck, now I know what Jacob will do in the next season"

---

to stay on topic, Paul's second game it way more amusing than the first one.

I can't remember but the weirdest part is that he is the biggest Star Wars fan I know so you think he would have recognized what I was saying.

I like how Paul makes the same weird grunts Dan does while playing games.

At some point here I'm going to have to make the tough decision of whether I would rather play The Witness or Fire Emblem, because there's no way I have time to play them both.

If Bradley gives The Witness 5 stars I might just have to go with that.

Bacon

At some point here I'm going to have to make the tough decision of whether I would rather play The Witness or Fire Emblem, because there's no way I have time to play them both.

If Bradley gives The Witness 5 stars I might just have to go with that.

I'm starting to get the vibe that the witness will be a 5 star game. Brad seems pretty excited about it.

Off-topic, but I have a sneaking suspicion we will hear something about the next major PS4 update very soon. My reasoning:

The first major firmware released on November 13th, 2013 (two days before the release of the PS4. This is Firmware 1.50. Some major things with this were Remote Play and the ability to play Blu-Rays/DVDs, among other important system functionality.

Five months later, on April 30th, 2014, Firmware 1.70 released. This was ShareFactory update, which also allowed users to disable HDCP and stream at 720p.

Six months later, on October 28th, 2014, Firmware 2.00 released. This was the Shareplay update.

Five months later, on March 26th, 2015, Firmware 2.50 released. This was, of course, the long awaited Suspend/Resume update. It also included the Accessibility features.

Six months later, on September 30th, 2015, Firmware 3.00 released. This was the update that added communities, YouTube streaming, cloud storage increase, among other features.

If the five/six/five/six pattern continues, that means that 3.50 should release around five months after 3.00's release. That would be February 2016 (next month).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom