• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Yeah, but Brad wouldn't spoil something major. Everytime I see people freaking out because he "spoiled" something I usually wouldn't even notice it. I'm he spoiled something serious at some point, but all I can think about are people freaking out because he "spoiled" the ending of Dead Island during a Dead Island DLC QL.

There's some examples of him spoiling some pretty big stuff, but those are few and far between. Normally it's people freaking out over very little. But again, I think people have been paranoid with Brad and spoilers since he's had those bigger ones, so many who are sensitive to that stuff just assume the worst.

Catvoca

Banned
Then you shouldn't listen to any conversation about the game. There are like 600 puzzles in the game, in order to describe a puzzle game you HAVE to talk about at least some puzzles.

Yeah, I'm not going to, that's what I posted earlier in the thread. I don't expect them to talk about the game without discussing specific puzzles, that'd be pretty silly, so I'm just going to put the quicklook/podcast discussion on the back-burner until I've played the first few hours of the game.

There's some examples of him spoiling some pretty big stuff, but those are few and far between. Normally it's people freaking out over very little. But again, I think people have been paranoid with Brad and spoilers since he's had those bigger ones, so many who are sensitive to that stuff just assume the worst.

There's also a vast difference between him speaking something on a podcast and him writing something in a review that's going to be edited.

Myggen

Mechanical spoilers are seriously a thing worth considering. Knowing how a mechanic works can absolutely change a person's experience with a game.

I generally disagree. There's some exceptions like Fez, but in most cases that's just spoiler culture taken to an extreme in my view.

I'm out of the loop on this one, what has Brad spoiled?

Bowlie

Banned
do y'all think gb podcast transcripts would be useful?

I recently saw a local podcast feature them and suddenly dozens of listeners who never participated in the community showed up and thank them for it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I generally disagree. There's some exceptions like Fez, but in most cases that's just spoiler culture taken to an extreme in my view.

Yeah, mechanical spoilers are weird. I mean if you can't talk about the mechanics or the story in a game, what else is left? If you are that sensitive about spoilers, the only thing you can really do is only listen to podcasts after you've already played the game.

Zomba13

Watching the "Paul Ryckert's Quick Look Extravaganza 2016" video and just into Ape Escape 2 and I can't handle the boy and girl being voiced by Ash and Misty. It's like, those two voices shouldn't be coming out of those anime characters, they should be coming out of slightly different looking anime characters.

yami4ct

I for one appreciate open spoiler polices on media discussions. I find trying to tiptoe around spoilers to hinder the ability to actually discuss things in a way I don't really enjoy that much.

I mark spoilers because I know people don't agree with me and I don't want to be an asshole to people who do care, but I do wish spoilers weren't always such a stupidly hot button topic.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
do y'all think gb podcast transcripts would be useful?

I recently saw a local podcast feature them and suddenly dozens of listeners who never participated in the community showed up and thank them for it

Anything that makes sorting through 3 hours of audio is welcome. They should work on timestamps first.

Myggen

Yeah, mechanical spoilers are weird. I mean if you can't talk about the mechanics or the story in a game, what else is left? If you are that sensitive about spoilers, the only thing you can really do is only listen to podcasts after you've already played the game.

Yeah. People need to be able to discuss a game at least semi-freely, so unless it's something like Fez I don't think podcasters should care about mechanical spoilers. You should be mindful that some people care very much about spoilers, but there's a limit where it just makes it difficult to discuss a game.

Bowlie

Banned
I haven't seen Star Wars yet, but I asked someone who saw it what was The Big Thing being spoiled by assholes, and that just made me more excited to pick that up in the future.

I think what bothers me is getting spoiled without asking for it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. People need to be able to discuss a game at least semi-freely, so unless it's something like Fez I don't think podcasters should care about mechanical spoilers. You should be mindful that some people care very much about spoilers, but there's a limit where it just makes it difficult to discuss a game.
But some games are the mechanics. Figuring out all the bells and whistles of a Souls game is a big part of the fun, for example.

I wish the Witness had a demo. I'm not sure if I'll $40 like it. And it's one of those darn zeitgeist games, so waiting for a lower price while evading spoilers is tough.

yami4ct

I kind of hope that The Witness is just a really, really big version of Myst. If that game was purely what it appeared to be on the surface, that'd actually be pretty cool.

Dineren

Banned
I for one appreciate open spoiler polices on media discussions. I find trying to tiptoe around spoilers to hinder the ability to actually discuss things in a way I don't really enjoy that much.

I mark spoilers because I know people don't agree with me and I don't want to be an asshole to people who do care, but I do wish spoilers weren't always such a stupidly hot button topic.

This is how I feel. I'd much rather they just talk about whatever they want, spoiler or not (as long as they give a warning at the start of the discussion). The alternative is waiting for a spoiler cast that will probably never happen.

I'm out of the loop on this one, what has Brad spoiled?

I do remember him apparently spoiling something in The Walking Dead that nobody who hadn't played the game would ever have noticed until people in the Bombcast thread started pointing it out to everyone. I also think he mentioned the ending of Bioshock 5 years after it came out.

Myggen

But some games are the mechanics. Figuring out all the bells and whistles of a Souls game is a big part of the fun, for example.

You have to go really out of your way to spoil something like that on a podcast. Like really have an in-depth discussion about it. And even then I have a hard time seeing it as proper spoilers.

But anyways, people have such different concepts of what is and isn't a spoiler that it's almost impossible to discuss. Except for the really obvious ones it's all so subjective.

yami4ct

This is how I feel. I'd much rather they just talk about whatever they want, spoiler or not (as long as they give a warning at the start of the discussion). The alternative is waiting for a spoiler cast that will probably never happen.

My preferred method would be to just let whatever is going to be discussed come up naturally and then just label it in the show notes later. Taking time to say 'spoiler warning' can be a big enough detractor to the discussion. If people don't read the show notes, that's on them.

well he did do the "let me just say the ending of Broken Age part 1 even though it literally came out this week on console" which even Jeff stopped him for

Myggen

If it's one thing I learned it's that people who feel they've been spoiled by someone or something really hold a grudge about it.

yami4ct

If it's one thing I learned it's that people who feel they've been spoiled by someone or something really hold a grudge about it.

I think the fact that people get so indignant about spoilers is why I could not care less about spoiler warnings. I was out once people started bitching about spoilers for real life events.

yami4ct

Don't spoil the Republican debate for me bro.

Yep. Those kinds of people are the absolute worst. If you can't watch a live event live, it becomes your responsibility to avoid twitter and such until you can. Either that or just take spoilers when they come and move on.

Slight corollary. Slightly less worse but still bad people, people who bitch about spoilers for real life happenings surrounding major documentary series. People complaining about real life spoilers for stuff like Making a Murder, The Jinx, Serial, etc.

for real? maybe this term is being overused

Yep. People bitch about spoilers all the time now for debates, sports events, live reality show finales etc.

Heimbeck

Banned
I think the fact that people get so indignant about spoilers is why I could not care less about spoiler warnings. I was out once people started bitching about spoilers for real life events.

I mean, there are still pricks who just go into something unrelated and spoil Star Wars or GoT etc.
Not that Brad has done that... yet.

I'm wondering what that company that advertises on the bombcast where they deliver ingredients is. A friend mentioned another service and now I'm wondering. I remember it had a disappointing offer like one free meal or one day or something.

yami4ct

I mean, there are still pricks who just go into something unrelated and spoil Star Wars or GoT etc.
Not that Brad has done that... yet.

At some point, though, who cares? Like, Star Wars and GoT are so much more than their significant plot twists. The only reason people go out of the way to be assholes about spoiling things for people is that people get so worked up over every little thing they consider a 'spoiler'.

I'm wondering what that company that advertises on the bombcast where they deliver ingredients is. A friend mentioned another service and now I'm wondering. I remember it had a disappointing offer like one free meal or one day or something.

There are two major ones that advertise on podcasts all the time. Blue Apron is the one I remember. Not sure if they've done the Bombcast, though. I totally forget the name of the other meal service that does podcast ads.

tuxfool

Banned
Yep. Those kinds of people are the absolute worst. If you can't watch a live event live, it becomes your responsibility to avoid twitter and such until you can. Either that or just take spoilers when they come and move on.

Imagine one of those spoilerphobes shouting at random strangers on public transport...

Heimbeck

Banned
At some point, though, who cares? Like, Star Wars and GoT are so much more than their significant plot twists. The only reason people go out of the way to be assholes about spoiling things for people is that people get so worked up over every little thing they consider a 'spoiler'.

Saying people ho overboard on reacting to spoilers is something I can agree with, saying that some things are the same when they are spoiled is not.
GoT is pretty all about "OMG shocking twist moment" so it makes sense someone wouldn't want the big moment spoiled for them.

Frith

can't find it myggen i think your talking about my dan hyperbole but then i suppose that would be me overacting to something that wasn't a spoiler :p

i think its fine to chat about stuff otherwise whats the point in having a podcast and its both sides jobs to manage their spoilers don't talk about the big switch half way through without warning (if there is one) and for my part if i don't want to be spoiled i do a blackout thats ok.

in movies reviews they say anything in the first reel is fair game

but if i know i want to play something then all i want is a thumbs up from some one i trust so i will probably not read the review till i'm a few hours in if its a 4 or 5

edit: this is a spoiler about the witness, if you are a crazy person don't read
j blow said on twitter (but i cant find it right now) there is something that could be spoiled in a single sentence so theres something

yami4ct

Saying people ho overboard on reacting to spoilers is something I can agree with, saying that some things are the same when they are spoiled is not.
GoT is pretty all about "OMG shocking twist moment" so it makes sense someone wouldn't want the big moment spoiled for them.

Different is not always worse. Game of Thrones isn't just shock moments. That's not its only value. Even if something major is spoiled for you, seeing it executed still has an effect.

I had the single major moment for The Force Awakens spoiled for me. Did it make that moment less impactful? Not a chance. I still had attachments to the characters involved and that moment felt just as strong as if it were completely blind.

Heimbeck

Banned
Different is not always worse. Game of Thrones isn't just shock moments. That's not its only value. Even if something major is spoiled for you, seeing it executed still has an effect.

I had the single major moment for The Force Awakens spoiled for me. Did it make that moment less impactful? Not a chance. I still had attachments to the characters involved and that moment felt just as strong as if it were completely blind.

I would argue that Game of Thrones only value is the twist stuff, but that's unrelated and has more with it not being that great of a show.

With Star wars, if someone told me what happened without me asking to hear it I still think I would be annoyed, even though I agree it wouldn't make me enjoy the film less.
At some point I don't want everything spoiled for me, there is value in going through something without having any other knowledge of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom