• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tharsis either needs an easy mode or it needs to not be fuck all impossible because holy shit. It almost seemed like those dice rolls were skewed in a way so that they got better the closer alex appeared to be completely doomed

Tharsis either needs an easy mode or it needs to not be fuck all impossible because holy shit. It almost seemed like those dice rolls were skewed in a way so that they got better the closer alex appeared to be completed doomed

It also seemed like the meat dice got a lot higher rolls than normal dice. Unless that is something that comes along with cannibalism that I missed, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of a dice roll.

The witness just gave me actual chills from solving a puzzle. Holy shit this game.

I love it but it's going to be impossible to talk about it until I 100% it or something. I don't want anything to be spoiled.

The witness just gave me actual chills from solving a puzzle. Holy shit this game.

I love it but it's going to be impossible to talk about it until I 100% it or something. I don't want anything to be spoiled.

Yep, I just said out loud "Holy shit!" at realizing what the rules for this on puzzle set was. Only an hour in and it's already incredible.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm loving The Witness so far but it's great at making me feel dumb...

I've been stuck for 10min on what I guess is a tutorial lol.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I do enjoy what I've played so far, but I also have to wonder if the game has enough going for it to keep me coming back. The puzzles just lack the "Oh MAN! OF COURSE!" moment you have in Talos Principle or Portal. And getting stuck is kinda even worse here cause you just stare at some lines, no soundtrack, nothing else to keep you entertained while you try to brute-force the puzzle or try random shit. I'm currently stuck and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be here or not. The "path" clearly led me here, but the game hasn't explained what the hell I'm supposed to do with this red spiderweb puzzle, so now I don't know if I should move on or if I have to figure it out eventually.
I also wish the game had a map, that would let you mark spots so you can come back to it later.

Game looks fucking amazing though.

I've gone to a few places and explored around, and now I'm entirely lost which is not something that happens to me in most games. Its so awesome.

The *CHUNK* sounds of solving puzzles is so so satisfying.

Megasoum

Banned
And if I get stuck on a puzzle I'll be able to turn to the internet for help.

The problem with that is that I feel like he decided on purpose to not put numbers or names or anything like that on the puzzles to make it difficult to search for solutions online. You can probably still find stuff but it's difficult.

The problem with that is that I feel like he decided on purpose to not put numbers or names or anything like that on the puzzles to make it difficult to search for solutions online. You can probably still find stuff but it's difficult.

Within a year, it wouldn't be surprising if someone drew some elaborate map of the game and labelled each puzzle with a number.

Dineren

Banned
I'm looking forward to playing The Witness tonight, but I think it is just going to end up making me feel dumb the entire time.

daydream

Banned
I stuck with it for the initial 2, 3 months but at some point I gave up. Is there anything cool these days?

nope, just more of what you played. main stages have been maintaining a steady level of bs as far as being way too much of a hassle for completely inessential pokemon but you know. it'd be insane to stop now

jaina

My 2.5 hours with the Witness were surprisingly great. Anytime I had doubts the game offered me something. I'm walking around and try to avoid clearing the island inch by inch. But had enough for today. Let's see how long pointing at the screen suffice as pen&paper replacement.

chrixter

I do enjoy what I've played so far, but I also have to wonder if the game has enough going for it to keep me coming back. The puzzles just lack the "Oh MAN! OF COURSE!" moment you have in Talos Principle or Portal. And getting stuck is kinda even worse here cause you just stare at some lines, no soundtrack, nothing else to keep you entertained while you try to brute-force the puzzle or try random shit. I'm currently stuck and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be here or not. The "path" clearly led me here, but the game hasn't explained what the hell I'm supposed to do with this red spiderweb puzzle, so now I don't know if I should move on or if I have to figure it out eventually.
I also wish the game had a map, that would let you mark spots so you can come back to it later.

Game looks fucking amazing though.
Exactly how I feel. Solving the line puzzles hasn't been satisfying enough for me, even when they incorporate the environment in clever and significant ways. It's a little frustrating not knowing whether or not a panel with a new type of line puzzle contains enough information for me to solve it, or if there's a more tutorialized version of it elsewhere that I just haven't discovered yet. Like you said, trial-and-error and brute-forcing in this game isn't as fun as in other puzzle games, partly because in those games you at least know that where you are is where you're supposed to be, whereas The Witness is so non-linear. I'm only 90 minutes in though so obviously my feelings may change as I get a better grasp on the game.

Bowlie

Banned
nope, just more of what you played. main stages have been maintaining a steady level of bs as far as being way too much of a hassle for completely inessential pokemon but you know. it'd be insane to stop now

yuup, I knew that the longer I'd stay playing the harder it'd be to jump out. that pokéballoon game did not grab me, though.

i'm playing nfs no limits for months, help

jaina

Exactly how I feel. Solving the line puzzles hasn't been satisfying enough for me, even when they incorporate the environment in clever and significant ways. It's a little frustrating not knowing whether or not a panel with a new type of line puzzle contains enough information for me to solve it, or if there's a more tutorialized version of it elsewhere that I just haven't discovered yet. Like you said, trial-and-error and brute-forcing in this game isn't as fun as in other puzzle games, partly because in those games you at least know that where you are is where you're supposed to be, whereas The Witness is so non-linear. I'm only 90 minutes in though so obviously my feelings may change as I get a better grasp on the game.
I've certainly had "oh that's the tutorial for the puzzle I solved over there" moments. Feels good though :)
No feature to track "skipped" puzzles is a pity but I try not to think about it.

Brashnir

Played an hour or so of The Witness. Have a headache. I don't think it's from the puzzles, but something about the camera movement walking around the world...

justjim89

Puzzles that deactivate puzzles you solved previously when you fail are fucking evil and tedious. Legit almost refunded the game on Steam when I got to a section that did that. It's not that those were hard puzzles, but walking back and forth between them was so annoying. Especially when you can't take shortcuts off of ledges. I wish the game had more environmental interaction.

I'm only about 2 hours in, and yeah it's pretty and the puzzles can be neat, but right now my impression of it is a resounding "So what?"

Puzzles that deactivate puzzles you solved previously when you fail are fucking evil and tedious. Legit almost refunded the game on Steam when I got to a section that did that. It's not that those were hard puzzles, but walking back and forth between them was so annoying. Especially when you can't take shortcuts off of ledges. I wish the game had more environmental interaction.

I'm only about 2 hours in, and yeah it's pretty and the puzzles can be neat, but right now my impression of it is a resounding "So what?"

Witness seems to be a pure game of playing it to simply play. And that's fine. You don't need a guitar riff or a 'CONGRATULATIONS FOR SOLVING PUZZLE #132131' pop up every time you do something.

And it's ok for a game like Witness to exist.

I made the mistake of taking a glance at The Witness's Steam reviews page, and like every other time I look at a Steam review page, I immediately asked myself what the fuck I was thinking. Almost as bad as Metacritic's user scores.

daydream

Banned
yuup, I knew that the longer I'd stay playing the harder it'd be to jump out. that pokéballoon game did not grabbed me, though.

i'm playing nfs no limits for months, help

i finished rumble world and caught all the pokemon

it was excruciatingly mind-numbing

Lijik

I made the mistake of taking a glance at The Witness's Steam reviews page, and like every other time I look at a Steam review page, I immediately asked myself what the fuck I was thinking. Almost as bad as Metacritic's user scores.

Ive yet to see a game where the top review wasnt some variation on this:

20 people thought this review was helpful
WORST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED
playtime: 0.1 hours

I really want to play The Witness but I can't justify £30 before payday in January!

I'll probably just wait now. If I don't play a game in release week then I usually wait for a price reduction.

I thought Tharsis looked cool for the QL but it seems a bit overblown for what it is. Seems like it could easily be a phone game? It's £12.99 on PSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom