• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Saints Row 2 did a real good job of creating an interesting city, with diverse neighborhoods, and way more building interiors than any other game in the series or GTA for that matter. Stuff like the underground mall and the air and space museum, as well as the massive underground Area 51 base with Red Faction vehicles, was all fantastic. Steelport in 3 was a complete bore.

Also the Diversion side missions were at their peak in that game, it's a crime that the FUZZ diversion did not return for SR3. A fucking crime.

Whaaaaat @ the bolded. I don't remember any of that.

SR3's a thousand times more fun overall, though. Even as barebones as it is. SR3 completely let go of the "but I wanna be GTA" aspect that held Saint's Row back for so long.

kvk1

Code Talker: A parasite has infected your band.
Drew (in mock Snake voice): How do you know about my band? We're super underground.

Delightful.

Code Talker: A parasite has infected your band.
Drew (in mock Snake voice): How do you know about my band? We're super underground.

Delightful.

Wait he just now got to code talker? I guess I'm actually ahead of Drew still. That means I have a few episodes of MGScanlon that I can watch without being spoiled.

Kerbal hype in the Beastcast! They said the next two episodes are something special. They were cautious to spoil what exactly makes them so special.

kuppy

Really enjoyed the Powerbombcast.
Saw the Lucha Underground thread earlier today and already figured that I should check it out, would be pretty cool if Netflix grabs it.

Their concept for the future episodes sounds solid. If they would do that justice I might actually consider subscribing to the WWE Network to follow along.

I just saw Halo playing on ESPN. Boy, if EPSN wants to ensure eSports is never a thing they're doing a bang up job.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if ESPN wants to be successful with E-Sports, they should air games that are sport-like. A game like Rocket League would be ideal. See, I think for E-Sports to take off mainstream, they should begin with familiarity. Rocket League would be a nice bridge. I believe people would be enticed to see all aspects of E-Sports then. You ease them in, not have them jump into the deep end right away.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just saw Halo playing on ESPN. Boy, if EPSN wants to ensure eSports is never a thing they're doing a bang up job.

I was scrolling on ESPN.com last week and just out of nowhere a story jumped up about how Yellowstar is adjusting to TSM. It was real weird. e-sports is here and we never got around to giving it a better name.

yami4ct

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if ESPN wants to be successful with E-Sports, they should air games that are sport-like. A game like Rocket League would be ideal. See, I think for E-Sports to take off mainstream, they should begin with familiarity. Rocket League would be a nice bridge. I believe people would be enticed to see all aspects of E-Sports then. You ease them in, not have them jump into the deep end right away.

If you want to acclimate the traditional sports crowd, that's probably the best option. Long term, the people who are going to end up the most successful are probably a new outlet that picks up on scenes that develop naturally like MOBAs and builds on those. Trying to force a competitive league out of something like Halo has zero chance of taking off.

FPSes are the literal worst way you could introduce your audience. They are impossible to watch. Even with commentators telling you why this stuff is important, you're always in the perspective of one player. It's impossible to see the teamwork or flow of the game from that perspective.

Dineren

Banned
Well, I'm sold on The Division. It may not have the most exciting setting, but the gunplay is fun and I love ever-increasing numbers. I just wonder how much content it will have. I survived vanilla destiny because I had a fireteam that regularly played, but I'd probably be going solo here.

Hopefully they have enough to make it worth coming back. Has Brad mentioned having any interest in it? I'd be curious to hear his thoughts.

Watching that I was worried they were going to somehow win. Glad to see they at least got dqed.

If you want to acclimate the traditional sports crowd, that's probably the best option. Long term, the people who are going to end up the most successful are probably a new outlet that picks up on scenes that develop naturally like MOBAs and builds on those. Trying to force a competitive league out of something like Halo has zero chance of taking off.

FPSes are the literal worst way you could introduce your audience. They are impossible to watch. Even with commentators telling you why this stuff is important, you're always in the perspective of one player. It's impossible to see the teamwork or flow of the game from that perspective.

Some of the most fun I've had watching people play video games in a competitive venue was when they used to have those Madden Bowls and they'd have a round where they pitted actual NFL players against each other. I also remember a neat story that happened during an NHL lockout, where a bar in Ohio had an event where they had people playing EA Sport's NHL release of that year. They even had the team's radio play-by-play call the game. The crowd was way into it. http://deadspin.com/5953422/columbu...jackets-radio-announcers-showed-up-to-call-it Now imagine that, but broadcast through ESPN.

I imagine this is hardly an original thought, but seeing the thumbnail for today's UPF suddenly made me wonder if Dan is kind of GB's Urkel.

Edit: I swear to god if Dan is going to start selling that shirt

omgkitty

So much for new Dan.

Dan Ryckert @DanRyckert
This video game has been lecturing me for a long-ass time about the meaning of life or something, and I just want to solve some line puzzles

Just started watching the UPF. I think Brad's discovering that putting Amiibos on the gamepad is giving him the same feeling that unlocking Dota chests do.

RIP

Edit: Oh god he's making the Brad noises too

justjim89

It'd be great if Dan didn't like The Witness. Someone else on this fucking planet has to be underwhelmed by it otherwise I'm just nuts.

FluxWaveZ

It'd be great if Dan didn't like The Witness. Someone else on this fucking planet has to be underwhelmed by it otherwise I'm just nuts.

Well, I feel like I wouldn't have a lot of fun with it if I played it, but I haven't heard many people who have say they didn't enjoy it. There were a couple of low review scores when they were first coming out for the game.

KingKong

I wouldn't say I'm underwhelmed but I definitely didn't see any amazing mind-blowing moments reviewers were gushing about it. It was more like 'hah that's clever'

Lunar FC

It's just alright for me so far, nothing has BLOWN MY MIND yet. Maybe it's just that I'm bad at puzzle games, about 115 puzzles in currently.

So much for new Dan.

Dan Ryckert @DanRyckert
This video game has been lecturing me for a long-ass time about the meaning of life or something, and I just want to solve some line puzzles

To be fair, Brad was kind of underwhelmed by that stuff too (though the phrasing is clearly Old Dan).

yami4ct

So, I stumbled on an hour long supercut of every version of the Fire Emblem theme.

Guys, the Fire Emblem theme might be too good. It's so good.

justjim89

To be fair, Brad was kind of underwhelmed by that stuff too (though the phrasing is clearly Old Dan).

I mean, there's only so many ways to put it. Even if I was having the time of my life with the world and puzzles, those audiologs are a stark reminder of "Oh right, I forgot I'm playing a pretentious ass indie game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom