• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
I wasn't sure from the first shots I had seen, but I really like the graphical style of The Witness. I can't wait to jump in, though if it's like any other puzzle game I'll end up getting stuck halfway through.

Nope it was the moment right around 5 minutes. It's the thing that Jeff stumbles upon. That almost seems like it could be one of those game changing moments or ah ha moments way later in the game.

I have the video currently paused at 4:30 and this is really making me question continuing. I wish I had more self-control.

Someone who's watching the Witness QL, how similar is it to The Talos Principle, if it's more than "sorta kinda" I'll buy it.

The concept of nodes, connecting wires, complexity & open world certainly puts it in the same genre but they look pretty different otherwise IMO.

The puzzles are really different so far.

Not really? It's a puzzle game, but the puzzles look really different from what you did in The Talos Principle. Looks really cool though.

Seems kind of similar but one open world and line puzzles instead of moving objects around.

I might skip around the QL a bit, I've been in the dark completely on this game so I have no frame of reference as to what a line puzzle is lol. Sounds like it would be up my alley, I love puzzle games.

i'm about +3 hours into bionic commando 2009 and i'm not getting jeff's 4 stars. This thing doesn't do anything particularly well, though when the swinging works it can be pretty sweet.

but not 4 stars sweet.

If you want to skip that part (which doesn't seem like a big spoiler) just skip to 5:30.

Am I just being crazy? Speculation:
It makes me instantly think later on in the game you will start seeing spots that you can make lines or see puzzles in the open world and not just on the panels. It just seems like something that you would usually see on like best moment at GOTY time.

Myggen

It makes me instantly think later on in the game you will start seeing spots that you can make lines or see puzzles in the open world and not just on the panels. It just seems like something that you would usually see on like best moment at GOTY time.

This will be the first and last "spoiler" text from me about the QL:
Yeah, that at least looks like something you can use that mechanic on.

tchocky

I read an article/interview last week and
it sounds like that will almost certainly happen

it's plausible but that's also something i just assumed they would do from the word go.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
i'm about +3 hours into bionic commando 2009 and i'm not getting jeff's 4 stars. This thing doesn't do anything particularly well, though when the swinging works it can be pretty sweet.

but not 4 stars sweet.

Aw, I really love that game. The swinging was so much fun. And the story is AMAZING. Probably the best last act in any video game EVER!*

*not actually but it's still pretty great.
Remember when Grin was working on like 8 games at the same time?

Good to hear about the Witness, already bought the game so I'll hold off on watching the QL.

It's gonna be one of those games I'll never finish because I obsess with 100%ing it, but I'm actually too dumb to do that and I won't look up every solution online so I'll probably just quit at some point.

Dineren

Banned
If you want to skip that part (which doesn't seem like a big spoiler) just skip to 5:30.

I went ahead and watched it and yeah, it seems pretty minor.

The actual ability to do it though, I don't think is a spoiler. That seems like something I would have just randomly done at some point on accident and drawn the appropriate conclusions.
Brad does pretty much confirm right after that it will come into play, but that should be pretty obvious once you realize you can do that.

it's plausible but that's also something i just assumed they would do from the word go.

It's something I assumed, but never really thought about how exactly it would be done. If that makes sense?

I went ahead and watched it and yeah, it seems pretty minor.

The actual ability to do it though, I don't think is a spoiler. That seems like something I would have just randomly done at some point on accident and drawn the appropriate conclusions.
Brad does pretty much confirm right after that it will come into play, but that should be pretty obvious once you realize you can do that.

Yeah, I can understand thoughts on it being varied. Brad saying reviewers going for a while not knowing that just makes me think it's just one of those "moments".

I equate it to moving the puzzle for a ledge to jump on in Braid.

I really wish Jeff had been holding the controller when (Witness spoilers)
they walked past the huge wall that was essentially a giant puzzle screen.

I really wish Jeff had been holding the controller when (Witness spoilers)
they walked past the huge wall that was essentially a giant puzzle screen.

Was it
The wall next to the tree that looked like it had a crack you could trace?

Man I wish I wasn't broke until Thursday. Fuck, I really want to dive in.

Man I hope this gets as meta as Fez. Like I'm hoping you start breaking away from the game client itself, like you find a link to Google maps and you have to trace a route through San Francisco to solve one of the puzzles. 4th wall stuff like that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

but not 4 stars sweet.

I really disliked that game. It was mostly mediocre and the poison fog bullshit killed me way too much because it never gave you enough time (or any indication of where the fuck it was safe) to get back to a safe area by the time the message came up. As a result you had no feeling of freedom of movement that the swinging should have provided. That was probably the worst invisible walls solution ever made.

I really disliked that game. It was mostly mediocre and the poison fog bullshit killed me way too much because it never gave you enough time (or any indication of where the fuck it was safe) to get back to a safe area by the time the message came up. As a result you had no feeling of freedom of movement that the swinging should have provided. That was probably the worst invisible walls solution ever made.

yeah, i got killed by an invisible wall ABOVE me. I was like, wtf is happening here and then bam i was dead.

and everywhere is flooded so if you fall in the water you tend to be pretty fucked because spencer sinks like a bag of bricks immediately. all of this makes the moments when the swinging misses really, really suck.

the shooting is pretty garbo, too, and the whole thing has just been kinda okay.

yeah, i got killed by an invisible wall ABOVE me. I was like, wtf is happening here and then bam i was dead.

and everywhere is flooded so if you fall in the water you tend to be pretty fucked because spencer sinks like a bag of bricks immediately. all of this makes the moments when the swinging misses really, really suck.

the shooting is pretty garbo, too, and the whole thing has just been kinda okay.

maaaan everything about that game was awful. Mike Patton being the worst caricature of himself, shitty poison walls, wife-arm, bad shooting, stupid haircuts

when you pass on a game that's being sold for $.99 you know you really really don't like it. thank god for gamefly back then

e: whoops, double post

e2: I'd love to see Dan's reaction to this article: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/22/silicon-valley-500-startups-tech-companies

just a demonic cackle before he starts spinning in circles in his apartment

tuxfool

Banned
Mm. Mkay. Well it's a crappy attempt that really set the tone for the game and defined a character's traits, so in the end it worked pretty damn well.

Just for the record I don't agree with a lot of what anybody says in that thread as it pertains to TLoU. It is laughable that people would put it at the same level as press X to pay respects.

Not quite sold on The Witness after watching the QL, didn't spoil anything I don't think but I guess I'll have to take Brad's word on the depth of it since I didn't really get that from what little they showed.

Also like 90% certain that (Witness)
the fact that there were a couple little white clouds and a dark cloud out of the window at one point means they'll act as the black/white squares and you'll draw a line in the sky

omgkitty

Also like 90% certain that (Witness)
the fact that there were a couple little white clouds and a dark cloud out of the window at one point means they'll act as the black/white squares and you'll draw a line in the sky

Going off reviews
there are puzzles that are dependent on where you are standing in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom