• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler: There's puzzles.

1534.gif

Thanks for the spoilers.

Every time I buy a physical game I end up down the road just buying the digital version because I figure I will play it more if I don't have to switch the disc. I own 2 copies of a few games I don't really play much...

SummitAve

Banned
So. I'm going to play the Witness and I'm not sure if I should watch the quick look. Any spoilers? Other than a couple puzzle spoilers I guess.

They just go through some of the beginning tutorialish puzzles and walk around the world for a bit. There's not a lot of yucks, Jeff seems into it, and Brad refrains from telling or showing too much. Game looks good. If you're already planning on buying and playing it I wouldn't watch the quick look. Watch it after playing a bit if you really want to.

the only time I care about physical copies these days is if it's a console game and it's huge. I bought Wolfenstein 2014 on disc so I wouldn't have to download 50gb over PSN

I like the concept of The Witness but I'm not sure I have dozens of hours of line puzzles in me, no matter how far they take the concept.
the only time I care about physical copies these days is if it's a console game and it's huge. I bought Wolfenstein 2014 on disc so I wouldn't have to download 50gb over PSN
Gabe Newell and his knives are on my side so even that doesn't matter to me (not that physical PC versions are a thing anyway).

daveo42

Banned
Really wasn't expecting line puzzles to ramp up that quickly. Real ingenious stuff only half way into the QL. I should probably just buy The Witness now.

BearPawB

Banned
some would pay $600 to feel like they're there

I had a really expensive picture I needed a frame for.
As we left the frame store, I told my wife "you realize we could have bought an Oculus Rift with that money, right?" and she, under her breath, said "fuck".

my wife knows nothing about videogames really (she mostly plays MMOs, but she is more hyped for oculus than anyone I know)

As we left the frame store, I told my wife "you realize we could have bought an Oculus Rift with that money, right?" and she, under her breath, said "fuck".

my wife knows nothing about videogames really (she mostly plays MMOs, but she is more hyped for oculus than anyone I know)

dude what picture required that much for a frame

tuxfool

Banned

There are all these anecdotes in VR skeptic threads, where they say "my wife wouldn't want this hideous thing in my house" etc.

However, following Oculus on twitter the retweets are often of new projects with lots of female developers.

LiK

i ordered a frame for $27 for my second Bloodborne litho over the weekend.

Lunar FC

Who would do such a thing

*raising hand emoji* >.<

My god, I hope it was an original Van Gogh for that price.

Strax

Huh? I thought The Witness would have a disc release.
The only reason I buy digital on day 1 is because a new game here costs $90 in store.

justjim89

The Witness seems confounding. Why make this beautiful island to explore if your only means of interaction is abstract puzzles on screens? Like, what's the point? It's like one of my grandma's puzzle books if it had really nice cover art. Maybe I'm missing he point here.

Like, I'm tempted to buy it cause it seems like a Fez sort of deal, where you have to be there for the zeitgeist, but $40 for a puzzle game seems steep for what's there, even if it's 50 hours long.

popo

I wish there was a retail version of the witness.

I still feel iffy on spending 40 on a downloadable game.

Didn't he say they planned one down the line?

This argument is so dumb. 99% of PC games now are digital only. This whole "Oh but it's a downloadable game" thing needs to go away.

He didn't say that. There could be valid reasons to prefer retail. Such as selling/trading or renting in the first place. I hope retail never goes away.

retail for PC games is a fucking joke. you can't resell them, and 99% of the time it's just faster to punch in the code and download it than install via disc. although I got the collectors edition of XCOM for cheap and that came with some fun doodads

BearPawB

Banned
dude what picture required that much for a frame

Custom framing is SUPER expensive.
Especially for fairly big art pieces.
I actually got the framing for like 70% off.

It's a highly collectible piece that I think that has been in my family for decades, but the person who had it last didn't take great care of it. So I asked for the best stuff to preserve a very fragile piece of art. I didn't want the minor damage to keep getting worse.

It is probably now the most
only
expensive thing I own.

The Witness seems confounding. Why make this beautiful island to explore if your only means of interaction is abstract puzzles on screens? Like, what's the point? It's like one of my grandma's puzzle books if it had really nice cover art. Maybe I'm missing he point here.

Like, I'm tempted to buy it cause it seems like a Fez sort of deal, where you have to be there for the zeitgeist, but $40 for a puzzle game seems steep for what's there, even if it's 50 hours long.

Knowing Jonathan Blow and how Braid ended up, I'm assuming the puzzles start extending past the screens and into the physical environment itself.

demidar

retail for PC games is a fucking joke. you can't resell them, and 99% of the time it's just faster to punch in the code and download it than install via disc. although I got the collectors edition of XCOM for cheap and that came with some fun doodads

Some of us don't have good internet T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom