• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the only person in the world who is completely bouncing off of The Witness. I'm 4 hours in and it's just not fun. It makes me feel stupid and then when I figure something out, I feel relieved that it's over. The movement is lame, not being able to drop off ledges sucks, and for every clever puzzle or neat mechanic it feels like there's two more that might as well be shaped like a big middle finger.

I'll keep playing it, because it cost me half of my month's income and I don't wanna let it win, but I just don't get what's fun about it.

Think outside of the box. It's the best I can say. Don't tackle the ones that bust you open, you can leave those behind.

what the fuck there is a donald rumsfeld game

Game Developer Donald Rumsfeld released his first game on iOS! He's more of a game developer than you and me. :(

Tubobutts

I feel like the only person in the world who is completely bouncing off of The Witness. I'm 4 hours in and it's just not fun. It makes me feel stupid and then when I figure something out, I feel relieved that it's over. The movement is lame, not being able to drop off ledges sucks, and for every clever puzzle or neat mechanic it feels like there's two more that might as well be shaped like a big middle finger.

I'll keep playing it, because it cost me half of my month's income and I don't wanna let it win, but I just don't get what's fun about it.

That sounds similar to how I feel about Souls games.

we live in strange times

I think it's cool that Rumsfeld made a game, well atleast dictated the creation of this game to cohorts. It's..it's a way to let this game continue? Supposedly only him and a few others only knew about this version of Solitaire, the profits are going to charity, Rumsfeld is in his twliight years, it's...I dunno, there's something neat about that. It's amicable of sorts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean not to tell you how to live but man.

If the witness cost you half a month of income I'd just wait for it to go on sale.

even with infinite fuel, it's silly hard to land a spaceplane on mun.

I think it's cool that Rumsfeld made a game, well atleast dictated the creation of this game to cohorts. It's..it's a way to let this game continue? Supposedly only him and a few others only knew about this version of Solitaire, the profits are going to charity, Rumsfeld is in his twliight years, it's...I dunno, there's something neat about that. It's amicable of sorts.

i think it's fucking fascinating that we live in a time where it's even possible for something like this to happen.

justjim89

I mean not to tell you how to live but man.

If the witness cost you half a month of income I'd just wait for it to go on sale.

Eh, I live with my folks and don't have a ton of expenses, so it's not as big a deal as I perhaps made it sound. I likely would have bought a game anyhow, but Brad hyping up The Witness really made me wanna check it out in case it was another Fez.

Antiwhippy

Eh, I live with my folks and don't have a ton of expenses, so it's not as big a deal as I perhaps made it sound. I likely would have bought a game anyhow, but Brad hyping up The Witness really made me wanna check it out in case it was another Fez.

Oh, nah, that's fair enough then.

I've stumbled across a couple of things in like the first 3 hours of playing The Witness that literally made me say "Oh shit" and gave me goosebumps.

Now, time to listen to the Bombcast.

Megasoum

Banned
Well that guy managed to make me stop playing The Witness... Good job sir!

I think I'll just watch him and relax a bit before going to bed.

CUb68K7WwAIAwrP.jpg

justjim89

I've stumbled across a couple of things in like the first 3 hours of playing The Witness that literally made me say "Oh shit" and gave me goosebumps.

Now, time to listen to the Bombcast.

Like what, exactly? Not trying to shit on the game, i'm just genuinely curious because I haven't seen anything terribly compelling thus far.

Like what, exactly? Not trying to shit on the game, i'm just genuinely curious because I haven't seen anything terribly compelling thus far.

Not him but what gave me goosebumps was-
Using the suns glare to create white lines on reflective surfaces
In the boat house that Jeff/Brad go to the quick look, the machine with the black circle is later used as a line to trace when you're on the cliff opposite to it, and using the reflection of that machine to create another line
Using the rock pillars to trace a line-can't cross the rock or its reflections, and later on using forced perspective to line up 4 pillars off to the side.

Those are the ones I've discovered within 2 hours, but there's some really genius stuff in there.

Two examples, super spoilery, what I assume is extra stuff. Seriously, don't click if you don't want to get spoiled.

A hidden movie theater that played a James Burke Connections clip when I put in a solution I found hidden somewhere else and then finding puzzles that aren't tied to screens at all.

Also, guess I'm not listening to the Bombcast yet. This piano dude is too entertaining.

Dineren

Banned
Thanks, I'm really hoping this game turns around for me. Maybe I just need to explore and say fuck the puzzles for now.

You've probably already seen this advice, but just in case you haven't. Make sure on the tutorial sections that you experiment with the puzzles to make sure you understand exactly what is going on. I've only had one section so far a few hours in where I had trouble and it was because I rushed through the panels thinking I knew what to do and then hit a wall because I had a misunderstanding of how to solve them. It was particularly annoying because I was stuck in that area until I figured it out (and I couldn't get back to the tutorial puzzles).

So even if you seem to know what is going on, try to solve them in different ways to see what works and what doesn't.

I still don't know if I should go for SFV on PC or PS4.

I'm getting both (assuming my laptop can run it), though I'm starting off with the PS4 version.

There isn't any differences besides PC mods and there's crossplay so it's really whatever you prefer. Though PC might be better because it'll support more sticks.

LiK

Decided to watch Witness QL. I like that they start in the beginning and Jeff is playing! Gonna enjoy this and see how far they go.

Edit: not too far. But I'm glad I didn't watch it before I played through some of those earlier puzzles.

I can't get the BeastCast premium feed to work in PocketCasts for some reason!

I've been using https://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/beastcast-premium/

With username and password replaced with my actual info, but no dice!

Anyone? Help? :'(

Edit: stupid gaf auto urling! Go away auto URL!

Edit2: I can get it to work with other premium podcasts...hmmmmmmm...

Edit3: I've tried this URL as well https://YourGBUsername:GBPassword@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premiumbeastcast/

Still nothing!

Edit4: just using http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/beastcast-premium/

Seems to work without the login info, but if I change it to 'https' then I get generic art. Weird!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, I have no idea what it is. Maybe it's a time between me playing them or something but every time I see a new SFV bit it's kind of like 'eh that's cool'

but every time i see a new tekken bit it's like 'damn that looks awesome!' and i'm not a huge tekken fan at all

Kinda the opposite for me. Tekken definitely looks cool, but I've been eating up any SFV gameplay I can see. The high level play especially is gonna be nuts.

I see the V system as capcom making sfV more like an arcsys fighter.

So I'm pretty fucking pumped.

There's definitely an emphasis with SFV to make each character feel wildly different than the others in the same way Arcsys games do. Hell, Ken and Ryu have never been more different from each other than they are in this game.

Of course, SFV is much more simpler than an arcsys game.

Antiwhippy

Oh I don't mean it in complexity, but the V system seems like it's pretty much the drive system to me.

I want to see sfV get to the point where we have to do Roman fadc
no I don't.

Joeku

So the 26th was my birthday, and I introduced my friend to The Witness a couple hours in, then together we played a bunch of The Witness and got too drunk to continue to play The Witness and instead ate pizza and watched Futurama.

All of the aforementioned are good. The Witness is goddamn fantastic. Mild spoilers:
3 lasers in. Mad stuck on one red-background tetrimono puzzle, but maybe I was too inebriated for it.

I'm avoiding the OT and all social media around it for fear of spoilers. How full of Mad Max references has it been?

Oh I don't mean it in complexity, but the V system seems like it's pretty much the drive system to me.

I want to see sfV get to the point where we have to do Roman fadc
no I don't.

You can actually use V-trigger activations in a similar way to a roman cancel since you can use them to extend combos, make unsafe moves safe, and in certain character's cases, quickly close the gap for pressure. The stuff you can do is pretty dirty.

Antiwhippy

Oh wait I didn't mean RC, because a fadc is kinda that already. Things will start getting too far when you have to do false Roman cancels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom