• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my stopping point last night might be the exact spot Drew talked about on the Bombcast. Got four puzzles in a string no problem, and then the fifth seemed to reveal that I didn't actually know the logic of this puzzle sequence. What a great fucking game, I can't wait to get home and keep playing.
What area?

...said TheMrIroqoiusPliskin...
Follow the money

popo

On the homepage it says The Darkest Dungeon but the quick look says Darkest Dungeon. Maybe I'm the only sane one?

Nah I saw it. Both yesterday and today. I suspect it was originally put in the schedule wrong and then someone saw it and corrected it, but missed one of the tags - which they saw went it when live and fixed.

Alex seems the only one who has played this game so it makes sense him driving, but I always prefer if they can get different people to do the Unfinished and the QL.

I wonder if Alex will have thoughts on the late game grind - which I think might have killed this game for me.

Very early.

In the first sub-island area, I was drawing lines around pillars sticking out of the water in the background. The fifth puzzle, doing so didn't work.

Please note that I am NOT asking for the solution.

Not giving a solution but this puzzle's mechanic is one of my few issues with the game so far.

LiK

Nah I saw it. Both yesterday and today. I suspect it was originally put in the schedule wrong and then someone saw it and corrected it, but missed one of the tags - which they saw went it when live and fixed.

Alex seems the only one who has played this game so it makes sense him driving, but I always prefer if they can get different people to do the Unfinished and the QL.

I wonder if Alex will have thoughts on the late game grind - which I think might have killed this game for me.

even the early grind is annoying. I love the actual dungeon crawling but trying to manage the gold for fixing stress and provisions is beyond tedious. is there a cheat engine for extra gold? lol

Very early.

In the first sub-island area, I was drawing lines around pillars sticking out of the water in the background. The fifth puzzle, doing so didn't work.

I know exactly what you're talking about, I got stuck there and left it but got it immediately after I came back to it.

Dineren

Banned
Interesting, I'll check back in when I figure it out tonight.

And it wasn't the spot Drew was talking about, I listened to a few more minutes of the podcast and he specifies.

That one clicked with me instantly thankfully. I wasn't so lucky with all of them though.

I ended up staring at a puzzle last night that feels like it should be easy, but after 20 minutes of staring I just couldn't get it. I think I know all the rules, but I just can't see the solution.

It is one of the most maddening experiences I've had in a game, but I am so close to the end of that section that I can't bring myself to move on to a different one.

Bowlie

Banned
It took a bit to get going, but S;G is soooooo goooood.

it's hard to sell the game to other people because nothing happens during the first hours, and Okarin is unlikable as hell. Glad to see you kept playing!

---

Finished Mark of the Ninja here. Great way to do a twist at the end.
spent the whole credits looking at the monster i've become.

I wish I other platformers were as good to play as this one.

Patryn

Very early.

I think I know what you're talking about.

Took me a long time to figure that one out. I also walked away and came back a little later, because I knew i was close.

That's the only puzzle so far where I felt like the solution wasn't worth the effort.

omgkitty

Very early.

Yeah the reviewer on Kotaku had the exact same issue. Even has a picture of the puzzle itself in the review. I actually figured out what to do fairly quickly on that one, but it took me some time to actually execute it correctly.

omgkitty

Took me a long time to figure that one out. I also walked away and came back a little later, because I knew i was close.

That's the only puzzle so far where I felt like the solution wasn't worth the effort.

Yep, that one and a couple others in that sequence are very annoying. I liked the moment I figured out what to do but trying to get it exactly right is a huge pain in the ass.

Fireblend

Banned
it's hard to sell the game to other people because nothing happens during the first hours, and Okarin is unlikable as hell. Glad to see you kept playing!

Yeah, it's not for everyone. The first ~4 chapters were real rough for me, with Okabe acting in the most obnoxious-stupid ways possible and the anime cranked up to 11, but when the sci-fi plot takes over it takes a turn for the awesome. I still cringe hard at some of it, specially some of Daru's "jokes" and most of the Lukako plot, which made me feel real uncomfortable and disconnected from Okabe, but I love most of the cast and the constant mind-blowing plot twists.

I know exactly what you're talking about, I got stuck there and left it but got it immediately after I came back to it.

That one clicked with me instantly thankfully. I wasn't so lucky with all of them though.

I ended up staring at a puzzle last night that feels like it should be easy, but after 20 minutes of staring I just couldn't get it. I think I know all the rules, but I just can't see the solution.

It is one of the most maddening experiences I've had in a game, but I am so close to the end of that section that I can't bring myself to move on to a different one.

Yeah the reviewer on Kotaku had the exact same issue. Even has a picture of the puzzle itself in the review. I actually figured out what to do fairly quickly on that one, but it took me some time to actually execute it correctly.

Very interesting. I guess I won't get my hopes up too much for a revelatory "aha!" moment.

Unrelated, I have a theory about the nature of the game. This is pure speculation from me, so it might be absolutely nothing or a spoiler:

Might the island change, or be different depending on something? Those first puzzles you do in the game have multiple solutions, I'm wondering if the island's configuration is determined by the solution you use.

Regarding that puzzle (Sleeping Lesson don't read this!!!)

You just look at the panel from the other side, right? So it lines up with the palm trees. Not sure what "execution" has to do with it.

Did they push for it? I know Devolver Digital has been trying for a while now to get the rights to publish it.

They pushed to message Sony about it. If you look at their playthrough descriptions they specify who to message on twitter.

See, Darkest Dungeon looks hard but fair, compared to Tharsis.

popo

even the early grind is annoying. I love the actual dungeon crawling but trying to manage the gold for fixing stress and provisions is beyond tedious. is there a cheat engine for extra gold? lol

I solved the money problem using the suggested "cheese" method of grinding with low level teams and discarding them, rather than healing them, but then I realised you needed 12 max levelled characters to even attempt the final dungeons and I have not played since.

There is a cheat engine. I considered using a trainer briefly. I am good on gold but you can set it to "one hit kills" for levelling up base characters.

You just look at the panel from the other side, right? So it lines up with the palm trees. Not sure what "execution" has to do with it.

For me it seemed like the perspective stuff was very finicky. Even after having it solved and knowing what I did I thought how it lines up can kind of change very easily but look complete-able. I'm waiting til I see more perspective stuff before I say it's any kind of issue, this is the only one where I thought it just seemed like it was off a bit most of the time.

omgkitty

I think he's talking about the one before that a few back.
The one where you have to look at the rocks over to the right and not the rocks right in front of you.

LiK

I solved the money problem using the suggested "cheese" method of grinding with low level teams and discarding them, rather than healing them, but then I realised you needed 12 max levelled characters to even attempt the final dungeons and I have not played since.

There is a cheat engine. I considered using a trainer briefly. I am good on gold but you can set it to "one hit kills" for levelling up base characters.

good, I will consider it. I wish the difficulty curve was better. quirks stack up like crazy way too quickly in the early dungeons.

Yeah, I got stuck on the puzzle that's like 1 or 2 before that where you need to change your angle to see different rocks and I thought that was a little finicky. As you say, the palm tree one was easy compared to that.

omgkitty

Yeah, I got stuck on the puzzle that's like 1 or 2 before that where you need to change your angle to see different rocks and I thought that was a little finicky. As you say, the palm tree one was easy compared to that.

My main issues with those were knowing what I was supposed to do but then having to figure out the exact spot to stand in to get it just right.

My main issues with those were knowing what I was supposed to do but then having to figure out the exact spot to stand in to get it just right.

This was more my issue. Even though I had more trouble with the palm trees than the rocks, but I kept feeling like I was supposed to stand in a specific spot that I couldn't find.

omgkitty

This was more my issue. Even though I had more trouble with the palm trees than the rocks, but I kept feeling like I was supposed to stand in a specific spot that I couldn't find.

Yeah those trees are a huge pain. Had to keep moving up and back until I could get them to fit within the boxes correctly. I never checked this but I wonder if you enter the correct solution without adjusting your aspect if it would still work or if the puzzle being correct relies on you standing in that position.

I wasn't planning on playing The Witness anytime soon, but this podcast is tempting me. Man did they ever fawn over it.

Even thought they went with SMM as their GOTY, MGSV was the first time in years that I could remember the crew gushing over a game collectively in such a way. The Witness seems even more beloved and, yeah, it's super tempting to pick it up after the QL and this podcast.

I'll hold, though, i got enough shit on my plate as it is

omgkitty

I wasn't planning on playing The Witness anytime soon, but this podcast is tempting me. Man did they ever fawn over it.

It's very strange how different the game feels from normal game experiences and in a way that's kinda hard to explain. They did a very good job on the podcast. It very much pulls you into the game in a way that I didn't expect at all. At this point in playing The Talos Principle, I was already annoyed by some of its mechanics and I don't feel that way at all here.

Okay, listening to the Bombcast, is there some kind of map feature or room in The Witness that I haven't found yet? Jeff referred to an area as "Shady Trees" and everyone immediately knew what he was talking about but I saw about a billion trees in the two hours I played last night. I kind of wish there was at the very least an unmarked map that you could mark for future reference.

The Witness is the sort of puzzle game I love. Sure you're walking around and whatnot, but when it comes to the puzzles it just puts them there in front of you. Professor Layton, too. Games like The Talos Principle or even stuff like Papo Y Yo may have clever puzzles, but doing them feels like a damn chore where you know the solution but executing is laborious.

omgkitty

Okay, listening to the Bombcast, is there some kind of map feature or room in The Witness that I haven't found yet? Jeff referred to an area as "Shady Trees" and everyone immediately knew what he was talking about but I saw about a billion trees in the two hours I played last night. I kind of wish there was at the very least an unmarked map that you could mark for future reference.

This might be a spoiler, though it has been in trailers.
There's a boat that has a map on it, though nothing is named. Shady Tree's is sort of self explanatory once you've been there though.

This might be a spoiler, though it has been in trailers.
There's a boat that has a map on it, though nothing is named. Shady Tree's is sort of self explanatory once you've been there though.

Ah, that makes sense -- I asked because I could have sworn I saw a screenshot of a map and that's probably what I saw. Thanks.

omgkitty

Ah, that makes sense -- I asked because I could have sworn I saw a screenshot of a map and that's probably what I saw. Thanks.

Yep, the best part is that map shows the symbols associated with each area so once your start running across puzzles with different symbols in an area that doesn't have them (like those stupid Tetris-esque blocks I keep seeing) you'll know where to go to learn about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom