• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

uLdjpQy.png

I'll get right on that.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I wonder if Brad beat it. Quite a few of the reviewers say they got stuck and it gets punishing. Must be tough if you are banging your head against one puzzle and you can't run to gamefaqs as a last resort. I have no problem with people posting reviews without finishing, as long as they say how far they got for context.

I did beat it, after one last 14-hour stretch yesterday. By the end of the last area my coffee table was a mess of notes and some cut-up construction paper my gf made to help visualize some of the late-game stuff.

I love the game to death, but the time pressure and lack of hints made for an experience in that last stretch I don't ever want to have with a review again. (To be fair, I really underestimated how long and difficult the last area was going to be, or I would have stopped messing with optional stuff and gone straight there on Saturday.) After that marathon I've got a good thousand-yard stare going on today. What an incredible game though.

Lunar FC

lmao at this email in the bombcast telling Dan to play Dark Souls however he wants and then immediately after telling him how to play it. Souls fans really will be the root cause of the downfall of civilization.

LiK

I did beat it, after one last 14-hour stretch yesterday. By the end of the last area my coffee table was a mess of notes and some cut-up construction paper my gf made to help visualize some of the late-game stuff.

I love the game to death, but the time pressure and lack of hints made for an experience in that last stretch I don't ever want to have with a review again. (To be fair, I really underestimated how long and difficult the last area was going to be, or I would have stopped messing with optional stuff and gone straight there on Saturday.) After that marathon I've got a good thousand-yard stare going on today. What an incredible game though.

only 14 hours eh? seems doable.

That makes me excited to get into it. It has been a long time since I let a game totally consume me like that. Forgive me if it's in your review (I'm saving reading it until I've finished the game myself), but what was your total playtime?

convo

Can't wait for the podcast, seems Jeff has also played a lot. Will you consider a spoilercast of sorts or the usual 'spoiler warning ' on a future Bombcast?

lmao at this email in the bombcast telling Dan to play Dark Souls however he wants and then immediately after telling him how to play it. Souls fans really will be the root cause of the downfall of civilization.

is he at least using DSFix though? He can play it however he likes but at least bump the resolution and framerate up.

Can't wait for the podcast, seems Jeff has also played a lot. Will you consider a spoilercast of sorts or the usual 'spoiler warning ' on a future Bombcast?

i dont know if telling brad how to handle spoilers has ever worked lol

This just sold me on the game more than anything. I'm a slut for games that give me a reason to use graph paper.

Myggen

A The Witness spoilercast would be awesome. Dan loves these kind of games too so I'm sure he'll play it. Since there's little to no "story" a spoilercast might be weird, but I think it'll work in that the guys will be able to discuss the games and its best moments/puzzles freely. I'm sure they're gonna dance around it on the Bombcast.

Also, that sounds like one of those old school review experiences Jeff still seem to have nightmares about when talking about the old Gamespot days :p

A The Witness spoilercast would be awesome. Dan loves these kind of games too so I'm sure he'll play it. Since there's little to no "story" a spoilercast might be weird, but I think it'll work in that the guys will be able to discuss the games and its best moments/puzzles freely. I'm sure they're gonna dance around it on the Bombcast.

Yeah, I had the same thought. They're going to be super careful with any kind of Witness talk of the Bombcast so it would be a perfect fit even with few plot spoilers. I don't want to have to wait until GOTY to hear their spoileriffic thoughts!

Please don't get me hyped, Brad. Please don-

200.gif

I feel like this is going to be a great game to go back to everyday for an hour or two till you beat it so I'd understand why, under the limitations of wanting to review a game before release day hits, you'd feel like you don't want to review it again by the end of it all haha.

popo

Yep.

Hope this is the cover:

It is pretty and I really like the shadow silhouette thing but that sand doesn't look right. Looks more like marzipan or play dough. I am sure it is real sand (wet sand clumps like that), it just doesn't quite look how my brain expects it to.

retail for PC games is a fucking joke. you can't resell them, and 99% of the time it's just faster to punch in the code and download it than install via disc. although I got the collectors edition of XCOM for cheap and that came with some fun doodads

I assumed the planned retail release was for the PS4 version. PC physical releases pretty much died when they started including steam codes, or a disc with a steam link on, in the boxes.

Steam prices are pretty flexible though. It PSN and Xbone stores were more like steam, I wouldn't lament the death of retail half as much.

only 14 hours eh? seems doable.

pee-noscale.jpg

Myggen

It is pretty and I really like the shadow silhouette thing but that sand doesn't look right. Looks more like marzipan or play dough. I am sure it is real sand (wet sand clumps like that), it just doesn't quite look how my brain expects it to.

For that art style I think it looks really good.

yami4ct

The Witness sounds amazing and a game I'll be sure to get to sometime over the next year. I'll avoid all the discussion around it until then, but I'm excited to hear that Blow seems to accomplish what he set out to do. Sounds like a really cool thing.

Myggen

Yeah, I hope The Witness is a success so Blow can keep doing his thing. He's such a unique creator in this industry.

On another note, getting Blow on this year's GDC stream would be fantastic.

yami4ct

Brad gon spoil it within the first few next Bombcasts

From what I've read, what makes The Witness cool are the puzzles and there are hundreds of them. It'd be hard to spoil that game to a degree where the experience is super hurt, that is unless you go out of your way to watch LPs and get tons of puzzle solutions.

Yeah, I hope The Witness is a success so Blow can keep doing his thing. He's such a unique creator in this industry.

I really didn't dig Braid, but man The Witness seems up my alley.

FluxWaveZ

Wasn't there something about Jonathan Blow wanting to focus on developing his own programming language after The Witness was done? Wonder if success would change his direction, if that was accurate.

Wasn't really impressed with that QL. Didn't know the entire game was just going to be panel puzzles and they all looked pretty boring.

Might've just been the early game stuff, but it wasn't really a good look.

AJ Styles seems like more of a King of Fighters character then a Tekken character to me.

Definitely.

Myggen

Wasn't there something about Jonathan Blow wanting to focus on developing his own programming language after The Witness was done? Wonder if success would change his direction, if that was accurate.

He's been doing that for quite a while now. Might be something he'll want to focus on going forward, would make sense.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
That makes me excited to get into it. It has been a long time since I let a game totally consume me like that. Forgive me if it's in your review (I'm saving reading it until I've finished the game myself), but what was your total playtime?

I really wish it had a playtime clock (there should be an in-world sundial for this or something) but I'd bet I put 40 hours into it easy. Finished quite a bit more than you have to in order to open up the endgame, but even after all that there are still entire areas and types of puzzles I don't have access to/understand.

LiK

I really wish it had a playtime clock (there should be an in-world sundial for this or something) but I'd bet I put 40 hours into it easy. Finished quite a bit more than you have to in order to open up the endgame, but even after all that there are still entire areas and types of puzzles I don't have access to/understand.

when did you receive your review copy? Witness sounds like Fez. lots of secrets to discover

BearPawB

Banned

are you gonna keep playing? even after your 14 hour misery session?

Awesome. I can't wait to start playing tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom