• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Saw Brad's review of the Witness described as Orwellian in a QL comment and thought to myself that it may be one of the most misused words in English.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I made the mistake of taking a glance at The Witness's Steam reviews page, and like every other time I look at a Steam review page, I immediately asked myself what the fuck I was thinking. Almost as bad as Metacritic's user scores.

Or like every consumer review ever?

Like whatever though, you use user reviews to gauge the general temperature of the product.

Or like every consumer review ever?

Like whatever though, you use user reviews to gauge the general temperature of the product.

Well generally, yeah, but Steam is somewhat unique in that you have people who are buying the game just so they can barrage the review page with their specific grievance -- in this case, the $40 price tag -- and then immediately turn around and refund it. The Witness is sitting at 75% positive right now on the day of release which is even more misleading than most consumer review bullshit since a large chunk of that 25% had decided exactly what kind of review they were going to write long before today.

Brashnir

Well generally, yeah, but Steam is somewhat unique in that you have people who are buying the game just so they can barrage the review page with their specific grievance -- in this case, the $40 price tag -- and then immediately turn around and refund it. The Witness is sitting at 75% positive right now on the day of release which is even more misleading than most consumer review bullshit since a large chunk of that 25% had decided exactly what kind of review they were going to write long before today.

I mean, there's an easy way to fix that sort of behavior.

Set a time played threshold on reviews so that you can't review a game until you've played 2 hours of it. 2 hours is the threshold for returns, right?

There aren't many games that can be adequately reviewed after spending fewer than 2 hours with them, anyway.

The Witness seems like a game designed to take that moment from Braid where you realized you could jump on the puzzle piece and give it to you every 15 minutes. Utterly insane.

I doubt that'll be true for me, but my primary interest in it is saving my wrist from mouse-based games and it seems it will do that job just fine.

It's great for mouse games, yeah. It also outperforms dual analog sticks in FPS games, but the Steam controller takes a while to get used to in that capacity.

yami4ct

That Fire Emblem Fates thread. Oh boy. This might be worse than the fantastic Bravely Second thread.

I can't say I didn't expect this blowup over 'censorship' when that stuff was removed, but it always makes me sad to see.

danm999

I find them useful plenty of times when it comes to games that aren't very popular. I play quite a bit of pretty niche stuff. Anything that has any sort of hype around it though? nah.

I mean it's pretty easy to filter out the 0.2h axe to grind reviews yeah.

Dineren

Banned

Does this actually happen? I thought all the info coming out on refunds has shown that very few people actually abuse it.

As for the 75% positive, I would think any review coming out now (aside from that guy at the top with 24 hours played) would be pretty worthless, positive or negative.

hamchan

That Fire Emblem Fates thread. Oh boy. This might be worse than the fantastic Bravely Second thread.

I can't say I didn't expect this blowup over 'censorship' when that stuff was removed, but ti always makes me sad to see.

Back in my day we played Fire Emblem for the good strategy gameplay with an anime storyline. Nowadays it's all about marrying the characters and touching them.

I can't say I didn't expect this blowup over 'censorship' when that stuff was removed, but it always makes me sad to see.

there's some very unsurprising avatars making some very unsurprising statements in that thread

Does this actually happen? I thought all the info coming out on refunds has shown that very few people actually abuse it.

As for the 75% positive, I would think any review coming out now (aside from that guy at the top with 24 hours played) would be pretty worthless, positive or negative.

It does, though I wouldn't call it a widespread problem, and even when it does happen those sorts of reviews generally get weeded out from the store page within a few days of quality reviews (positive or negative) getting more votes. It's more of a problem on the day of release -- earlier today I clicked on The Witness and the first review I saw was a negative one with 0.2 hours that simply said "Snake with better graphics."

I definitely agree on the lack of merit from any review, positive or negative, placed with less than two hours of playtime. Especially for something like The Witness which seems to consistently iterate and expand on its ideas as you progress.

I can't say I didn't expect this blowup over 'censorship' when that stuff was removed, but ti always makes me sad to see.

I looked up the thing that got cut and it's incredibly mild. I thought it would be like rubbing someone's butt or something like that, but it's just face touching, which is maybe a bit strange but not really worth getting up in arms about. I hope we're only getting half the story and they've replaced it with something else instead of just axing the feature and the apparent multitude of content it contains. To use a strained metaphor, I hope they've used a scalpel and not a hatchet in regards to localization. Because they've certainly done both before. In the thread, I suggested adding a big hug button to the minigame because everyone loves hug buttons.

Edit: As Mike Williams (a really great writer for US Gamer and prolific GAF poster that you should pay attention to) pointed out in the thread, face rubbing was likely cut to cut down on localization costs because it has a ton of unique voiced dialogue. That makes more sense to me than "touching someone's face is weird."

Antiwhippy

Not that I mind getting creepy time to time, but I also have to roll my eyes at people getting too over-zealous about their need to be creepy.

yami4ct

Back in my day we played Fire Emblem for the good strategy gameplay with an anime storyline. Nowadays it's all about marrying the characters and touching them.

If import reviews are to be beloved, good strategy might be making a triumphant return to the franchise. Damn I'm excited for Fates.

I looked up the thing that got cut and it's incredibly mild. I thought it would be like rubbing someone's butt or something like that, but it's just face touching, which is maybe a bit strange but not really worth getting up in arms about. I hope we're only getting half the story and they've replaced it with something else instead of just axing the feature and the apparent multitude of content it contains. To use a strained metaphor, I hope they've used a scalpel and not a hatchet in regards to localization. Because they've certainly done both before. In the thread, I suggested adding a big hug button to the minigame because everyone loves hug buttons.

As far as I know, the only thing locked behind the face rubbing is some really awkward and useless dialogue. It has zero gameplay reason to exist.

they really seem to be removing/changing a lot from games lately

is Nintendo really going that hard with fanservice, because I'd expect better from them

yami4ct

wait. The dialogue that, in Awakening, improved your relationship level was changed to petting? As in you have to pet to reach S-rank?

I know shit about this one so I'm confused.

Nope. The relationship system works pretty much exactly the same as Awakening. There was nothing 100% locked behind the petting. Maybe you get a bonus to your relationship score, but that stuff was easy to get in Awakening as is.

is Nintendo really going that hard with fanservice, because I'd expect better from them

I think it's more to do with a few games that have built up over the years coming out in the West relatively close together. Bravely Default's change wasn't fan service based, and that game wasn't Nintendo's to begin with. They are just publishing it in their west. The Xenoblade fan service sucked, but that's sadly pretty normal in that kind of JRPG. They are just harder on it than most publishers. Fatal Frame is a similar situation to Bravely Default. Nintendo published, but not made. Fire Emblem has sadly become more fan service based since Awakening, but this specific part wasn't even well received in Japan.

Bowlie

Banned
Nope. The relationship system works pretty much exactly the same as Awakening. There was nothing 100% locked behind the petting. Maybe you get a bonus to your relationship score, but that stuff was easy to get in Awakening as is.

oooh, got it. Thanks, yami

Antiwhippy

as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to keep my creepy pervy stuff to creepy pervy games. FE doesn't need that shit. seriously.

I also kinda just want better relationship stuff than just petting people.

Just give me a full blown dating sim with the strategy stuff.

There's a fun idea at the core of Tharsis but there's just not enough meaningful player interaction beyond fairly obvious decisions and dice randomness. It's incredibly sparse, even for $15.

Dineren

Banned
I was pretty surprised that it was removed because of how mild it was and the fact that it wasn't gender restricted. Sadly, I can't say I was surprised to see the massive overreaction from some people though. Makes me glad I have the hide thread script so I can just ignore it.

yami4ct

I also kinda just want better relationship stuff than just petting people.

Just give me a full blown dating sim with the strategy stuff.

We need more well written Dating Sim elements in games in general. Assuming you do it well, it's a great way to give you small moments with your cast. Not to mention, Dating Sims are pretty fun in general.

yami4ct

don't touch my face

also, this is war. no time for shipping

I don't feel the need to be able to romance the entire cast, but I love the dumb strategy of pairing up people in order to make their babies super units later on.

I'm extremely torn on how I feel about the marriage system overall.

I think I'm going to hold off on the Witness after all. The impressions don't seem to indicate that there is Fez-like revelations that I feel would be ruined if I came in late. I think I'll wait. Maybe I'll try it with the Oculus Rift at some point.

If you look at the Fire Emblem stuff, it's just a face being touched by an invisible hand. It's a bit odd, but I wouldn't really call it fanservice in the sense you're using it. Cutting it wholesale seems like a poor solution unless they're cost cutting, and I also think that about Xenoblade's infamous bust slider, which should have had it's lower bound raised instead of being cut entirely.

To complete this whole thing because why not, I think adding new outfits to Fatal Frame was a good solution as was changing Bravely Second to not be racist against Native Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom