• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

I see how it is. Alex picks the emails for last week's Beastcast and doesn't pick my correction that was correcting him. I see how it is. I'm following the money.

Frith

Hard boiled eggs were a success!

word?

how long you cook them?

coolhandluke-truth1.jpg

I see how it is. Alex picks the emails for last week's Beastcast and doesn't pick my correction that was correcting him. I see how it is. I'm following the money.
Vinny didn't read my VR correction either a couple of weeks ago. They're all on the take for sure.
word?

how long you cook them?

A very precise a while, followed by covering and removing them from heat for a bit, and then plunging them into near-freezing water for some reason.

BearPawB

Banned
eh they can be a bit tricky. Not super difficult but more precision is needed with them then nearly any other egg preparation.

i usually just put eggs and water in pot. boil water, once it hits boiling, turn off heat and wait 12 minutes, and boom, perfect eggs

Frith

Is it possible for anyone
maybe Dan
to screw up hardboiled eggs?

my great aunt got one of the first microwaves in the uk cos she worked for marks and spencer. they tried to hard boil an egg so they put one in for 10 mins cos thats nice and firm.

they never saw a trace of the egg again

from some other thread:

There's a gang of shit you could talk about Super Mario Sunshine. There's half as many levels as Super Mario 64 (but with the same amount of stars so you have a good fifth of the game's shines dedicated to Blue Coin nonsense). On top of that, a lot of the normal shine goals are middling to just outright bad. You have the sand bird, the Chucksters, the watermelon rolling, the leaf piloting, the pachinko, the lame crate smashing minigame (that you do twice), the disappointingly simple final stage, and tedious stuff like getting Yoshi to the one island by Delfino Plaza for fruit or whatever. There's also an abnormal focus on story, with a lot of unskippable cutscenes that don't add particularly much to the game.

Even with all that, I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad game, but you're out of your fucking mind if you think it can go pound-for-pound with any of the other 3D Mario games. It's one of the early examples of Mario games that doesn't come close to the high bar normally set by the series, which is what makes it so disappointing. It's like the backlash to Yoshi's New Island: when a Mario game isn't simply outstanding, it just hurts more because it's so easy to expect that from this series.

I do have to say, though, I enjoy the game less and less as time goes on so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up considering it a bad game some time in the future

nah

Super Mario 3D World is the worst mainline mario game

Super Mario 3D World is one of the purest, best 3D platformers ever made.

All this talk about hard-boiled eggs is just getting my egg intolerance all worked up. Can only eat scrambled eggs, at the very most two, without getting super nauseous.

Jintor

i usually just put eggs and water in pot. boil water, once it hits boiling, turn off heat and wait 12 minutes, and boom, perfect eggs

Full boil at 8 minutes with the lid on usually works for me, but sometimes I can't shell it properly. I've yet to find the 100% reliable combination.

/edit oh, you put the eggs in after boiling? I guess I'll try that. I usually go from cold but I have been having more difficulty with the shelling of late.

LiK

Full boil at 8 minutes with the lid on usually works for me, but sometimes I can't shell it properly. I've yet to find the 100% reliable combination.

put a teaspoon of salt in the water during boil and the shell will come off real easy.

BearPawB

Banned

/edit oh, you put the eggs in after boiling? I guess I'll try that. I usually go from cold but I have been having more difficulty with the shelling of late.

no i go from cold. other people have done the boiling technique though.

seems there are a ton of ways to cook an egg

put a teaspoon of salt in the water during boil and the shell will come off real easy.

I find the real secret is using like, week old eggs.

Fresh eggs never peel for me

Jintor

I think I already mentioned this but the micro-sense of achievement in Kerbal is really addictive. Last night I crashed a probe into the moon but I was psyched (besides, a contract really wanted me to get suborbital test data so I get a lot of money for it).

i wonder if KSP is taxpayer funded? Poor tax paying kerbals.

justjim89

I think I already mentioned this but the micro-sense of achievement in Kerbal is really addictive. Last night I crashed a probe into the moon but I was psyched (besides, a contract really wanted me to get suborbital test data so I get a lot of money for it).

Just you wait for Kerbal Dictatorship Simulator in 2017.

Lijik

alright i know its been a page and we've all moved on but glitchesarecool heres why i think mario sunshine is bad:

okay scatch that. heres the things i think are neat in mario sunshine first:
-as with every mario, it controls really well. in addition the fludd is a clever and unique way to augment marios moveset. as a mechanic is really neat - yeah you can hover and ease the platforming, but its limited by how much water you have which can make things tense in the vertical focused levels where you cant easily refill. you can spray water in front of you to slide. you can collect different nozzles to get different powers. its smart. its rad.
-the hub is smartly laid out and has a lot of cool secrets
-the two worlds that make use of verticality are cool, the fluddless levels are cool
-seeing different parts of the island off in the distance in the worlds is rad
-theres that one guy who has been stranded on an island for like 2 years even though hes ten feet from the shore and thats hilarious

heres why i think mario sunshine is bad:
-for a platformer focused on exploring big playgrounds, its really restrictive in how you can tackle its objectives which is disappointing.
-also most of those playgrounds are really mundane in their layouts. this game has shit like flat ass beaches and a boxy constricted hotel with bad camera angles. you have this really fun to control character and hes constantly tasked with areas that dont really let him make the most use of his abilities
-i dont think even the team knows why they made yoshi spray fruit juice because none of the objectives that involve this are any fun
-this game at its worst is legitimately terrible. the best defense i ever see people pull for most of this shit is that its optional which to me is an outright admission that a large amount of the games content is just plain bad. if shit like the watermelon rolling or the lava boat or the pachinko level or the leaf over poison water level or the level where the dev team is so lazy they just cover an entire beach with goop and go "idk clean it all up in 4 minutes i gotta be out by 5" were in any other game people would write that shit off instantly. if it was in a sonic game ten years ago people would still be bringing it up in every sonic thread. that this shit is in a game made by the best team in the genre who should absolutely be doing better is outrageous!!!
-look you and i know about the blue coins, i aint even going to talk about the blue coins, theres so much other disappointing aspects to this game that i dont even need to bring them up. i wish we lived in a world where the blue coins were the only bad thing about this game.

mario sunshine is a clearly rushed game that happens to have some neat aspects but is ultimately mediocre. if this was a random 3d party platformer like vexx or dr muto or something that would be fine, but also no one would be talking about it because whens the last time we had people talking about vexx or dr muto or something. and thats the fucking thing dawg - we're not talking about some random 3rd party team thats been tasked with a limited budget, we're talking about the best in the motherfuckin biz. its a clear misstep the same way bad sonic games are notable because that dude was on top of the world in the 90s. its not bad because its different its bad because it has really cool ideas but half the time isnt executed well (and thats being light about this games low points).

so there!!!!! yall saying this shit is better than any of the other 3d marios is like austin talking about that dude who thinks the prequels are amazing movies. like sure, his experience isnt wrong but maaaaaaan. i had to write a whole novel cus of yall

I think if you go into the financials tab you can find out who funds you. coming from old school KSP, the career mode bugs me. "oh I can solve this problem FUCK I haven't unlocked that yet"

I think if you go into the financials tab you can find out who funds you. coming from old school KSP, the career mode bugs me. "oh I can solve this problem FUCK I haven't unlocked that yet"

I think career mode pushes you to progress to greater goals better than sandbox. I don't think I'd be interested in the game if it was a challenge for the sake of a challenge. I like the process of running contracts, gaining a bit of science and money, and being able to take on more ambitious contracts, and so on.

I appreciate the write up Lijik.

Also not to bring something back from the grave, I forgot my internet dies if it starts to rain. was in the middle of a nice long post in response and lost it because it just set in.

I think career mode pushes you to progress to greater goals better than sandbox. I don't think I'd be interested in the game if it was a challenge for the sake of a challenge. I like the process of running contracts, gaining a bit of science and money, and being able to take on more ambitious contracts, and so on.

I'm one of those folks who never really had a hard time finding my own fun in games like this, I dunno. if anything I find the challenges strangely restricting.

This summer I'll be moving to a country where I will have limited internet access, and almost certainly no streaming video, for over two years. There are of course a million other things that will be much more of a cultural adjustment but it will be weird not having Giant Bomb as a normal part of my week-to-week life.

demidar

Limiting one's toolset to ensure they don't get overwhelmed and allow them to focus on a small set of tools to first expand knowledge and familiarity is a valid design approach.

(lack of) internet is pretty much the one thing that would prevent me from moving someplace.

there's a lot of other adjustments I could get used to, but losing access to all the shit I get and do online would destroy me

(lack of) internet is pretty much the one thing that would prevent me from moving someplace.

there's a lot of other adjustments I could get used to, but losing access to all the shit I get and do online would destroy me

I don't think any sane person in todays modern world would give up the internet

Fuck, that'd be too much. I'd go insane.

Ya it'll be a weird transition. I do actually kinda look forward to reading a lot more books in my free time now that I won't have internet to constantly distract myself with.

Jintor

If i were playing sandbox I think I would have insufficient incentive to try and do things properly.

that said career mode makes you spam science and that can get a little irritating when things aren't unlocked.

justjim89

tumblr_o1jiicnNlQ1u5eu8ao1_540.png

YES!

Also, friend of the site Xavier Woods got to interact with The Rock and take a People's Elbow tonight. Had to be a dream come true for him.

GavinGT

Banned
Just finished Project B.E.A.S.T. Hopefully they realize soon that you can start turning immediately when launching off Mun. There's no atmosphere to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom