• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This......isn't bad....?

The Japanese music industry is really weird and I would love to see some actual bands and musicians come out of there instead of just all of the J-pop and weird idol shit.

there are more actual bands than any one person could ever listen to in a lifetime, but 99.9% of them will exist in international obscurity. on the one hand, it makes what happens in the scene pretty unique. on the other... most people will never know

daydream

Banned
This......isn't bad....?

The Japanese music industry is really weird and I would love to see some actual bands and musicians come out of there instead of just all of the J-pop and weird idol shit.

it's fucking amazing is what it is

also, there's plenty of that. stump will put it infinitely better than i will but the idol stuff is extremely easy to avoid and what you'll be left with is one of the freshest and most interesting music scenes going at the moment, especially (but not exclusively) in the indie space

I wish there was more japanese jazz like in the ending to the current Lupin the Third series.

check out indigo jam unit

justjim89

I think I hate The Witness. I keep banging my head against it, and most of the more difficult puzzle solutions haven't been out of cleverness but dumb luck. At this point I'm having to
raise and lower a water level over and over
and ugh just fucking kill me.

omgkitty

there are more actual bands than any one person could ever listen to in a lifetime, but 99.9% of them will exist in international obscurity. on the one hand, it makes what happens in the scene pretty unique. on the other... most people will never know

But with the language barrier it seems impossible to find especially when the only stuff to be actively pushed by the media is the stuff people normally associate with Japan. If you have some recommendations I'd love to see them.

daydream

Banned
But with the language barrier it seems impossible to find especially when the only stuff to be actively pushed by the media is the stuff people normally associate with Japan. If you have some recommendations I'd love to see them.

so, in terms of research, a mixture of copy & pasting into google, google translate and the j-music thread have pretty much rendered the language barrier a non-issue for me

omgkitty

I wish there was more japanese jazz like in the ending to the current Lupin the Third series.

Check out a band called Sleepwalker. No idea where I found them at, but they do some Jazz stuff and are Japanese. I've had an album of their's for a few years now that's pretty good (though it might be closer to more traditional jazz than OVA stuff).

so, in terms of research, a mixture of copy & pasting into google, google translate and the j-music thread have pretty much rendered the language barrier a non-issue for me

For me, I guess I never really tried. I associated the standard J-pop stuff with Japan for the most part, and the stuff I did know about like Nujabes obviously is very popular here on GAF and is in some anime. I just noticed a lot of the people who follow that scene seem to only follow that scene, so I'm not seeing a lot of asian music pop up on any year end lists or whatever and accompanied by things I've heard of.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising really - read a story the other day that stated over 90% of PS4s sold were sold outside of Japan
The big EU countries each bought more PS4s than Japan. I would've never believed you if you told me that during the PS2 era.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean it depends on where you're looking. Like, I grew up on stuff like hydeout productions, boris, melt-banana, Boredoms, and all sorts of weird, awesome shit. I rarely associate japanese music with j-pop.

Bowlie

Banned
I think I hate The Witness. I keep banging my head against it, and most of the more difficult puzzle solutions haven't been out of cleverness but dumb luck. At this point I'm having to

I saw your spoiler and daamn, if I'm only 1 hour in and loving it who knows what is waiting for me

omgkitty

I mean it depends on where you're looking. Like, I grew up on stuff like hydeout productions, boris, melt-banana, Boredoms, and all sorts of weird, awesome shit. I rarely associate japanese music with j-pop.

Obviously I'm ignorant to this side of music in general, so if people want to shoot me PM's or whatever with stuff to check out, I'm all for it.

daydream

Banned
For me, I guess I never really tried. I associated the standard J-pop stuff with Japan for the most part, and the stuff I did know about like Nujabes obviously is very popular here on GAF and is in some anime. I just noticed a lot of the people who follow that scene seem to only follow that scene, so I'm not seeing a lot of asian music pop up on any year end lists or whatever and accompanied by things I've heard of.

for the record, i don't follow that scene myself, i just enjoy good music (bold, i know). also, i really couldn't care less about how popular something is, i decided to give charisma.com a shot last year since it's come up in the context of gb before - jeff likes them, for example - and since then it's been one discovery after another of amazing stuff

only japanese artists i was really listening to on a bigger scale before that (aside from game and film composers, obviously) was the aforementioned jazz group indigo jam unit which is incredible and which i've also first heard about in a gaf thread, coincidentally

also, as a sidenote, as fresh as the music is, the music videos aren't trailing far behind. they're positively insane most of the time (but in an interesting way)

if you want rock bands then kurita is your dude, i guess just go through some of his posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155079100&postcount=5524
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171055547&postcount=6651

a lot of shit i like is pretty hard to recommend though, I'm not sure I'm a great resource for that.

though if you're curious, I've been keeping a playlist of videos that caught my attention this year

here's one for 2015

this is where I came from. all the other stuff just kind of developed out of that.

omgkitty

for the record, i don't follow that scene myself, i just enjoy good music (bold, i know). also, i really couldn't care less about how popular something is, i decided to give charisma.com a shot last year since it's come up in the context of gb before - jeff likes them, for example - and since then it's been one discovery after another of amazing stuff

only japanese artists i was really listening to on a bigger scale before that (aside from game and film composers, obviously) was the aforementioned jazz group indigo jam unit which is incredible and which i've also first heard about in a gaf thread, coincidentally

also, as a sidenote, as fresh as the music is, the music videos aren't trailing far behind. they're positively insane most of the time (but in an interesting way)

if you want rock bands then kurita is your dude, i guess just go through some of his posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155079100&postcount=5524
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171055547&postcount=6651

a lot of shit i like is pretty hard to recommend though, I'm not sure I'm a great resource for that.

though if you're curious, I've been keeping a playlist of videos that caught my attention this year

here's one for 2015

this is where I came from. all the other stuff just kind of developed out of that.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll check this stuff out!

My main hesitation in picking up The Witness is that this will be my exact experience

Pomo

throwing another recommendation for Boris and Boredoms in here, as well as Otomo Yoshihide's crazy experimental stuff. Check out Ground Zero if you want some real sonic madness.

It's Trial and Error: The Video Game. Some of the puzzles have been neat and the map is colorful, but so far I'd say wait until the game is less than $10.

I highly disagree. It gradually teaches you how certain puzzles work. There's a mix of thinking inside and outside of the box in combination to this. I've found some genius puzzles that really make you look at the game itself differently.

It definitely isn't trial and error.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Uyama hiroto and kenmochi hidefumi are always great for jazz stuff.

Jazztronik, quasimode, mondo grosso and all that stuff.

Wow, The Witness is beauuuuutiful. I can't wait to play it with the Rift.

Is talk about The Division positive? Want to see if I should make an effort to play the beta.
I think most people (myself included) adjusted their expectations for the game, and this is likely why impressions have been pretty positive. It's not redefining the genre or anything, but it seems like a fun co-op loot shooter.

Giant Bombcast 01/26/2016
Episode Notes
2819496-unnamed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom