• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off-topic, but I have a sneaking suspicion we will hear something about the next major PS4 update very soon. My reasoning:

The first major firmware released on November 13th, 2013 (two days before the release of the PS4. This is Firmware 1.50. Some major things with this were Remote Play and the ability to play Blu-Rays/DVDs, among other important system functionality.

Five months later, on April 30th, 2014, Firmware 1.70 released. This was ShareFactory update, which also allowed users to disable HDCP and stream at 720p.

Six months later, on October 28th, 2014, Firmware 2.00 released. This was the Shareplay update.

Five months later, on March 26th, 2015, Firmware 2.50 released. This was, of course, the long awaited Suspend/Resume update. It also included the Accessibility features.

Six months later, on September 30th, 2015, Firmware 3.00 released. This was the update that added communities, YouTube streaming, cloud storage increase, among other features.

If the five/six/five/six pattern continues, that means that 3.50 should release around five months after 3.00's release. That would be February 2016 (next month).
This is like when people try to predict GRRM's The Winds of Winter progress.

Wresting dorks, hows the show and will it make for a good PowerBomb Cast?

Definitely. Lots of interesting stuff happened.

At least, until the very end.

And it was a very fun show. 3 solid hours the whole way through, though the rumble itself had some bad moments (basically everything involving Roman until the end)

TraBuch

Banned
The lack of common sense in the RR has always bugged me. League of Nations beats the shit out of Reigns, they leave him outside instead of throwing him in the ring then throwing him out over the top. The Wyatt Family gets eliminated by Lesnar, Bray finally comes and the Wyatt Family come out of nowhere to throw out Lesnar, then they leave. Why the fuck don't they just stay in there and throw everyone out? Why don't stables just go in there and kill everyone?

Yeah yeah, I know, wrestling and logic don't go together.

justjim89

The lack of common sense in the RR has always bugged me. League of Nations beats the shit out of Reigns, they leave him outside instead of throwing him in the ring then throwing him out over the top. The Wyatt Family gets eliminated by Lesnar, Bray finally comes and the Wyatt Family come out of nowhere to throw out Lesnar, then they leave. Why the fuck don't they just stay in there and throw everyone out? Why don't stables just go in there and kill everyone?

Yeah yeah, I know, wrestling and logic don't go together.

At that point, you have to stop thinking of it as an athletic competition, in kayfabe. It's a shitty popcorn flick with popcorn flick contrivances. Why didn't the villain just shoot the hero in the head when he had him captured? Why didn't the heroine just call the police when she found evidence of her ex-husband's murders? The Wyatt Family didn't ensure Bray Wyatt's victory, because Wyatt wasn't written to win. He played his part and furthered his own story in eliminating Lesnar. It's shitty writing, but it's not necessarily just a 'lolwrestling' sort of shitty.

At that point, you have to stop thinking of it as an athletic competition, in kayfabe. It's a shitty popcorn flick with popcorn flick contrivances. Why didn't the villain just shoot the hero in the head when he had him captured? Why didn't the heroine just call the police when she found evidence of her ex-husband's murders? The Wyatt Family didn't ensure Bray Wyatt's victory, because Wyatt wasn't written to win. He played his part and furthered his own story in eliminating Lesnar. It's shitty writing, but it's not necessarily just a 'lolwrestling' sort of shitty.

Yeah, the thing to be more frustrated with is not how the League of Nations beat the fuck out of Reigns and left him out there, but how they booked Roman for a stretcher spot to be out for 90% of the match and that was supposed to somehow make him look strong. Like that's just fucking terrible.

I hope the massive pop (probably the biggest of the night outside of AJ's debut) that HHH got when he eliminated Reigns tells creative how badly they fucked Roman's booking since he's become champ.

justjim89

Yeah, the thing to be more frustrated with is not how the League of Nations beat the fuck out of Reigns and left him out there, but how they booked Roman for a stretcher spot to be out for 90% of the match and that was supposed to somehow make him look strong. Like that's just fucking terrible.

I hope the massive pop (probably the biggest of the night outside of AJ's debut) that HHH got when he eliminated Reigns tells creative how badly they fucked Roman's booking since he's become champ.

Especially because Roman has been getting more and more good will with the fans. He's gotten more over in this last year pretty organically, but if he'd have won tonight the way it was written, it would have been ALL gone. The second the fans thought they were giving an easy heroic comeback win to Roman they were done with him. Triple H winning is dumb, but Roman winning the way they booked him would've been insulting.

Dean should've won, honestly. But he outclasses Roman too much.

bigkrev

The only illogical thing in the rumble this year was Kevin Owens and Dean Ambrose being in. Neither guy should be able to walk after the match they had, and of course both are just FINE to be in the Rumble

TraBuch

Banned
What really bothered me was Lesnar just taking that bullshit and walking away. The way he's been written since destroying Cena at Summerslam, he should've immediately jumped back in that ring and just fucking laid out everyone and thrown out Bray and then went out and F5'd Cole a few times and flip a couple tables and throw some car doors.

What really bothered me was Lesnar just taking that bullshit and walking away. The way he's been written since destroying Cena at Summerslam, he should've immediately jumped back in that ring and just fucking laid out everyone and thrown out Bray and then went out and F5'd Cole a few times and flip a couple tables and throw some car doors.

Hopefully they open up RAW with a Paul Heyman speech instead of the usual Authority garbage.

Especially because Roman has been getting more and more good will with the fans. He's gotten more over in this last year pretty organically, but if he'd have won tonight the way it was written, it would have been ALL gone. The second the fans thought they were giving an easy heroic comeback win to Roman they were done with him. Triple H winning is dumb, but Roman winning the way they booked him would've been insulting.

Dean should've won, honestly. But he outclasses Roman too much.

Its hard to see Dean with two titles honestly which is why I kind of checked out at that point. If he had lost the IC title to KO, it would've been a lot more believable that he had a chance.

Jothel

Since when did the Royal Rumble winner just straight up become the champion - rather than going to face the champ at Wrestlemania?

Since when did the Royal Rumble winner just straight up become the champion - rather than going to face the champ at Wrestlemania?

First time this year. It was just a special occasion thing Vince laid out two weeks ago.

Edit: It's happened before? Guess i don't remember.

bigkrev

Gimmick was Vince hates Roman because he beat up HHH in December at TLC, so he's been trying to fuck him for a while now. Title was put on the line, and Roman at 1, in order to fuck Roman as hard as possible

justjim89

Also, Dean Ambrose fucking sucks and I don't get why he's so over.

He's charismatic, entertaining and natural on the microphone in a way most aren't, and has a real grasp on ring psychology and storytelling. He's a bit like CM Punk in that if you look at his matches move for move, they can look a bit sloppy (like that dumb ass rebound before his clothesline) but everything around and between the moves is good. His facial expressions, his vocalizations, his selling, the pacing of the match, etc. He has a lot of the good parts of CM Punk and Jake the Snake in him, at least from where I sit.

Also, the gals apparently love him.

TraBuch

Banned
I'll agree that he's a natural on the mic and is a solid seller, but the moment he does anything on offense, all that goodwill just disappears. The only matches he's even slightly fun to watch in are gimmick matches.

justjim89

I'll agree that he's a natural on the mic and is a solid seller, but the moment he does anything on offense, all that goodwill just disappears. The only matches he's even slightly fun to watch in are gimmick matches.

The man suffers from a debilitating condition known as "Shane O'Mac Punch Syndrome." Hate to see it happen to someone.

Brashnir

All of this Warren attention proves how they missed the mark with their RoF methodology.

They shouldn't be ranking fighting games. They should be ranking fighting game characters.

1. Warren
2. Ten Count
3. Goldrock
4-Infinity. Who cares?

TraBuch

Banned
All of this Warren attention proves how they missed the mark with their RoF methodology.

They shouldn't be ranking fighting games. They should be ranking fighting game characters.

1. Warren
2. Ten Count
3. Goldrock
4-Infinity. Who cares?
If we're being serious, Terry Bogard would win, right?

jaina

Man... Fuck Twitter tonight... Between Football and Wrestling... Might as well shutdown the whole thing.
Did a very quick scroll past everybody's Football, Wrestling and X-Files stuff.. then read only the #RR tweets from Alex, Austin and Jeff.

Also, I'm playing Oracle of Seasons right now. My issue is that I'm still getting lost a lot in the world, with only 1 dungeon left. Even the guides confuse me..
But it rekindled my love for Roc's feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom